LegacyGT.com

Power mods & longevity--too many miles to start fiddling?

I've got a 2007 LGT wagon with 114,xxx miles on it, no power modifications other than I've been running a Cobb Stage I map on it for six or seven years.

I'm thinking of giving it the uppipe/downpipe/CBE treatment and then just using the Cobb Stage II map, but I'm curious to get opinions on whether there's a certain point at which it no longer makes sense to start tinkering with things. Would I be looking at a greater risk of reliability issues because I'm getting a late start with these types of modifications than I would be if I had made these changes earlier in my car's life? In other words, would I be looking at an increased risk of costly repairs down the road that I wouldn't be looking at eventually anyway?

The car is my daily driver, and I need it to last at least a few more years (though I like it enough that I truly intend to keep it forever, even if it might not be my DD forever...) so I need to err on the side of caution, but at the same time, I'd like to give it a bit of a refresh.

Any other pointers, advice, input, recommendations, etc. about this (and related issues) would be greatly appreciated--I'm not as automotively inclined as most of you guys...

I have a '06 Spec B with 170k miles. I put my Cobb downpipe and Grimmspeed uppipe on a few years ago along with a AP stage 2 tune and I've had no abnormal wear or issues. Stock clutch even lasted over 100k before it started to slip (I have an exedy stage 1 and their flywheel). I never did a CBE since I drive my kids around and don't want to deal with the noise.

Assuming you've kept up on the maintenance and keep good fresh fluids in it, you should be fine. That said, rings, bearing and turbo's all have a finite life and will eventually wear out and fail but so far so good for me.

Best refresh you can give it is a new shortblock.

That said, I personally don't recommend going Stage 2 past 100k miles -- You're significantly shortening the lifespan of the motor, and hastening your pace toward #ynansb. So, again, the ol' car mods addage: Cheap, Fast, Reliable: Pick Two.

The car is my daily driver, and I need it to last at least a few more years (though I like it enough that I truly intend to keep it forever, even if it might not be my DD forever...) so I need to err on the side of caution, but at the same time, I'd like to give it a bit of a refresh.

Any other pointers, advice, input, recommendations, etc. about this (and related issues) would be greatly appreciated--I'm not as automotively inclined as most of you guys...

If DD, don't mess with it. Lots of stories on here of ppl with only a LGT doing mods and having to buy a rustbucket to get to work while they rebuild their "DD" LGT. Also stories of ppl who don't abuse them of going >200k before needing a new motor. YMMV.

I blew my motor at 101k (rod thru the case) and then blew the HG at 129k....because racekor, tho.

Archived