LegacyGT.com

Nagging cylinder 3 misfire codes

bushman33

Hey everyone. I keep getting a Cylinder 3 misfire CEL(can't remember the code off hand). It doesn't happen all the time, but I'd say its growing in frequency.(about 1 every couple weeks) I have an AP so it helps me monitor things, and the roughness count at idle will go up to 6-7 sometimes. Cylinder 4 looks to be running a little lean according to the old spark plug. Any ideas where to start? I'm no mechanic and I'm trying to learn as I go. Thanks everyone.

-Jason

remove the coil pack and swap it with another cylinder, like cyl 1. see if cyl 1 starts to misfire now. if it does then you need a new coil pack, if not, you've eliminated one possible problem.

#2, fuel, possible clogged injector, injector cleaner in the fuel system may help,

#3 low compression on that cylinder - have a compression test done. #4 valves out of spec (or valve clearance/lash a problem, need heads pulled, compression test will tell you if the cylinder is damaged or the valves are out of spec and not sealing)

so start with the easiest, swap coil packs to eliminate that as a factor. I'd say a compression test is the most important here, this will tell if you need a new short block or not :D

Damn. I'm hoping its not shortblock time yet. Soo many other things to take care of, but might have to get a compression/leakdown test done. I don't feel like i've lost power though, and I'm only getting the misfire/roughness at cold/semi-cold idle. I'll check the coil pack. This just frustrates me having to spend all my fun money on maintenance/repairs. I understand it comes with the territory when you reach the 100k+ range.

You might do a search for "oil control valves" - this could be an issue. Cold start idle issues also might mean exhaust valve problems - i.e. - out of spec or burnt. I agree with the previous statements regarding checking the injectors or coilpacks first as they are relatively easy to check. I am, however, sensitive to exhaust valve problems because mine were out of spec at 104,000 miles and needed to be ground and re-seated.

Archived