LegacyGT.com

Sunroof cracking w/ tint?

Ok, so I was thinking about tinting the sunroof with 5% tint. But I heard that it could cause the glass to crack. I already have a cracked windshield; the last thing I want to do is crack the sunroof.

From what I gather, the dark tint absorbs alot of heat, and when there is a change in temperature, the glass can crack. It gets waay hot here in the california valley (110+ days), and I'm sure that the sunroof glass gets a little warm with dark tint. Now I won't wash the car with cold water while its sitting out in the sun, or anything silly like that. But something colder than 100 degrees could hit the sunroof.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm sure there are legacys with tinted sunroofs, has anyone had problems? I wanted to get experiences and opinions before I make a decision on this.

Thanks.

Ok, so I was thinking about tinting the sunroof with 5% tint. But I heard that it could cause the glass to crack. I already have a cracked windshield; the last thing I want to do is crack the sunroof.

From what I gather, the dark tint absorbs alot of heat, and when there is a change in temperature, the glass can crack. It gets waay hot here in the california valley (110+ days), and I'm sure that the sunroof glass gets a little warm with dark tint. Now I won't wash the car with cold water while its sitting out in the sun, or anything silly like that. But something colder than 100 degrees could hit the sunroof.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm sure there are legacys with tinted sunroofs, has anyone had problems? I wanted to get experiences and opinions before I make a decision on this.

Thanks.

Well, usually tinted windows reflec hieat and keep it out of the car, atleast mine do.

I love my car ... basically.

The inside of my car gets real hot if i leave the sunroof shade open but the window closed. It has the factory tint but i dont think its enough. Never heard of glass cracking due to it being tinted thou.

FYI. I wanted to see what else I could find on this, so I googled it. This is what I found:

"The reason is this. If you tint the window, when the sun is beaming down on the sunroof the glass expands and as it cools it contracts. If you tint the sunroof when it tries to expand it can't because is it be constricted by the tint. The glass was not designed to take this type of stress, therefore it cracks."

"Yep, there are two camps on this one. Many installers (and owners) have no problem with it. Others won't even think about it. After two installers declined for the same reason you mentioned, I decided there must be something to it and took a pass on the moonroof tint. After all, these were high-end tint shops turning down cash..."

"I have my sunroof tinted and it is just amazing how hot the glass gets on sunny days. I tried to clean some bird dropping on the roof and whenever I sprayed on the cleaner, it just evaporated. I can see how much stress the glass is going to have from the extra heat absorbed by the tint over time."

This info came from other car forums. It makes sense. Anyone living in a sunny/hot climate with aftermarket tint on the sunroof hear something similar? I called my tintshop, and they didn't care. They'll tint anything.

No, I have never heard of someones sunroof cracking, also the glass is dark enough where you shouldnt haft to tint the sunroof glass. How bout not tinting the sunroof and keeping the sunroof cover closed so just in case it might just get to hot an breaks, it wont get all over your interior. An your a lucky bastard owning a specB, J/K.

I just had my OBXT tinted, and the tint shop (a big chain here in sunny, hot Tucson, Ariz.) offered to tint the large Outback sunroof as part of the package. When I asked about concerns of cracking (which I'd also heard about), he said he's never heard of that and not experienced it here. So I figure it's okay, because it doesn't get much sunnier and hotter---nor wider temperature swings from night to day---than down in the desert.

I didn't do it because I personally like an untinted sunroof for seeing the stars at night, but I would have felt comfortable tinting the glass.

then why don't tinted windows crack -- would not same rules apply?

My understanding is that the sunroof is designed differently in order to prevent heavy(er) objects from going thru the glass and into the car. The layer facing the cabin is under greater compression/strain that the top layer, and the glass is bowed outward. Also, some sunroofs have metal frames hold them, versus the other glasses which have a rubber sealent that gives the glass expanding room. Of course this could be complete bull; I don't have any supporting data.

I just had my OBXT tinted, and the tint shop (a big chain here in sunny, hot Tucson, Ariz.) offered to tint the large Outback sunroof as part of the package. When I asked about concerns of cracking (which I'd also heard about), he said he's never heard of that and not experienced it here. So I figure it's okay, because it doesn't get much sunnier and hotter---nor wider temperature swings from night to day---than down in the desert.

I didn't do it because I personally like an untinted sunroof for seeing the stars at night, but I would have felt comfortable tinting the glass.

Its good to hear that people in the desert don't have any problems with tinted sunroof. If anyone would have problems, it would be people in that climate.

Its interesting that this cracking sunroof is like a urban legend; some heard of it, some haven't, and noone has seen it in person. Weird...

I have never heard of auto glass tint being an issue, but having the windows in your house done is (supposedly) another matter. The film is on the inside pane of glass (most modern house windows are 2 or 3 panes of glass with inert gas trapped between them) and because the dark tint absorbs more heat, it causes the two panes of glass to expand at different rates. This can lead to separation of the seal between the panes of glass and the inert gas being displaced by regular air which carries moisture with it. The moisture condenses on the inside surface of the glass (in the space) and your windows are foggy. How often this happens, I do not know.
It is still ugly.

:cool:

Thanks.

I had mine done over a year ago and haven't had any problems with my tinted windows and SR. I live in the the Northeast and have summer traveled to the south with 100 + degree temps in the shade. I too was told of concerns on this forum but did it anyways. The shop that did the work said that in all the years they've done tinting have never had an issue with tinting SR's.

I was in vegas last year when the temp reached a record 121 one day..my car was sitting out in the sun and i have 5% tint doen over the factory tint... it didnt crack... where did ya hear that from anyways???

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

I was in vegas last year when the temp reached a record 121 one day..my car was sitting out in the sun and i have 5% tint doen over the factory tint... it didnt crack... where did ya hear that from anyways???

121?!? Damn, that's hot!

No problems? That's good to hear. I've been convinced to try it out myself.

I've heard of sunroof cracking through tinters and other car lovers. My friends had heard of the same thing also. But out of everyone I've talked to, noone has actually seen it in person. :iam:

Its another one of those risk vs. reward changes that we do to our cars. Its really good that nobody here has had this problem (as far as I know).

121?!? Damn, that's hot!

No problems? That's good to hear. I've been convinced to try it out myself.

I've heard of sunroof cracking through tinters and other car lovers. My friends had heard of the same thing also. But out of everyone I've talked to, noone has actually seen it in person. :iam:

Its another one of those risk vs. reward changes that we do to our cars. Its really good that nobody here has had this problem (as far as I know).

I love it cause i can always have that (here comes dumb name for something thats prob an easy name) sunshade sliding thingy back it makes the cab feel much more open and i still dont have the sun shining harshly on me unless i open the roof. Wow i am pretty sure that the last sentence made a little sense right? :icon_lol:

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Archived