LegacyGT.com

Tuning with a brand new turbo?

coldradio1

I've been planning out my future plans with my car, and turbo upgrades is one of the things that I've been waffling over. Been debating either 68hta or the BNR-18G but that is another story all together.

My issue is the tuning following the install. I am devout believer of break-in periods on turbos (especially journal bearing turbos). I think that about 100-200 miles is proper before seeing any big boost numbers. Do you throw in a limp map to get the turbo broken-in before the actual tune is done? I know you can just run WG boost, but that is still a pretty good amount a boost for a new turbo. I would say I would want to limit it to 3 or 4 psi. Also, with the added fueling, how would the car react with that without a proper tune? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Why do you believe a turbo needs to be broken-in?

There isn't much you can do to limit the turbo below wastegate boost except lock the flapper open.

Added fueling? What have you changed in the fueling?

Why do you believe a turbo needs to be broken-in?

There isn't much you can do to limit the turbo below wastegate boost except lock the flapper open.

Added fueling? What have you changed in the fueling?

The bearings mainly. I want everything to be properly oiled. I know that the priming process should do that, but I see it as a part that runs at tens of thousands of rpms. I figure, better safe than sorry.

As for fueling. I will be doing a fuel pump and either 750 or 850 injectors.

If you are going to a tuner, then they should be able to give you a map scaled close enough for the injectors to run safely and they will zero out the wastegate duty cycle tables, which will prevent the turbo from going beyond wastegate boost. You could also have them reduce the rev-limiter or you could just keep your foot out of it until you make it to the tuner. Most tuners are willing to provide a free limp map until they can see you to tune you. Do you have an accessport or are you doing open source? If open source, do you have a cable for logging and flashing?

I'll be going opensource probably. I don't have a cable yet, but it will be in the near future when I get one. Next thing on my list right now is a fmic. I'll get the cable with that and get tuned for that. Then after that, the turbo will come. I've done some more research on the break-in period and I keep getting mixed info on it. I figure that if I prime it correctly and let the car idle for 15-20 mins, it may be fine for tuning. I could always be easy on it after the tune and go from there. I'm sure its better than driving around for 100-200 miles with extremely rich or lean conditions. Any thoughts?

A turbo's bearing is the oil. It rides on a thin layer of oil (non-ball bearing turbos anyway) so there's never any real contact.

There is no break-in period for turbos. I've owned and modded turbo cars for the past 19 years and have never seen one advised by any turbo manufacturer or dealer. The turbo has been balanced and is ready for use as soon as it's primed and installed.

Archived