LegacyGT.com

Cold weather overboost

Sebastian

The weather is getting colder here in Cincinnati. I've noticed by hitting the peak button on my boost gauge I occasionally hit 17.5 psi. The car is stock, running Stage1 MickeyD tune. In warmer weather the car hits about 15.5-16 psi.

During the summer the tune was tested and revised several times with mickeys help. Mainly pulling .35 degrees of timing here and there to avoid knock.

Can the car compensate for the occasional cold weather boost spike like that, or should I be concerned? I haven't had a chance to datalog lately. If I do need datalog, what should I look for other than knock and pulled timing?

If you're not knockin, you're rockin! ;)

Seriously though, that's my noobish uninformed take on it. (Someone else jump in here and say "No, invar, you are wrong." I don't want to steer him the wrong way.) Do some datalogs of some WOT pulls and regular driving if you're concerned and see how it looks.

17.5 is weaksause. Try 19.8

Cold air has a higher density and as such you are likely to overshoot target boost. As long as it's just spikes here and there and not a consistent overboost and, like iNVAR said, you're not knocking, you should be good. Winter is a good time to revisit the tune, should there be anything weird cropping up.

You are fine, unless the car knocks. However Mickeyd has a good reputation and his tunes seem to be solid, so I wouldn't worry. Just for fun, log the car when you are seeing higher boost pressure.

Perhaps a PM or email to Mickeyd is in order?

Archived