LegacyGT.com

Subaru's Intake Temp Knock Control Strategy?

05COLEGGT

I have a quick, lol, question for the Subie tuning Gurus out there. I've read articles and understand how the OE ECU dynamically adjusts the ignition timing if knock is detected, what I don't understand is how the ECU adjusts for heat soak of the intercooler. The intake air temp sensor is located in the MAF sensor which in the stock location is located in the air filter box. This is great for measuring ambient air temp, but not good in measuring the actual intake temp in the manifold.

So how does the ECU then compensate for elevated air temps post heat soaked intercooler? Everything I read points to more of reactive type knock strategy when it comes to a heat soaked intercooler, instead of a proactive system which would measure the temp of the compressed air post intercooler and ajust timing based on the actual charge air temp going into the engine.

This is coming up because I was doing some logging yesterday during 90+ ambient temps and was noticing some timing being pulled at various RPMs points. No fine knock learning has happened though.

I have a quick, lol, question for the Subie tuning Gurus out there. I've read articles and understand how the OE ECU dynamically adjusts the ignition timing if knock is detected, what I don't understand is how the ECU adjusts for heat soak of the intercooler. The intake air temp sensor is located in the MAF sensor which in the stock location is located in the air filter box. This is great for measuring ambient air temp, but not good in measuring the actual intake temp in the manifold.

So how does the ECU then compensate for elevated air temps post heat soaked intercooler? Everything I read points to more of reactive type knock strategy when it comes to a heat soaked intercooler, instead of a proactive system which would measure the temp of the compressed air post intercooler and ajust timing based on the actual charge air temp going into the engine.

This is coming up because I was doing some logging yesterday during 90+ ambient temps and was noticing some timing being pulled at various RPMs points. No fine knock learning has happened though.

Everything you've surmised is correct AFAIK. To this day, I don't know why the IAT sensor is placed pre-IC.

The IAT cools off quickly enough once your car gets moving, but the TMIC definitely takes a bit longer to cool off, especially if you've been sitting in traffic for a while. Once the car is up and running at speed for a bit, the IAT sensor works well enough in its current location, but yes, you are correct...

It sucks when the TMIC gets heatsoaked. Not only does it have an impact on your timing but on the needed amount of WGDC as well.

Archived