LegacyGT.com

Subaru Motorcycle

Garandman

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/November/november12-18/nov1807subarusportsbike/?&R=EPI-97081

Subaru Sportsbike

By Ben Purvis

New bikes

18 November 2007 15:00

This new single-cylinder sportsbike features a Subaru-badged engine and could be on sale next year at a bargain price.

The engine for the HS500sa comes directly from Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. It’s a 499cc, water-cooled, DOHC single, originally developed to be used in quad bikes and used by Polaris. The motor is notable for its lightweight design – it tips the scales at 43kg – and its ability to meet American and European emissions restrictions, a vital part of Sasaki’s plan as he intends to sell the machine worldwide.

With 50bhp at 8000rpm, the motor is on a par with engines from more familiar manufacturers, and its 33lbft of torque, peaking at 7000rpm, should be enough to give the lightweight HS500sa decent acceleration.

The bike’s chassis is built in China to keep costs down. Like most of the latest Japanese sportsbikes, it’s made from cast aluminium – although the hefty-looking frame rails look over-engineered for a 50bhp single. The swingarm is also cast aluminum, and heavily braced – giving the look of a much more powerful bike.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/204578/images/hs500.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

As the owner of a 47hp Honda Hawk GT which I do think is kinda sporty... but can a 50hp bike really be marketed sport bike?

It looks decent, and is probably pretty easy to ride, from the way it looks. and 50hp will get you through traffic, if the bike isn't too heavy. That frame does look like it could easily handle a 800-1000cc V-twin. Maybe FHI will double the engine up, and make it a V-twin out of two singles on a common crank. That would interest me more.

As it is, I still think I like the Daytona 675 much better in the small sport faired bikes group. Or a bonnie, if horsepower isn't a paramount issue. The SV650 is also a very nice bike in the small-ish displacement class.

But I still want a BMW R1200S boxer. I really am fascinated by boxer engines, (I like sporty V-twins, V-fours, and inline Triples as well.) and this 'subaru' motorcycle doesn't have a boxer, and BMW does.

Maybe I would suggest a bike like this to a young beginning rider, but there are far more compelling two-wheeled machines out there. It does look more seriously equipped with normal equipment (decent forks, brakes, spar frame, and wheel width like a 600-750 machine, unlike the smaller pieces on the Kawasaki EX500/Ninja 500 which is a *long*-time beginner bike favorite.)

As a sidebar, actually a couple of new custom-built three-wheeled machines are also coming out that look quite interesting, two wheels forward, and one rear, and some of them even lean in like a moto, but with better steering and braking traction, and won't tip over in a parking space. Interesting ideas, at the least.

As the owner of a 47hp Honda Hawk GT which I do think is kinda sporty... but can a 50hp bike really be marketed sport bike?

Well, there are 50 hp supermotards around that are treated with great respect among even sportbike owners. The positively evil KTM 640 Duke comes to mind.

It looks decent, and is probably pretty easy to ride, from the way it looks. and 50hp will get you through traffic, if the bike isn't too heavy. That frame does look like it could easily handle a 800-1000cc V-twin. Maybe FHI will double the engine up, and make it a V-twin out of two singles on a common crank. That would interest me more.

As it is, I still think I like the Daytona 675 much better in the small sport faired bikes group. Or a bonnie, if horsepower isn't a paramount issue. The SV650 is also a very nice bike in the small-ish displacement class.

But I still want a BMW R1200S boxer. I really am fascinated by boxer engines, (I like sporty V-twins, V-fours, and inline Triples as well.) and this 'subaru' motorcycle doesn't have a boxer, and BMW does.

Maybe I would suggest a bike like this to a young beginning rider, but there are far more compelling two-wheeled machines out there. It does look more seriously equipped with normal equipment (decent forks, brakes, spar frame, and wheel width like a 600-750 machine, unlike the smaller pieces on the Kawasaki EX500/Ninja 500 which is a *long*-time beginner bike favorite.)

As a sidebar, actually a couple of new custom-built three-wheeled machines are also coming out that look quite interesting, two wheels forward, and one rear, and some of them even lean in like a moto, but with better steering and braking traction, and won't tip over in a parking space. Interesting ideas, at the least.

Yes, I believe it is more of the design. Fairings = Sportsbike.

I think a Kawasaki 250cc Ninja is around the same hp as this bike (maybe less) and that is considered a sportsbike by insurance standards.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

the bike is probably a fine bike.

but no way is it as light or flickable as a supermotard.

fairing may equal sportbike to non-bike-riders... but people who know bikes, or who are learning about bikes... a 50hp 500cc thumper may not trip the trigger like some of the new 600-750 bikes.

