LegacyGT.com

Steering gear leak... need this translated from "mechanic-ese"

Hi Guy's - I need a translation please.

I am having some work done to my '06 legacy (125k miles) and he just sent me a text message (which I asked him to do while I'm at work)

"steering gear leak at housing. it appears to be leaking from above boot and lines. Will access lines later and make sure nuts are tight on lines"

I've read thru some of the posts here and its seems other guys with similar mileage have had the rack replaced (with a huge variance in pricing). I've seen other places that sell a Repair kit

Gates Power Steering Repair Kit part # 348805 for approx $60

vs

a Rebuilt Rack for approx $200.

I plan to keep the car for 2-3 more years.

At what point can I do the repair kit and at what point do I have to write a larger check for the rebuilt rack?

This is over my head. Any help appreciated

Thank you, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt (for now)as it was a text message. He'll give me a better explaination via email and maybe I can give this thread a little more information to go on too. I would just hate (with any repair) to do some kind of repair kit for it to last 1 year where swapping out the rack w/ a rebuilt one would be 3 year (has 3yr 36k mile warranty). ...lets see what he says a little later on. Until then I'm driving around in a crappy little rental car.

-Its been one day and I miss my subaru already.

the rebuild kit is fine, if the installer knows how to rebuild a steering rack. the fact that hes calling a rack and pinion a "steering gear" doesnt make me think hes knows his stuff to well. i would first get a second opinion, then take into account how much extra hes going to charge you for labor to remove, rebuild and reinstall the rack. chances are, unless his labor rate is dirt cheap (another reason to go elsewhere...) it will be more cost effective to buy the whole rack knowing its a good part and pay half the labor then it will be to pay three or four hours labor plus the 60 dollar rebuild kit. for 200 dollars, thats a pretty good price for a part that can cost upwards of 500 depending on the car.

keep in mind both options will require an alignment as well.

I'm sure steering gear is short for rack and pinion.

I just had my trusted mechanic replace the rack. I also plan to keep the car for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Steering rack, Steering gear...same thing. I would buy a replacement "rack" and call it good. My trusted mechanic, who is a Subaru tech, said that they (dealership) have never successfully rebuilt a rack w/o it leaking. They no longer even attempt to rebuild them now.

You might also consider that if you spend $60 for the re-build kit + labor to rebuild it, you will likely be in the ballpark of a rebuilt and tested/warrantied "rack" anyway.

• 3 years later...

Archived