LegacyGT.com

paint chips/new hood

so guys, I've had my legacy gt for a few weeks now and I've been loving it...except for the paint job. From what I've gathered on here, Subaru decided not to put the best paint on our cars. Since moving to WV Ive picked up a ton of rock chips from the road, and I am anticipating more. My question is, how much would it cost to repaint the hood back to OBP down the road? For now, Im thinking of getting some touch up paint, just not sure where from.

Also, I know that RRev sports sells a carbon fiber hood for 05-07. Would having one of these be sturdy enough to stop rock chips? Way I think is if the prices are similar, I might just plunk down for a carbon fiber hood. Thanks for the input!

Subaru paint is terrible when it comes to stone chips. If you are going to touch it up go with Dr. Colorchip, works much better than the factory touch up paint. I think some people go with something like a 3M clear bra to help reduce chips.

I've seen some pretty tragic looking cracks in CF body panels from rock impacts but I doubt it is as much a problem with higher quality CF panels - 99% of my CF experience is Honda hoods...

Yeah, I know... At least I admitted it.

i just tried to debadge my trunk..started with the chrome subaru..i used a soft cottonball and nail polish remover solution( a technique i used on several GM vehicles) to remove the goo started to rain so i had to quit, and next day looked at trunk and its all scratched my rubbing with cotton ball.....so i held up the emblem to put back on and it covered up the worst of it, now i have some super glue i cant get off the trunk...i put a few small scratches shammy drying and now because i coulnt leave well enough have a scratched and super glue trunk..i hate to see the car in a couple years...

You could try rubbing compound on it. Put some on a rag to get rid of the small scratches. Then use some polish on it. On the super glue you can try Oops on it to see if that will break it up.

ive googled lots of how tos and no luck..with either glue or scratches...my routes gonna be to have trunk painted...but it at the bottom of my list right now...just makes me mad..used same method on my 03 trailblazer...06 impala..and 98 lumina..for the price premium subies run, id expect a little more than a good suspension and awd...something all us legacy owners gotta live with:rolleyes:

ive googled lots of how tos and no luck..with either glue or scratches...my routes gonna be to have trunk painted...but it at the bottom of my list right now...just makes me mad..used same method on my 03 trailblazer...06 impala..and 98 lumina..for the price premium subies run, id expect a little more than a good suspension and awd...something all us legacy owners gotta live with:rolleyes:

Can you take a picture of the scratches? If you run your nail along them does it catch? Also for the glue you might have luck with 3M adhesive remove.

Archived