LegacyGT.com

Front differentials, jerking around corners under 10mph

Hi I have had several mechanics and i have received several different diagnoses and I don't want to spend $200 to find out i have a $4000 fix.

Problem: When I go around a sharp corner under 10mph, i get a jerking noise/feel and it seems like its coming from the front end. Its not clicking.

Several ideas were: transfer clutch is going bad, whole differential needs be replaced, cv joints (which made me laugh a little).

Anywho, because you can't diagnose the problem without opening it up, its expensive even to get someone to look at it.

One guy suggested I put a fuse in AWD spot, which I cannot find. Then after further investigation my findings suggest this is a bad idea because it end up wearing on the tranny.

To be honest I have been driving this car like this for over a year now, I take wide turns and try not to get it to jerk. I wanted to fix it, thinking the upper price was $1200, now that I have heard $4000 I am like wtf should I do?

Try posting your problem on legacy central bbs as well. There is only so much help that you can get on this site for first gens: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/index.php

The guys on that site know everything about first gens. :)

I'm not saying that you can't get good info on this site, but if you have a first gen joining that forum is essential.

It's an Auto, I'm guessing.

The FWD fuse slot is under your hood near

the passenger side strut tower. If the torque

binding goes away when you put the fuse in

that's one thing.

Do you drive with different size tires? Or have

a big tread depth difference between front/rear?

Try finding someone that has all the same tread

depth on tires for a Legacy and throw them on

the car and see if it settles down a little. The

bummer is that they may be right about your front

diff. The better thing is that you can change it by

yourself and save $3700 as you should be able to

get a front diff for probably less than $300 would

be my guess. Either way, look up Duty C Solenoid

and it should give you a start on what to look for.

Let us know some more info about the car.

hate to say it, but if its auto, your center diff is toast. i had an outback recently with same problem.

That sounds like your issue. Had the same thing with my '96 Impreza (4eat). Drove me nuts so I had a whole new (74K) tranny installed.

Archived