LegacyGT.com

tire pressure indicator for over inflation?

Does anyone know if the tire pressure indicator will go off for over inflation? did a good deal of high way driving, on snows and the tire indicator came on. after the car sat for a few hours and did the same drive, later at night, the gauge did not come back on. the light blinked than stayed on. based on the book it states to have someone look at it, but since it did not come on again, i was just wondering regarding the tire pressure.

• 5 years later...

Thanks.

These are brand new sensors installed in my winter tires by Firestone. So initially there was no indicator on the dashboard. Next morning at start it blinked and than stayed on. It bothered me so I got one of those external sensors on eBay and keep my eyes on the pressure, how ever the light blinks and stays on after start up and short drive.

Makes me wonder why this did not happen when I left Firestone, but since next morning it behaves like that. All tires are above 30PSI. This is on my Subaru Crostrek XV 2013. Any tips?

Ed

you guys brought up a good discussion on over-inflating snow tires. I got my 1st set of the Michelin X-Ice XI3 3 winters ago and they always seem "bulgy" and have the look of low air pressure when at 22/33 PSI, so I have been running them about 36-38PSI. They "look" better and I haven't noticed any difference in tread wear, especially in the center of the tires.

What have you guys been seeing and doing?

you guys brought up a good discussion on over-inflating snow tires. I got my 1st set of the Michelin X-Ice XI3 3 winters ago and they always seem "bulgy" and have the look of low air pressure when at 22/33 PSI, so I have been running them about 36-38PSI. They "look" better and I haven't noticed any difference in tread wear, especially in the center of the tires.

What have you guys been seeing and doing?

I had a contract job that was a long distance, so I bought a Chevy Prizm and went through a little phase of making changes to my car and hypermiling. :hide: I got bored of the driving techniques real quick (3 weeks).

One thing that hypermiling forum recommended right off the bat is to raise your pressure to the maximum sidewall pressure some even advocated for 60psi even if the tires weren't rated for that. I went for the max sidewall pressure which in my case was 51psi. The care rode like shit, but the tire wear didn't noticeable wear out the middle of the tire, if anything the front tires seemed to wear more evenly. I put about 80k miles which most of it was done with elevated tire pressures and I wore out one of set of tires. The car had relatively thin tire (185)mm, so maybe that played a roll. My ex-wife had Toyotay Highland with 225mm width SUV tires and I raised those to 44psi (side wall) and I didn't notice a difference with the tire wear either. The big side wall barely made a difference in the ride quality. I run the factory tire 33/32 pressure in my Legacy, so I can't give you any further experiences.

Archived