LegacyGT.com

Blown 5th gear

cjl0792

05 legacty gt. stage 2. traveling about 70-75 put peadal about 3/4 throttle loud pop then no fifth gear. the rest are fine. but no fifth. along with this came a whine. has any one encountered this, and if so rough idea of what parts i will be replacing?

• 2 months later...
This happened on my way home from work on Friday, traveling about 70 mph 3/4 gas move it to 5th gear and then I hear a pop sound and no fifth gear... The gate feels empty, nothing to grab... All the other gears seem to be fine or "there" except the shifter got stuck in second once... A trip to the dealer tomorrow...

This happened on my way home from work on Friday, traveling about 70 mph 3/4 gas move it to 5th gear and then I hear a pop sound and no fifth gear... The gate feels empty, nothing to grab... All the other gears seem to be fine or "there" except the shifter got stuck in second once... A trip to the dealer tomorrow...

Your car and Strizzy's have been in shops more often than on the road. It is either your driving style or you both have had bad bad luck.

_________

Typically if you lose 5th gear is cause your clutch is done. I am not saying that is not possible to break the gear in itself but losing 5th gear especially during acceleration (3/4 throttle as someone said) is the first sign of a pending clutch replacement job. If the 5th gear does not engage, you may also have lost the synchros.

The individual gear and the synchros may be cheap, relatively speaking, BUT to drop the tranny, split it and put it back you are looking at 7-800 dollars just in labor.

At 71k now... It's been in the "shop" once to go stage 2 at about 10k, then brakes at about 60k. I don't call a new windshield, a bunch of tires, and many light bulbs and oil changes every 4 to 5k in the shop alot but others might... Everything else is orgional clutch, turbo, and suspension. I love this car, I'm going to shoot for 150k plus but with the new drive that will be in three years :( I had the same thing happen on my 04 XT but it was covered under warranty... Even if it cost 2k to fix it sure beats a car payment. I'll post an update and pics of the busted parts.

Archived