LegacyGT.com

Why does my A/C always turn?

So I looked in the cheap/free/DIY mods and I did not see that anyone posted this.

It bothers me that everytime I turn on my heat the A/C is on and I have to turn it off manually. Is this a pre-programed thing with the dual climate control in my 08 spec.B? Is there any way to have the heat and or air to turn on without the A/C? Am I doing something wrong, I push auto when I turn on my heat-a/c system...?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

It is totally typical for any auto climate control system - most of them have an "econ" button, which turns the AC off.

My GF's Audi A4 has an econ button but I didnt notice one in my LGT. I guess I will have to just turn it off manually everytime I put on the heat - a/c :confused::mad:

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

It should remember that you selected ac off, but you have to tell it every time after you hit "auto"

Oh ok I get it next time I wont hit the "auto" button and try turning it on a diff way.

Thank you

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Mine does it too....when I scroll through mode as I pass Face/Feet it turns the AC on....thought it was wierd as well...

I like the face/feet mode but looks like I am gonna switch that mode so the a/c doesnt come on everytime. Maybe it has something to do with the windshield and defrosting it.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Not sure about the '08s, but on mine the AC comes on only when one of the two 'Defrost' vent settings are selected. Running the AC system naturally removes a little moisture from the air, and the dry air helps defrost your windshield faster. So that's the reasoning behind that. The AC should not come on (automatically) with any of the other vent settings, but the car is assuming that if you select the windshield vent options that you are looking to remove condensation from the windshield, and thus turns the AC on to better accomplish that. It's OK to have the temperature set to a high temp AND have the AC system on! (I have difficulty getting the GF to understand that in her car, whcih always gets fogged up badly.) I love the defroster on the LGT: If my windows are fogged I just hit the Front Defrost button, crank both temp knobs to 85, and in just a minute or two the windshield is clear. After which I turn the temp and fan speed back down to a comfortable level, and I may or may not turn off the AC, depending on whether there is a lot of moisture in the air (rainy/snowy conditions).

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Not sure about the '08s, but on mine the AC comes on only when one of the two 'Defrost' vent settings are selected. Running the AC system naturally removes a little moisture from the air, and the dry air helps defrost your windshield faster. So that's the reasoning behind that. The AC should not come on (automatically) with any of the other vent settings, but the car is assuming that if you select the windshield vent options that you are looking to remove condensation from the windshield, and thus turns the AC on to better accomplish that. It's OK to have the temperature set to a high temp AND have the AC system on! (I have difficulty getting the GF to understand that in her car, whcih always gets fogged up badly.) I love the defroster on the LGT: If my windows are fogged I just hit the Front Defrost button, crank both temp knobs to 85, and in just a minute or two the windshield is clear. After which I turn the temp and fan speed back down to a comfortable level, and I may or may not turn off the AC, depending on whether there is a lot of moisture in the air (rainy/snowy conditions).

Very well said thank you for the info I def understand what you are saying. My GF is the same way:lol:

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

For once Rao, I can't tell if you are being facetious. I've always thought that the worst thing is not being able to scroll through my pre-set stations via the wheel radio controls. What a bizarre oversight :)

My A/C is almost always on, which is annoying, but I will say that the actual ability of the car to climate control is quite good and it doesn't bog MUCH when the a/c is on. (compared to my 2006 Civic SI especially)

At least they used dials to select temperatures, rather than an up or down switch that moves in .5 degree increments....

If I understand correctly the A/C indicator being on is a -permissive- setting (the A/C will come on when needed to meet the temperature demand). It does not mean the A/C -is- on, only that it -can- come on. It's well covered here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55984&postcount=5

Yes, but if I toggle it off, it should stay off until I turn it back on or set the vent mode to defrost. Bad HVAC programming/logic IMO.

If I understand correctly the A/C indicator being on is a -permissive- setting (the A/C will come on when needed to meet the temperature demand). It does not mean the A/C -is- on, only that it -can- come on. It's well covered here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55984&postcount=5

If the AC light is on then the AC is operating (if you live in a cold climate, the AC light will go off by itself in sub 20 temps). That is standard operating procedure for all auto climate controls.

I was confused about this too until I read that thread ^^^

If you want it to maintain at the temperature you select (auto mode), then the A/C light will be on, indicating that the A/C will kick on either to cool the air down, or remove excess moisture in the air (hence why it comes on when you turn the defroster on).

If you turn the A/C off, you should find that the AUTO light turns off. The car is now working just as a non auto climate zone car would. The kind that has a red-fading-to blue knob. The lowest number is cold (blue)-the highest number is hot (red).

Thats how I understand it works. Correct me if I am wrong.

For once Rao, I can't tell if you are being facetious. I've always thought that the worst thing is not being able to scroll through my pre-set stations via the wheel radio controls. What a bizarre oversight :)

Is that true? What do the up & down arrows on the wheel do then? I thought they were there to go through the pre-set stations. I'm currently looking for an 09 Limited instead of an 08 because I wanted steering wheel audio controls.

The A/C light does not necessarily mean the A/C compressor is on. Mine cycles on and off, while the A/C light stays lit. (Can hear when idling for awhile)

A/C + heat is not necessarily a bad thing. When its cold enough, the A/C will NOT come on no matter what. When it's in the 30-40's, it will come on to remove moisture.

A/C + heat is not necessarily a bad thing. When its cold enough, the A/C will NOT come on no matter what. When it's in the 30-40's, it will come on to remove moisture.
That's correct. A/C provides two functions: cooling and de-humidifying. When de-humidifying is called for, the ACC will just mix some heated air with the cooled, drier air to bring up the temperature to the desired setting. If the outside temperature is cool enough, de-humidification isn't needed since the air is already quite dry.

Archived