LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha - How bad is the burn-in? I have found the screen saver to be working really well on my unit. But then again it is dependent on how you drive and how often you boost. I'm wondering if people with PLX gauges experience the same burn-in affect. VBG1 has to drive the oleds pretty hard to get them readable in the sunlight of the vent location.
VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• I Donated

If I switch to the oil pressure graph (and sometimes on boost profiles), I can see "75 psi" as a shadow in the white area. Not that I keep the oil pressure number readout up all the time or anything... :lol:

It's not something that is super bothersome to me at this point, but maybe someone else cares.

Also, for 1.05, is there any way to filter the boost transient spikes? It seems (and someone else on the forum has said this as well, and compared to another gauge) that the readout is accurate when you're boosting, but the peak that it shows after the boost event is 1-2 psi higher than the readout was at any given time.

Also, for 1.05, is there any way to filter the boost transient spikes? It seems (and someone else on the forum has said this as well, and compared to another gauge) that the readout is accurate when you're boosting, but the peak that it shows after the boost event is 1-2 psi higher than the readout was at any given time.

Yes - good point. Chances are some of the other instruments reading boost (ECU, other external boost gauges) are filtering and then sampling peak from the filtered results. Some like to see true transients some would rather not, I think I will make it an option in the next version.

Wonder also if the transient spikes are coming from tapping at the recirc valve. The AccessPort would be reading from the MAP sensor.

When is 1.05 coming? I was about to drop an order, but if it's on the verge I might wait a bit to get the latest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • I Donated

I am also in for an upgrade to 1.05 when it comes along. I love 1.04, and it looks like 1.05 is going to fix most of the quibbles I have with the current version. I'm also happy to support a homebrew vendor who does the quality of work that lossol does.

BTW, lossol, as you work on 1.05 -- maybe add some kind of air deflector into the kit so that the AC doesn't hit the display PCB as hard as it does now? I've had buttons malfunction on me a couple times when I had the AC cranked up this summer, and they work fine after a little while with the AC down or off, but it's kind of annoying when it happens, and I'm guessing a deflector will fix the problem.

Wonder also if the transient spikes are coming from tapping at the recirc valve. The AccessPort would be reading from the MAP sensor.

I don't know the answer to this...yet. However more filtering will be added as an option in Ver 1.05.

When is 1.05 coming?

It is in the works now. I got the proto board in, I have a few things to work out. The major advantage of 1.05 and up will be the ability to upgrade software versions 'in the field'. I am probably a few weeks away from getting the production order arranged. Some beta units could be sold at that time, production run usually takes an additional month or so.

• 3 weeks later...
BTW, lossol, as you work on 1.05 -- maybe add some kind of air deflector into the kit so that the AC doesn't hit the display PCB as hard as it does now? I've had buttons malfunction on me a couple times when I had the AC cranked up this summer, and they work fine after a little while with the AC down or off, but it's kind of annoying when it happens, and I'm guessing a deflector will fix the problem.

Yes - this has happened to me too. Only a few times as well throughout the summer, seems to always be the top button, is this true for you as well? Top Button? An air deflector probably would work ,but if I can, I'm trying to fix this issues in software because I wont have to add any cost to the unit. I think it's a glitch in the capacitive touch sensor calibration routine. It's few and far between occurrences and clears within 30 secs but I agree, annoying.

Any news?

Version 1.05 hardware protoboard was in and is now back out for a re-spin. some hardware issues. The-re spins will be in next week!

Hardware changes include moving the (beeper/buzzer) to behind the gauge so it's more audible, it used to reside in the sending unit. This will free up 1 I/O to the sending unit, also I have expanded cable width from 8 lines to 10. This will allow for the new software upgrade I/0 and a data bus (spi), in addition to the existing analog lines (for boost/aux in). In the future I may offer a CAN sending unit and I want them to be compatible with a standard VBG1 display unit.

I may have a few beta units (non-production units) up for sale in a few weeks. Yay!

• I Donated
Yes - this has happened to me too. Only a few times as well throughout the summer, seems to always be the top button, is this true for you as well? Top Button? An air deflector probably would work ,but if I can, I'm trying to fix this issues in software because I wont have to add any cost to the unit. I think it's a glitch in the capacitive touch sensor calibration routine. It's few and far between occurrences and clears within 30 secs but I agree, annoying.

Yeah, top button for me too. It lasts more like 1-2 minutes for me, but as you say, the problem does not occur often, it's just annoying when it does.

I'm willing to beta test the new version if you need somebody. I won't be back in contact with my car until 9/26 though
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

How do we go about upgrading once the new version comes out?? i have the very first one still

When I get the new version out and going I will setup an upgrade link on the website. Basically if you trade in old hardware, you will be eligible for a discount. All sw upgrades after 1.5 will be done with a cable and a laptop if all goes to plan.

I'm willing to beta test the new version if you need somebody. I won't be back in contact with my car until 9/26 though

I will put you on the list to contact when it's ready. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I said a few weeks... Yikes how time flies :spin: any-who, I got the new pcb in last week, populated that board tonight, tomorrow I will drop the software on to it. *fingers crossed* it will take, then I will need to modify a few things in the code.

I will try to provide some more frequent updates until 1.05 gets out.

Got the 1.05 hardware up and running. Looks good so far. I have to test a few more things out:

I moved the beeper to the display unit - have to get that working.

I haven't yet tested the serial boot loader - a must for software upgrades.

I haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe this has been answered, but are you considering adding additional sensor support? Would you consider making/selling another board for the center console vent to take additional sensors and display outputs?