LegacyGT.com

power washing the engine?

my .02

at work (Mercedes-Benz dealership) whenever i get a car with a crazy engine oil leak or some kind of leak and have to clean it after the repair... i take some engine degreaser, spray everything i possibly see (with the engine cover off), and let her rip with a garden hose (leave the engine running, and don't spray into the intake)... all co-workers and i have done this hundreds of times and never had a problem... i don't know how our subarus are... but never any problems at work..

This might help out a bit. I used another LGT member's car for the pictures since my engine wasn't ever really dirty enough to make a good example. :) The advice is good for any type of car though. Cover your alternator and avoid spraying electrical connections and fuse boxes. Don't use high pressure. It is just asking for trouble. There isn't anything under there that can't be cleaned better by hand anyway. High pressure will do nothing that low pressure and degreaser can't do.

Do not just spray down everything with degreaser. Ever see an alternator catch on fire? I have. Spray degreaser on the painted surfaces and do the rest with brushes and towels. Detailing an engine isn't so difficult that it is worth damaging things to save a couple minutes on the job. Do it right. Next to your paint I really can't think of anything that would be more expensive to replace than your engine. Don't think that just because it is a new car that it it will survive abuse. No warranty will protect you if you screw stuff up with high pressure washers and spraying degreaser in areas that it doesn't belong.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I love the smell of GUNK ENGINE BRIGHT burning off my engine...(the real stuff, not the pussy citrus version).

In any mechanical forum there are multiple debates about power washing. Basically machines are meant to work and need lubrication. Oil and water do not mix, as they say. With extreme mechanical and chemical washing you can get a pretty engine but an unhappy one.

The key is moderation; I powerwash our dirtbikes after every ride and it saves hours of time.

If you do wash the engine, I'd stay away from the power washer. Also, make damn sure the engine is COMPLETELY dry afterwards. I'd probably go on at least a 1/2 hour drive after washing the engine. On my last car, I washed the engine using the degreaser at a local car wash and used very low power to rinse. Drove it for 5 min or so after it was warmed to dry it. Then had to take it to the shop where I found out the plugs were fouled after the car threw a CEL and ran like shit.

Personally, I wouldn't wash my engine at all.

And above all, lest we forget, don't ever ever ever get soap on the intercooler. You could melt the thing and then where would you be?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/meltedintercooler.jpg

This thread just reminded me about something we had discussed awhile back and I thought I'd bring it up.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That just got me worried a little. What happens with the soap in hood scoop after rinsing it out? Doesn't it go down to intercooler?

Well, that depends. If you get the STi Water Channels installed on the scoop then it will divert most of the water around the intercooler and down the back of the engine bay. I just reversed my fins and that directs the water away without any expensive hardware additions to the hood. It takes awhile since you have to do them one at a time, but that is nothing in comparison to melting the intercooler.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That just got me worried a little. What happens with the soap in hood scoop after rinsing it out? Doesn't it go down to intercooler?

everytime it is asked (i wanna know too) people just talk abunch of bs about some guy who got water on his intercooler and melted it.

stage 2

You can wash the engine, thats no problem..Use comment sense thou..I did on a LGT, but when I washed I make sure the engine isnt HOT at all..I let the engine run for like 5+ min, so is luke warm. I dont use powerwash, I use 32oz spray bottle mixed with ONR and it work like a charm.

Good luck.

OT:

Hey OCD, you sold your LGT no? And bought a Honda Pilot?(got this from DC).

OT:

Hey OCD, you sold your LGT no? And bought a Honda Pilot?(got this from DC).

Yup. :) Much happier with the Pilot actually. It isn't as pretty, but it is more functional for what I need a vehicle for. I'll pick up another Legacy someday, just not right away.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Only time I ever use a pressure washer on the car is on the underbody & wheel wells........

Last and only time I used my little electric pressure washer on my wheel wells it stripped off the undercoating stuff that was sprayed on at the factory.

It is still ugly.

Archived