LegacyGT.com

Who has experience with plasti dip?

I have a 98 legacy that's white, I'm thinking about picking up a rattle can of white plasti dip to do the door moulding/trim that's black. On the lgt I know the door mirrors and molding is all body color. If anyone has any advice on prep or general directions, I'd appreciate it. Does anyone know if white plasti dip would match Subaru white?

That's what's great about PlastiDip. If you don't like it, just pull it off. Just make sure you apply thick(not overspray) so if or when you take off it just all comes off in one or a couple of pulls. No scrubing or rubing off. Check out dipyourcar.com.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I've only dipped wheels and fog surrounds on my 06.

Pretty much, just make sure it is clean. Rubbing alcohol is a bit extreme, I just went to the car wash and sprayed the car down with soap and rinsed it off, then dried it by hand. That should be plenty for cleaning. As other people are saying, do many coats! First coat is a thinner coat, then progressively get thicker as you go, but not so thick it runs!

the predip spray on dipyourcar.com works really well. I did my wheels among other things. Honestly I would buy the trim kit on their website. Plus the bro who runs it has the name of Fonzie, so that counts for something.

I found that if you mask it correctly it's much easier to peel off overspray. Also, the more layers you do the better.

Also get some goo gone for overspray that doesnt peel off correctly. (Goo gone will turn the dip into liquid again so careful where you put goo gone.)

my whole car is dipped... im not really on the plastidip train though, im not a huge fan of it personally

How many cans and coats did u need for ur car? I like the idea of dipin my car just to see what color I want to stick with

I myself did the door moldings,front grille and door handles with black plasti-dip. I put on about three to four coats. The grille believe it or not is holding up the best but the door moldings are peeling up in some places. The door handles are just peeling a little from the bottom edge on the drivers side and slightly on the passenger side because of constant use. All and all i would recomend it for the price of a couple cans and some blue painting tape. Just wipe everything down with denatured alchohol before you do it so it sticks properly.

I was thinking about dipping door handles as well. The rears are peeling on mine as well. What's weird is the driver's door is fine. It's like I had bird dropping that messed up the paint on the rear door handles. Subaru paint is not the greatest. I don't think you would even have to tape. Just PlastiDip and peel off the over spray.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Hey everyone, did it and they turned out great! I highly recommend, updates the look of the car and makes it look just a little more like a GT ;)

Great!! Did you have a chance to take some pix?

• 2 weeks later...

i just washed my car at the 'Brown Bear' just yesterday for the first time since it was sprayed, i was hesitant to use the foaming brush but it seemed to be alright in the end...

the automatic car wash ones are brutal though, i wouldnt trust those things lol

my outback bumper has made it through the auto wash 3 times so far. i go through the one with the scrubbers also, the brushless ones just dont get it very clean. i worry every time i hit the dryers tho, i know that will be the part that kills it

my outback bumper has made it through the auto wash 3 times so far. i go through the one with the scrubbers also, the brushless ones just dont get it very clean. i worry every time i hit the dryers tho, i know that will be the part that kills it

Rims hood scoop bumper center all hold up great every time for me, I'm not even worried about it

Sent from my pocket using Tapatalk

Archived