LegacyGT.com

Anyone buy from here yet?

Clash

That is a capacitor or a "cap!" What it does is store up power, kind of like a battery, and when your music hits deep, and the amp needs to push hard for an instant, it supplies that burst of power taking the strain out of the rest of your electrical system! Once it gives that "juice" to the amp, it then recharges itself, and is ready to supply it again (almost instantaneously). However, you really don't need one! Possibly if your system is significant enough, and it couldn't hurt (unless you don't charge it properly when you first install it, but don't worry about that)... They come in several sizes and shapes, but usually are cylindrical, and they can have digital LCD dispalys on them! They are rated in Farrads, typically 0.5 or 1 Farrad is plenty, but I've seen some ridiculous ones with 10 Farrads!

You DON"T need one!

I have a 400x4 & 500x1 JL amps... and I've never needed one! As for the price... I'd rather not say, because I bought it from a friend who is a JL rep! JL is expensive, and they have a strict NO internet sales policy! Internet purchase = No JL warranty! However, I doubt you'll ever need the warranty... and if you do, PM me!

My store is a JL audio dealer and like everyone else mentioned, we are not allowed to sell online. JL does not only do this but other brands such as Rockford Fosgate. If we sell either of those brands online, we are instantly terminated. I've seen big dealers that purchase like $20,000/month get dropped because they either sold online or to non-authorized JL dealers. They actually hire people to sit home and purchase equiptment from Ebay and other online sites and then they verify where the product comes from. There are several serial codes on the product that can tell the company who they originally sold it to. Some people scratch off the code but there are some that actually require destroying the prodcut to get to, so no one is safe tryin to sell online. As far as warranties, JL or Rockford (most brands for that matter) do not warranty anything purchased online. BTW, retail on both of those items are $549.99 i believe.

JL is expensive....!

That's relative. They make a range of products, from affordable to expensive, and generally speaking, you are working with the top dealers in the country so it will be installed properly. Put a JL product up against anything similarly priced and you can't go wrong.

However, I doubt you'll ever need the warranty... and if you do, PM me!

Be careful here....clearly, the warranty is void if not bought through an authorized dealer. See the forum rules, #7 under 'General Conduct'. ;)

Do the research... you'll find the same answers we're giving you now!

Be careful here....clearly, the warranty is void if not bought through an authorized dealer. See the forum rules, #7 under 'General Conduct'. ;)

;) Very true... I'm not claiming that I can get anything taken care of in terms of warranties... but I can deifinitely try to help if you ever do run into any problems with a JL product... or at the very least, get an item sent out directly to JL to be fixed! But he's (patagonian GT) right... I'm not garuntee'n anything... I'm just saying that I will make my best effort to be a resource for you... if you do have any issues!

But... You won't! :D JL is a very competitive and consistent company! Top notch quality and performance in my opinion... and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would agree with me on that!

But then again... There are some shady internet sites out there... I've never bought any JL stuff over the internet, but I've made some internet purchases I've lived to regret! So, proceed with caution... And it would be in your best interest to buy from an authorized dealer, but sometimes you have to live dangerously...

So, at least you are now aware of the STRICT policys with internet sales! But, you're gonna do what you're gonna do!

Wow! SFGR415... They really pay people to do buy stuff on ebay in order to bust their authorized dealers? That's ruthless... But, I guess that is just protecting their business investments and ensuring their reputation... I'm not a businessman myself... Microbiologist ;)

I was in the business many years back. Bang & Olufsen was a high-end line we carried. They popped up at Costco, for $400 below list. B&O asked us to go and buy one, ship it to them, in order for them to trace the serial number back to the dealer they sold it too. Turns out it was a former dealer in Mexico that unloaded their inventory.....breaking their distribution contract with B&O (still in effect after losing their B&O dealer status).

When you spend the time for R&D and have a top-notch product with limited distribution, you would be foolish NOT to have somebody on staff that tracks this stuff down. It cheapens the brand, undermines the relationships the manufacurer has set up for dealers, and clouds the waters about warranty status.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

-Dan

Wow... That is business I guess... I've never have taken a business class in my life. I think I might just do that some day soon... and it's all thanks to this thread! lol Seriously though, I've been trying to think of som classes to take, just for the hell of it since my work will pay for it, but I've had no inpirations or ideas come to mind. I never really had time to take business classes back when I was in college, and I wish that I did! I think a basic business class is just because I'm so clueless, plus it will get in the frame of mind to get back into taking serious classes!

Anyway, back to topic! Buy JL... right! Thanks for the inspiration... we'll see if I actually follow through with it!

One time the Rockford Fosgate rep was at our store talking to us when a customer walked in with a Rockford stereo/dvd player. He says he bought it online and the sound works but he is not getting picture and he wanted us to send it in for repair. The Rockford rep went nuts and started cussing the guy out for purchasing online. I remember him saying, "I am Rockford Fosgate," or "Thats what you get for being cheap and buying a piece of sh!t that doesn't fuck!n work online." The customer's jaw dropped in shock and the rep told him to get out of the store. My boss was mad at the rep but what could we do.

One time the Rockford Fosgate rep was at our store talking to us when a customer walked in with a Rockford stereo/dvd player. He says he bought it online and the sound works but he is not getting picture and he wanted us to send it in for repair. The Rockford rep went nuts and started cussing the guy out for purchasing online. I remember him saying, "I am Rockford Fosgate," or "Thats what you get for being cheap and buying a piece of sh!t that doesn't fuck!n work online." The customer's jaw dropped in shock and the rep told him to get out of the store. My boss was mad at the rep but what could we do.

That guy would have been out of the job the same day had that been my shop. We would have threatened them to drop their line if it wasn't dealt with promptly. Most companies don't employ their sales reps - they use third party distributors to be the middle-man. Rockford is one of those companies.....a call from my VP to Rockford would have prompted a call from Rockford to that guy's boss at the distributor. I would put money on the fact that I could have gotten him fired while he was still in my store. :D

That guy would have been out of the job the same day had that been my shop. We would have threatened them to drop their line if it wasn't dealt with promptly. Most companies don't employ their sales reps - they use third party distributors to be the middle-man. Rockford is one of those companies.....a call from my VP to Rockford would have prompted a call from Rockford to that guy's boss at the distributor. I would put money on the fact that I could have gotten him fired while he was still in my store. :D

Probably:D , but this guys is the distributor (he is his own boss)

Archived