LegacyGT.com

Putting together a list for stage 2, does this sound about right?

bucko3the7man

• I Donated

So I'm thinking that this will be the year that I go stage 2. I'll be finishing up my suspension mods this year and then after that will want more powahhhh. This is what I've come up with so far, let me know if there's anything missing.

• Catted Downpipe (I'm thinking CNT)
  • EBCS (grimmspeed, but open to suggestions otherwise)
  • forge bpv
  • BP TMIC kit
  • Don't think I will need the 3"-2.5" adapter, I have the q300 catback
  • various gaskets/replacement bolts and things for when they get stripped (DP-Turbo, DP-CBE)
  • Bren Tune

Sound about right? Do I need anything more/less?

You probably don't need the Fuel Pump yet. That's more stage III business. Switch out your UP though. Get rid of that pre-turbo cat! Aside from the tune, exhaust, and IC, everything else is pretty much as you wish

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• I Donated

UP is already an STi OEM catless, and I'm already brentuned for that. I know my friend with an 04 STi did the fuel pump when he went stage 2, but his was also somewhat faulty that's why I put that in there.

Do you think i'll need the forge bpv or the BP TMIC kit?

They are a good investment bc our BPV's leak at higher boost. Same for the IC. At high boost you could blow off the ends. I saved some cash and neatly JB Welded mine. But that's because I'm cheap when I can be.

Plan provisionally! IOW, If you're going to upgrade your fuel pump, do so with stage 3 in mind so that you don't have to upgrade again later if you end up going monster on stage 3, though I suppose the 255 is enough. FWIW I still have my factory FP at 152K and Stage II. It put's out plenty for my tuning needs. Only when I go stage III will I upgrade.

• Moderators

Your list sounds like a solid stage 2. For the BPV, mine has been fine at stage 2 but I now have an aftermarket piece sitting on the shelf in case it goes bad (turboxs, but forge is great from what I've heard). For the BP Kit, it's likely an insurance mod at stage 2--weigh your capacity for risk against your budget and just go one way or the other.

For the fuel pump, if you ever plan on needing an upgraded FP down the road it probably won't do any harm to just replace the stock unit now if it's within your budget. Why the Walbro though? I think the DW65 is a much easier install...

No mention of anything clutch related either--stock unit likely wont last too long past stock power levels.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

OOoo! Forgot the clutch...If you don't replace it now, you will eventually anyway. It will last, just not as long. My exedy stage I lasted about 35K before I went with a comp stage II. Thanks BarMan for suggesting that too

You won't need the fuel pump for stage II. If you decide to do it anyway, go with the Deutchwerks instead as it is silent. I replaced my Walbro (it didn't survive using it with e85) w/ the DW and love that I cannot hear it at all. And, if you go DW65 you won't have to modify your fuel basket to use it.

• I Donated Too

definitely wanna BP the TMIC. The BPV is fine at stg 2 levels up to like 20+lbs of boost if I remember correctly.

Save money on the Grimmspeed EBCS and buy a GM one.

Invidia DP will keep the cat out of the engine bay (unlike CNT) for lower temps

• Moderators

Do you have more info on this? I've thought about going this route, but haven't known of anyone who is actually using the GM piece.

I don't think that's true...only DP that moves the cat to the back of the pipe is Cobb, isn't it? Unless invidia has changed the design...?

Another option is to pick up a cheap catless pipe (invidias are up for sale on nasioc all the time) and have a shop weld in a hi-flow cat towards the back of the pipe where you would want it to be.

I like my CNT catted DP better than the Cobb I had (you will go thru CV boots though).

My GM EBCS has 45K on it and has been flawless.

My forge BPV is great. It is set on full stiff w/ both spacers in place for highest holding capacity (26psi is current tune).

Can't advise on a clutch, though :lol:.

Good luck!

• I Donated Too
Do you have more info on this? I've thought about going this route, but haven't known of anyone who is actually using the GM piece.

I don't think that's true...only DP that moves the cat to the back of the pipe is Cobb, isn't it? Unless invidia has changed the design...?

