LegacyGT.com

Dash noises 1 = chirp, other = ?

So I've got a relatively recent development on the '05 LGT. I've got two new noises from the dash that I can't nail down. These are not rattles. Whatever they are they're mechanical or similar in nature. I searched the forum but maybe my terms were no good because I couldn't really find anything that matched. :(

Noise 1 - This is an intermittent sound that I haven't been able to tie to the AC either. It's an intermittent chirp, that again, hate to coin some a silly animal reference but it literally sounds like a baby bird chirping lol. AC, recirc, no AC, I haven't been able to pin it down to any particular function within the dash itself.

Noise 2 - Happens when you shut the car off. You a noise that sounds like a rodent is trying to scratch it's way out of the dash. It's very odd, and that's about the only way I know to describe it. Sounds like it's coming from right behind the radio/ac unit. It goes on for about 30 seconds or so, then it's done but it does it every time. AC, no AC, doesn't matter.

• Mega Users
I have one that sounds like it coming from my vent gauge cluster. but it ony happens when I'm moving. And the faster the car travels the louder it gets. Definitely coming front the front left of the dash. Any suggestions?
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Sorry for the late response guys. Went down to the coast for a couple of days and I'm just now getting back online. I'm sure you guys are right about #1. I believe that it is in fact the blower. I think that it chirps when it's running then when you shut it off, after it spins down it starts to go quiet, then all I can assume is that it start to freewheel from incoming air from the road and starts to chirp again? Just a guess.

The latter noise, who the heck knows. Something that is probably under vacuum until you shut the car off. Not sure. Meanwhile I'll do some checking on how much of a PITA it is to replace the blower. Unfortunately I now have a howling noise under the hood when the car is cold. Sounds like a pulley or idler that needs to be lubed. After it's warm, no prob. Oh well, atleast it's paid for. lol

Shotokan, thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything on a search but that's definitely it and is basically what I suspected, only I didn't know the technicalities of it. :)

Edited by Kingfisher

I have one that sounds like it coming from my vent gauge cluster. but it ony happens when I'm moving. And the faster the car travels the louder it gets. Definitely coming front the front left of the dash. Any suggestions?

I think this was covered in another thread, but Im not sure. If you remove the drivers side panel cover, there is a plastic clip holding the dash that people have had to do some "mods" to tighten the dash and stop the noise.

It happens on mine sometimes, was worse before I took some stuff off to install boost gauge, now I dont hear it as much

I have stuck a small piece of black foam in between the windshield and the dash in both corners, it seems to have mostly stopped my rattles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...

I actually get both sounds as well in my 05 legacy ltd.

noise 1: I get this when car is sitting still and HVAC is 'off' entirely. I've compared it to a bird chirp as well and sounds like its coming from directly under the top of the dash on the passenger side. I've replaced my blower motor before, not a big deal to do, but definitely not where the noise is coming from (in my case anyway).

noise 2: I only get this when turning the car off... regardless of whether or not I actually started it (i.e. just turning key to ignition without turning the motor over) or not. Everything appears to be working fine, but sounds like a bad hard drive is trying to shut down. A really really bad hard drive... No idea what the noise is, but I'd love to avoid having to fix it. It has nothing to do with the head unit + HVAC controls because I've replaced that whole unit already (for a diff problem) and am getting the same symptoms.

• 7 years later...

bwahahaha. noise number 2... I LOL'd.

If you have the stock head unit, i believe it has a multi disc changer in it? I could be wrong. We had that issue and I think its the radio checking what discs are in the player. We changed out to an aftermarket head unit with the navi kit for a double din screen and haven't heard it since. This was a few years ago. found this thread while looking for something else. Had to add my comment about the OPs accurate description of noise #2 as well.