LegacyGT.com

me again....05LGT shop list(pic)

Here is a pic of my repair quote. Just wondering if I'm on track here. I'm new to my area so I'm trying out my first mechanic. Hopefully these guys are honest and knowledgeable.

They recommend doing all these things ALONG with the timing belt. So the only thing it needs is that driver's side boot (i understand that), and one of the idler rollers are almost fried(the main issue). He thinks the timing belt is good but is this a risk I should take? He repeatedly told me he didn't want to sell me a belt I don't need.

All the other things are repairs he said we "might as well do". Which I understand, but I'm unsure if it should be this extensive.

Shed some light mechanics. I'm just trying to learn what I can about these cars.

Oh one more thing. He said he quoted me for the "beefier" parts because if I'm going to mod, it's slightly cheaper insurance.

I will go turbo back exhaust and stage 2 tune MAX so can I save some pennies by just going OEM?

Thanks!

140k mileage

No maintenance records I can find.

TOTAL: ~$1,400 :(

2013-01-11_11-51-27_141_crop.thumb.jpg.7c01d2aefe170fed9518a0f5d06b45a6.jpg

That's a bit high.

I think the Gates timing belt kit is like $350 and has most of the parts in it.

If he's talking using better parts, he's using the Gates kit in most cases.

But they also say that Gates makes the OEM kit.

I think most timing belt jobs are around a $1000 or less.

Where do you live ? may be we can send you to someone.

The cam seals are a big job so may be that's where the some of the labor is.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i personally would not do the cam seals unless they're leaking. If you're doing the timing belt they're not a big job but generally to do them without removing the valve covers you're talking about requiring a specialty tool. I've always been able to place them in by hand with the valve covers off at the right depth successfully, but I've also done it wrong before so now I know.

Is this a dealership or private shop?

As already stated its a little bit high. I question what beefier parts he's using, because theres nothing listed that I think would require anything out of the norm.(i.e. kevlar timing belt, etc...) my problem with that is theres almost no aftermarket idlers out there that I know of. maybe he means an sti water pump, but Im not sure how much merit there is to those waterpumps vs. a standard gates.

I dunno, seems high, what is his labor rate?

I will ask their labor rate.

And I'll just tell them to keep it oem, no beefier parts and what-not. He did say i can shave some of that cost with that route.

Its a private shop in Asheville, NC. FWIW, yelp gave them 4+ stars with over 40 reviews so that is why I decided to use them.

I can't fault them so far. But the thermostat and water pump? Rly? AHHH, i wish I knew whether it had been done before or not. If the belt is fine is it ok to re-use it?

If you're replacing the water pump, you have to take the timing belt off to do it. Might as well throw the belt in there when you do it, they're good to 105k

its the timing belt in question. the shop wants to take care of the water pump while they're there. im questioning this in curiosity.

I'll go out on a limb here and say leave the water and T stat alone. Just replace the belt and idlers.

Use good anti-freeze and be done with it.

Why are they changing the cam seals ?

No only reason people replace the water pump and Tstat is because (if) they go bad it's a big job to replace them.

Has anyone here ever had a water pump go on these cars ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll go out on a limb here and say leave the water and T stat alone. Just replace the belt and idlers.

Use good anti-freeze and be done with it.

Why are they changing the cam seals ?

No only reason people replace the water pump and Tstat is because (if) they go bad it's a big job to replace them.

Has anyone here ever had a water pump go on these cars ?

THIS. good answer sir.

To answer you, the guy said "they always change the cam seals when doing a timing belt". I don't want to argue it if it's their policy or whatever, but if it is completely unnecessary then I will say no.

Archived