LegacyGT.com

Thinking about buying a 4th Gen LGT, what should I get first?

I found a 2005 Legacy GT wagon for sale in town, and I'm hoping to have the funds to purchase the car in the next week or so. If I do get this wagon, what should be my first mod? When I looked at the car on Sunday it had a Momo shift knob and roof rack bars. Just wondering what everyone would do in my situation. I want to get an accessport and then replace the stock exhaust with a catless up pipe, and 3" catless turbo back exhaust.

Learn how much oil it uses and learn to keep it topped off.

Are you good with a Lap Top ? If yes, then get the cables and save some money.

Go catless up pipe.

Automatic or 5mt ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Learn how much oil it uses and learn to keep it topped off.

Are you good with a Lap Top ? If yes, then get the cables and save some money.

Go catless up pipe.

Automatic or 5mt ?

This.

And suspension...definitely suspension :cool:

Check out the Group Buy forum. m sprank has some good deals going on.

Then get Hawk brake pads. My wagon has Hawk Ceramic's, very happy with them for a DD.

I get them from Mike at AZPinstalls.com they help out a lot for free on here. Good way to pay them back for the help.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Before pulling the trigger on stage 2 I'd recommend ensuring the health and maintenance on the car. Compression/leak down test, check things like intercooler end tanks, turbo shaft play, banjo filters, and service the trans/diffs (I like Subaru Extra-S with a little LW Shockproof per my Subaru independent mechanic). Make sure brakes and tires are in good shape as well. Then move on to modding. Last thing you want to do is be chasing issues during tuning and no point in suspension mods until you have great tires.

Before pulling the trigger on stage 2 I'd recommend ensuring the health and maintenance on the car. Compression/leak down test, check things like intercooler end tanks, turbo shaft play, banjo filters, and service the trans/diffs (I like Subaru Extra-S with a little LW Shockproof per my Subaru independent mechanic). Make sure brakes and tires are in good shape as well. Then move on to modding. Last thing you want to do is be chasing issues during tuning and no point in suspension mods until you have great tires.

Good point, with winter coming.

Most useful advice on this page. The car only has 63k miles, and since it's not a WRX or STi I do not suspect any foul play. That doesn't mean a good tuneup wouldn't hurt. When I go to the dealership I'll ask if they have a history report, and if not I'll see if I can get one. Tires are brand new, along with spark plugs, belts, valve cover gasket & oil. I'm going in on Friday to look/test drive the car. Putting on my game face

First mod, tools. Second mod, oil. Third mod, oil. Fourth mod, endlinks. Forget speed go for suspension.

this made me rofl! I'm guessing that 4th gens leak oil? Must be a Subaru thing! lol

And for everyone else's questions it is a 5 speed automatic and yes I would like to achieve stage 2 down the road. I would like to get a jdm stereo console so I can use an aftermarket radio, and keep my subwoofer. Hoping that in a few weeks I can call her mine! Keep looking back for updates!

Good tires and typical maintenance can go a long ways for sure and sounds like that stuff is covered for the most part.

I still recommend checking the banjo filters (can clog and starve the turbo of oil), and check the turbo for shaft play by pulling the DP. I had to get a warranty turbo replacement for bearing noise at 77K. I caught it really early and didn't have any other damage, and the oil feed lines were replaced and the system was flushed a few times during replacement (did all this before stage 2).

Also check the LCA main bushings - mine were cracked to hell at 62K when I bought my car which led me down the suspension mod list. I went with the Whiteline option and love them.

...this made me rofl! I'm guessing that 4th gens leak oil? Must be a Subaru thing! lol...

It's not that they leak oil, it's more that the oil.... simply disappears.

Good luck with your likely purchase!

Today I test drove the wagon, and I can definitely tell a power difference from my BD. I was talking to the owner of the shop, and he said that there was only one previous owner who had the car serviced at the local Subaru dealership, and at a shop that specifically works on turboed subies The gentleman who runs that shop is the son of the owner of a popular Subaru garage called "194 Imports", where we bought my old legacy. That gave me some relief on the cars history, and the only issues with the car are some dents and dings on the roof. The shop owner told me the previous owner had a large object on the roof rack (kayak or bike) and it fell on the car's roof. I'm not to worried about the dents because I work at a body shop, and will fix them over time. If everything goes through I will hopefully have the car by the end of next week, in time for my road trip to a Subaru meet in Northern PA. Wish me luck!

Archived