Another option is to pick up a cheap catless pipe (invidias are up for sale on nasioc all the time) and have a shop weld in a hi-flow cat towards the back of the pipe where you would want it to be.

Yup. Numerous guys have used the GM piece. My buddy Josh (ChefRacer) uses one with no probs. Hit him up via pm.

Sorry, I forgot to mention "catless" in my DP suggestion. Nice catch

• I Donated
Plan provisionally! IOW, If you're going to upgrade your fuel pump, do so with stage 3 in mind so that you don't have to upgrade again later if you end up going monster on stage 3, though I suppose the 255 is enough. FWIW I still have my factory FP at 152K and Stage II. It put's out plenty for my tuning needs. Only when I go stage III will I upgrade.

I don't see myself going stage 3, so pump is out then.

Your list sounds like a solid stage 2. For the BPV, mine has been fine at stage 2 but I now have an aftermarket piece sitting on the shelf in case it goes bad (turboxs, but forge is great from what I've heard). For the BP Kit, it's likely an insurance mod at stage 2--weigh your capacity for risk against your budget and just go one way or the other.

For the fuel pump, if you ever plan on needing an upgraded FP down the road it probably won't do any harm to just replace the stock unit now if it's within your budget. Why the Walbro though? I think the DW65 is a much easier install...

No mention of anything clutch related either--stock unit likely wont last too long past stock power levels.

Perhaps I'll ask NRW or Bren to see what they think about the BPV. I'll also ask about the BP kit, but insurance is always good. Depending on how much jb weld it takes, I could probably just do that.

Clutch is on my radar eventually, stocker (or whatever PO put in) is doing fine at the moment.

definitely wanna BP the TMIC. The BPV is fine at stg 2 levels up to like 20+lbs of boost if I remember correctly.

GM... what is?

I say CNT because I looked at the reviews here and all 12 said it was amazing. I'd like to save $$ where I can so that I can spend it where I need to not cheap out.

I like my CNT catted DP better than the Cobb I had (you will go thru CV boots though).

My GM EBCS has 45K on it and has been flawless.

My forge BPV is great. It is set on full stiff w/ both spacers in place for highest holding capacity (26psi is current tune).

Can't advise on a clutch, though :lol:.

Good luck!

Thanks! I've already done one CV boot, wasn't really a problem and I wouldn't terribly mind having to do it again.

• I Donated
Yup. Numerous guys have used the GM piece. My buddy Josh (ChefRacer) uses one with no probs. Hit him up via pm.

Sorry, I forgot to mention "catless" in my DP suggestion. Nice catch

Looking around, it looks like buying catless and welding in a high flow cat with the CNT downpipes at least is about the same amount of money.

Just saw this..

CNT can be hit or miss. I wanted the cat out of the engine bay and a nicer looking piece so I went Cobb, only other option I'm aware of that puts the cat out of the engine bay is the Turboxs.

A dw65c helps and is easy to install. Is it necessary at this level no. I have seen a few oem ones that were on their way out.

BPV, I recommend it at stage 2. As I've seen low mileage 08+ WRX leak (same as ours) at stage1 levels. Will you feel it while driving? Maybe depends how bad. If you check CT08's build thread you can see where his is bleeding off boost.

The grimmspeed EBCS works great and helps shape the boost curve. Again not needed but a nice add on.

• Moderators
Cat out of the engine bay does sound good. Any issues with buying a used catted downpipe that anyone can think of? Any particular mileage I should use as a cutoff?

Visually inspect the cat--if it looks like it's in good shape I think you should be fine.

Cat out of the engine bay does sound good. Any issues with buying a used catted downpipe that anyone can think of? Any particular mileage I should use as a cutoff?

I'm going stage2 with my DD shortly with a catted CNT (bought here, lightly used. 2 years ago CNT used to be ERZ, great reviews and many very knowledgeable members use and recommend them ) saved enough money on it to get it ceramic coated to 1800dg, why get used to fumes if you don't need to, go catted. I will also BP my FMIC (thx BarManBean) as soon as I have the cash. GL I understand your concerns!! lol

Archived