LegacyGT.com

Front end vibration at hwy speeds

Lately on my 08 3.0R I've been experiencing a steering wheel vibration at highway speeds (55-75 MPH). It feels like a wheel balance issues. I rotated the tires (front to back) and the vibration is still there. It's not consistent at all. It comes and goes. I can induce it by moving the steering wheel slightly to the left or make it go away by moving the wheel slightly to the right. The ball joints and everything in the steering "feels" tight when I tug/push/pry on it.

Any thoughts on things I can look at and ways I can test it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does one test for a bad bushing or bearing? I have the subaru gold plus warranty, but don't want to pay $129 for a diagnostic and not have them find something. I want to be able to point to the problem and say "there you go, that's broke, fix it"

Yea, I guessing one of the wheel bearings. On the highway, see if you can find a flyover like they have for exits to other highway's. Turn off the radio and all noise. see if the noise changes as you change lanes, try to get a feel for which side the noise is coming from. May be have someone else listen too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My issue x2 was a front brake caliper that was seizing occasionally so it was intermittent for me.

The easy check is after it happens put your hand near wheel and if you feel excessive heat the likely case is a dragging brake caliper.

We have have to replace both on a 05 LGT wagon.

I have a similar problem. I notice the vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds, and even a little bit in my seat. I know for a fact my tires are balanced and the alignment is good because I just recently had them done.

Raj, what led you to the brake caliper issue? This is might first thought because I also have an issue while slowing down from high speeds. If I jump the brakes at high speed, sometimes the car wants to jerk one direction. Could this be a sign that one of the calipers is going bad??

Outer tie rod ends would be first place I would look. If one of them is even slightly bad, it can cause the wheel to flutter slightly, especially during braking. The inner TR ends can do it too.

If the HBA is making noise going in a straight line, generally when you turn the wheel slightly, the noise will go away because the balls ride slightly up on the side of the race. The center of the outer race is usually what goes bad, right where the balls reside most of the time going straight (he said balls....heheheh) and when you turn, you side load them and push them slightly off center onto clean chrome and the noise goes away.

When the bearings go bad (unless they explode and come apart) the chrome plating on the ball bearings begins to break down first and when they become "rough", then they eat away at the chrome on the race, and that's when it really begins to howl.

Also make sure you don't have a bent wheel or separated cords in the tire.

Raj, what led you to the brake caliper issue? This is might first thought because I also have an issue while slowing down from high speeds. If I jump the brakes at high speed, sometimes the car wants to jerk one direction. Could this be a sign that one of the calipers is going bad??

Mechanic noticed it when in for an change trying to spin the tire and it would not turn. But also my wife(her 2005 LGT 5mt wagon) figured out if she braked hard it would go away. I have to admit is the mechanically savvy one in family.

I'm taking mine in tomorrow to have this issue looked at. Happens at highway speed when the steering wheel is slightly turned left and the body is leaning right, such as a quick change to the right lane when you turn the wheel back left to straighten out. The vibration is pretty bad in the steering wheel. First time it happened, I thought a wheel was going to fall off.

I spoke with the dealer and they found the alignment slightly off. I don't have the details on it yet. My front brakes are also nearing the end of their useful life. They couldn't find any bad tie rods during the alignment check and adjustment. I get it back tomorrow so I should know pretty quickly if the issue is resolved. I'm leaning wheel bearing or brake rotor if it continues.

• 2 weeks later...
I replaced the front brakes(pads and rotors) last weekend and the vibration is better, but not gone. The wheel bearings make no noise, so how can I prove they are bad? I'm not going to throw parts at it unless I know they are bad.

• 1 month later...
Bolt through the passenger front LCA bushing had come loose and started to back out. The driver's side was also not fully tight. Scary. Is this a common problem?

Were the lower control arms ever worked on? Someone forgot to use a torque wrench?

I replaced the front brakes(pads and rotors) last weekend and the vibration is better, but not gone. The wheel bearings make no noise, so how can I prove they are bad? I'm not going to throw parts at it unless I know they are bad.

Did you ever get your problem solved?

• 5 months later...

I've got this problem, though I had my LCA bushings replaced last fall.

This car is about as good as a german car. I like it but it's a never ending list of stupid crap that needs fixing. Subaru cannot build a good car anymore.

Whats the condition of the lower control arm bushings?

Mine were ripped. I had an issue with the wheel shaking when I braked to slow down as I got off the freeway. The pedal didnt pulsate so it wasnt bad rotors. I replaced the lower comtrol arm bushings on both sides and the problem disappeared. That may be your problem if theyve never been replaced.

Archived