Kawasaki's new 650, and the SV650 may not have full fairings, but are probably at least a bit more capable bikes than this.

This doesn't look like a bad bike, but as a not-established model, can it be marketed and sold?

that is different than insurance classification, or just the looks of the fairing.

Is it AWD?

LOL then it will be marketable :p Subaru are probably trying to become a more recognised brand and i expect that this is just another way of doing it. I think they would be better off designing a tundra classed truck with awd std and less quirky looks than there latest models (impreza, tribeca). I think that the sportbike industry is just to advanced for anyone to join these days.

As the owner of a 47hp Honda Hawk GT which I do think is kinda sporty...

As a fellow owner of a 1988 Hawk GT:wub:, I am sure you know that power isn't everything! I can easily leave liter bikes behind when I get into the corners.

As a fellow owner of a 1988 Hawk GT :wub:, I am sure you know that power isn't everything! I can easily leave liter bikes behind when I get into the corners.

Exactly why it is still in the garage, I can't bring myself to trade it or sell it. It is just too unique and cool. I wish I had more time to ride it than I do.

I blame the Legacy. It is fun, too. and easier to climb in and drive. It takes time and effort to gear up for the bike.

The only thing about a low-powered bike is that if everything else isn't right, or the bike is heavy, etc... it doesn't leave much margin to tolerate other problems, and still be fun ride. The hawk GT is definitely still a fun ride.

I also really like the daytona 675, but this should be fine for a nice starter sport bike. I hate all the first timers around here riding around on their 90+hp bikes thinking they're badass when all they can do is straight line (much like many car drivers).

If they bring to the US, would be a fine alternative to the kawi 250 and 500 ninja.

Theres a poser at work on an 03 r6 that likes to show off his yamaha leather jacket while me and the other rider laughs at him and wonders if he'd ever keep up in the hills or track. At least he wears a jacket though.

Don't forget that japan and europe has license restrictions.

• 5 months later...
That would be tons of run. I love small bikes for track days. Cheap sporty riding. I havent raced in about 6 years, but I've been thinking about getting back into it with a Hyosung 250 or Kawa250

been a looooooooooong time since Subaru made something on two wheels. here was the last one. called the "Rabbit" in case you wandered where the STI rabbit came from.

http://www.fujirabbit.com/Rabbit/models/S101/fuji1.jpg

Subaru could also use one of their smaller H4s for a bike like Honda's Goldwing. The Goldwing has a 1.8 liter flat 6. Subaru could easily drop in a 1.5, 1.8, or even their 2.0 into a bike and make it an awesome touring bike. ... or better yet, stuff that 3.0 (or even the 3.6) into a bike. Now THAT would be an awesome touring machine - 250 hp would make that thing MOVE!

A car engine is a MUCH bigger animal than a car engine.

A BMW or Honda boxer engine is VERY much more compact than a Subaru or Porsche boxer engine.

But, if they do it, I am game. I would love a 650cc-1000cc boxer-engined sport-bike, if the engine and chassis is in place.

Otherwise, a used R1200S is a real nice bike, with a nearly maintenance free shaft drive, no less.

If only BMW would make the R1200S HP2's DOHC boxer engine more widespread, and put the Hossack-type Duolever front end of that boxer-powered sport-bike... THAT would be fantastic.

Yeah, but a Subaru engine would be quite a bit smaller than the one in the Boss Hoss (Chevy 350). Chrysler even made a prototype with a Viper engine in it. Compared to those, the Subaru engines are tiny! I think it might make a nice project for somebody...

been a looooooooooong time since Subaru made something on two wheels. here was the last one. called the "Rabbit" in case you wandered where the STI rabbit came from.

http://www.fujirabbit.com/Rabbit/models/S101/fuji1.jpg

The Fuji Rabbit! :wub:

Yeah, but a Subaru engine would be quite a bit smaller than the one in the Boss Hoss (Chevy 350). Chrysler even made a prototype with a Viper engine in it. Compared to those, the Subaru engines are tiny! I think it might make a nice project for somebody...

It is smaller than a helicopter jet engine, too. But that has been put in a bike...

Don't think I would want to ride a Boss Hoss, or the Dodge Tomahawk. I wouldn't mind looking at the Tomahawk, but riding it might be a bit too crazy.

car/truck, or even helicopter engines do not a light motorcycle make, and heavy motorcycles are much harder handle if you want to actually want to ride, rather than just sit while travelling.

Someone did turn an Impreza drivetrain into a big quad, though... I forget where I saw that...

Archived