LegacyGT.com

Upgraded audio done!

cookin

I finallyl got the stereo upgrade done. I installed a inline converter to a crossover to a 4channel and a class d amp. The 4channel amp supplies the components up front and the 2ways in the rear. The class d supplies a JL audio 12 in a factory box. It sounds better than I ever thought it could. It is just as good or not better than an aftermarket deck setup. The setup sounds better in the legacy than it ever did in the wrx. It took me and 2 of my buddies all day to strip the interior of the car out, run all the wire, and install the speakers. Got to hand it to Subaru, this car hands down is built with more quality than the wrx. All the floor boards and fire wall is lined with sound dampening foam. I was planning on doing a narrative write up with pics but it would have taken more time that wasnt available.

Brandon

I think the prices are as follows:

(I had most of these items from previous cars)

inline converter from Navone Engineering - $45

JL audion ws6 12" sub in JL box - $200ish

Alpine class d amp - $200ish?

Boss Audio 3way crossover - $50

Orion 4004 amp $300.

Infinity 6.5 component speaker. Traded with a friend

Infinity 6.5 coaxial speakers. $90

And about 150 in quality speaker wire.

By any means, I am not a stereo wiring wizard, but I am able to figure things out. One of my helpers knows quite a bit about stereos and he helped wire everything up. I dont recommend doing it without someone who knows what they are doing, as there is a significant amount of wire that needs to be run. If you have more than a day to work it could be done as long as you carefully mark wires to tell them apart later. The hard part is tearing apart the car and running the wire through the stock door grommets. We had all the seats, center, deck, all door panels, and glove box out of the car. The main power wire had to be brought in on the passenger side of the car. I'm glad its finally over!! Ill take some final pics tonight and try to get them up. I still have to tidy the wires up and screw the 4channel amp down, but I think it looks alright.

Yeah i would be interested to hear about the airbag thing...

Either way, sounds good. I am surprised you took everything out like that. I realize that it can be slightly easier with nothing in the way, but all that work could have certainly been done without taking out any of the seats for sure.

I'm kind of iffy on the whole passenger seat thing. People say it's got a sensor between the seat and the floor? That's certainly the hard way to accomplish their goal. Car makers have been using seat-mounted occupancy sensors for years. It's much easier to put it in the lower cushion than to calibrate something at the mounts.

I dont see what the problem is. All the airbag, power seat, and seat heater equipment plugs in under the seat. Its as easy as unplug and plug back in. The only problem I had was the fact that I forgot to connect (1) plug and it rendered the passanger airbag inoperable. The airbag plugs can be tricky, but if they weren't ment to be unplugged, they would be hard wired in. Gutting the interior is the easiest way to get a clean install! The seats needed to be taken out in my opinion, because of the noise dampening material under the carpet. That stuff makes the carpeting very ridgid and hard to move. It was nothing like the wrx.

The stock speakers are crap 6.5" paper cone. They do look a little better than the upgraded wrx speakers though. I will take some more pics of the finished product in the next couple days.

Brandon

The speakers I purchased for the rear where the Infinity 6.5 coaxial, but they where the "shallow" type and they fit perfect without any fitment issues. My front component speaker too deep and I need to put some spacers in, because the window will not completely go down. I know crutchfield has the shallow type speakers.

Brandon

Infinity speakers sound really good. I've got them in my jeep (std equip on a LTD). Recently I put them in my daughters car. She loves them. Question, I currently have the stock audio system in my LGT. Do you think upgrading just the speakers will make a big difference? Is there enough power in the stock unit to drive higher performance speakers? If so, can you tell me what the sizes are for the stock speakers?

Tonydb,

The speaker size for the front and rear are 6.5" I dont think the stock deck has enough power to run the speakers, but they would be an improvement over the stock speakers. I suggest the shallow depth speakers. You might as well take advantage of them if they are made.

The standard infinity reference compenents in my front doors are just a fraction deeper than the stock. I personally didnt think there was going to be a problem until they where all installed. I'll just have to put a couple washers between the screws or make a spacer. The rear shallow type fit very well depth wise. The install kit that crutchfield supplied works but none of the holes line up, so it took some modifications to get to work.

Brandon

Archived