LegacyGT.com

CEL P0691 - Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Low

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
FYI, there is a TSB on the relay issue. Don't delay too much, because you may need an ECM replacement eventually if the relay is bad for too long.

link to the TSB?

My friend and I just did a remote start on my car and it threw this code for some reason.

I will check the fuses first before I replace the relay as well.

@Juss 22b....where did you get the relay and how much? Autozone has it as a special order and something like $20.

Signal low means open circuit because the other side of the relay is conected to 12v so yes check fuses then swap out the relay or switch the relay with the other fan relay amd see if the code changes

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 2 weeks later...

All the fuses were good I checked...

I replaced "Main Fan 2" relay, which is the smaller rectangular relay because Autozone only had that one in stock....so I took a chance. After I replaced it, the CEL light disappeared as soon as I started the car without even disconnecting battery.

Next day I start the car the CEL light is back!!! I will probably end up special ordering "Main Fan 1" relay which is the bigger square relay. Hope that works.

Which relay did everyone in this thread replace??? And if you replaced a fuse which one?

• 4 years later...

I'm pulling this code now after blowing a couple fuses by stupidly installing non-ck socketed LED turn signals in my (apparently) CK style sockets. I replaced the blown fuses (2 inside and 1 in the main panel under the hood) but the CEL is still there. The fans seem to be working, and the car doesn't overheat - could it just take a few drive cycles to clear, or will I need to replace the bigger relays? Any way to test before buying? I plan on pulling every fuse in each box and checking them as well, but I just started with the systems I knew weren't working (turn signals, parking lights, combo lights).

No need to harangue me for not testing my sockets first, I've already kicked myself many many times for it. :-P

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Disconnecting battery will reset the code . Or a few short trips should clear it .

If you disconnect the battery you should do an idle relearn some cars tend to stall or run rough after a reset.

Nevermind, just started my car and the CEL was gone, so it looks like it just needed a couple cycles to clear.

Disconnecting battery will reset the code . Or a few short trips should clear it .

If you disconnect the battery you should do an idle relearn some cars tend to stall or run rough after a reset.

Yeah, I hate resetting the ECU/disconnecting the battery for just this reason - my Legacy and my ex-wife's forester both had to do the idle relearn. Neither of my WRXs did, though... :p Annoying, so I try to avoid it, heh.

With open source software you can fix those issues . Or you can drill a 1/16" hole in your throttle plate !

• 3 years later...

Just got this CEL p0691, checked fuses and look good. Then I saw, the belt slipped. I don't have tools with me to fix, so I'll have to get a tow. Hopefully it won't be too bad...

Started, climate control didn't work, and then I shut my car off, and I noticed a new squeal under the hood and CEL.8f3a3b3c439a7195b785379a4e58a135.jpgc614af0f76473300437a339ca316be85.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived