LegacyGT.com

Brembo Brake guys out there! I have a question

nyrm98

I think they are pretty much plug and play...you may need longer caliper bolts to fasten the calipers to the stock mounts?

I also suggest upgrading to SS brake lines while your down there...and making sure your wheels will clear....

You need wheels that'll fit, tires for those wheels, the calipers, 5x100 rotors, and the bolts that hold the caliper to the knuckle (they are NOT the same as the ones you have stock). You'll probably want pads too.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Calipers from an 04-07, rotors only from an 04.

The fronts are easy. The rears become SLIGHTLY more complex.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just run milled bars of soap as brake pads, and you'll be fine.

I have had front Brembos and stock rears for 30K miles. The balance was a little weird until I changed out the rear pads since they were very worn. All is well now and braking distance is noticeably improved!

If the front Brembos make ANY difference in braking distance (and the don't until the stock front brakes have faded), then the balance has to be different since the fluid split front to rear is fixed. If the front Brembos don't reduce the stopping distance (which is the case), then what is the point of the swap?

Bling... and worse fuel economy.

Fluid volume split isn't fixed. Pressure is. I haven't run the numbers for Brembo fronts and OE LGT rears, but bias shouldn't change more than a percent or two, and that can be retained by using a slightly more aggressive (but still street) pad. The difference can be as simple as using an HPS in the front and HP+ in the rear. You'd see similar bias differences by running a "hotter" pad in the stock front calipers than the rears.

To the OP, brakes have very little to do with stopping distance. Keep that in mind before dumping $$$$.

Most people probably don't do Brembo swaps in LGT's because the stock brakes are actually pretty awesome.

Personally, I have no justification for why I'm doing the swap, other than opportunity. A friend of mine owes me a set of calipers, and I need pads and rotors soon anyway. I already have the brackets for the rears even!

Well, it might. It's always a give-and-take.

Big brakes take more time to get heat into them, making them inefficient at cold temperatures without the proper brake pad.

Plus, they add unsprung weight, which hurts all aspects of performance.

The best performing brakes are the smallest ones that will adequately do the job.

The best performing brakes are the smallest ones that will adequately do the job.

Which is why the factory Outback XT brakes are smaller than the LGT's brakes ;)

I think the biggest reason people who aren't racing the car do upgrades (other than the gold bling factor) is to have better feel and control over the brakes.

I had a 2011 Impreza for a week as a loaner. The brake feel was much better than the Outback. In fact I almost crashed the Outback when I got it back because the brakes took a lot more force and travel on the pedal to slow the car down :lol:

I think the biggest reason people who aren't racing the car do upgrades (other than the gold bling factor) is to have better feel and control over the brakes.

^^ Bingo.

I am running front Brembo's with HPS pads and stock rear with HPS pads. There is a huge difference in feel with brembo's, I also feel a much better initial bite when I jump on them. I have not noticed any issues regarding the balance.

I ran my LGT on track with front brembos and stock rears. It was a nice improvement over stock. You won't be let down. Don't worry about the brake bias unless you are a professional race car driver.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 weeks later...

quick question, are the bolts that mount the calipers to the knuckle the same size?

I noticed last night that my bottom bolt was shorter than the top bolt. When I grabbed the bolt & washer that I bought from the dealer, and tried to install it in the bottom hole, it wouldn't go in all the way. It seems that my stock LGT bolt was a better fit than the longer one my dealer gave me. Can anyone else confirm?

The Brembos use different bolts to afix it to the knuckle than your stock caliper brackets.

There are 2 different sets of bolts available for the brembos.

04, 06-11 and 05

The 04 & 06-11 are shorter bolts.

The 05 is for MY05 STi Brembos which have a metal dampener attached (therefore longer bolts are needed.)

-mike

The weird part is the one i got from the dealer (says '10' on the top of the bolt) does fit into the top hole, but not the bottom. The bolt that does go in all the way on the bottom hole says "9". That makes me think something is up with the caliper's bottom thread hole.

I didn't try to chase the threads yet, i didn't have a chase or tap set. I guess i'll get one and see if that helps. thanks.

The shorter one goes in smoothly.

The longer one takes a bit more effort, and then stops leaving a gap in between the bolt head and knuckle equal to the difference in size between the longer bolt and the shorter bolt.

I didn't look at the other side yet, had to stop early and get dinner. I'll compare tonight.

I wonder if the previous owner helicoiled it without telling me?

Archived