LegacyGT.com

GB: Gauging Interest for Antenna Connections

mvigneau

Ok.

Here is the deal. I have been receiving quite a few e-mails and PMs from people lately since I have started making the antenna connections. I don't have anymore and the ones that I am waiting parts for have already been claimed.

So the deal is that since there seems to be a lot of interest for these parts, I was going to order the parts from Hirose for a large buy. There are a couple of caveats.

1.) This is a huge investment of about $5000.

2.) The price is going to have to go up to $40 each which includes shipping of the completed connections via Priority Mail.

3.) I need a guaranteed 130 people before I will order the parts.

4.) People need to put down at least a $10 deposit that is ONLY refundable if I decide to not make the connections.

This guarantees that I won't lose too much of my shirt and be stuck with all of the parts if people decide to bail out.

5.) The parts on a 6-8 week backorder which means it will be almost 2 months before I receive the parts and at least a month or so to actually make the parts.

So if you are interested, add your name to the bottom of this list. If I receive the minimum number needed, then I will put up instructions on how to put down a deposit.

1.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I missed the original info. Can you state exactly what this connector does? Does it allow an FM transmitter to tap into the antenna line?

Thanks,

-Nick

Sorry...I guess I assumed and we all know what happens when we assume. Anyways. I am making some more tonight and I will take pictures of them. I hope to finish the last of the sample order that I received as shown in the For Sale section. But yes, it is the same one that c_hunter used but both sides. His only plugs from the car's antenna to the FM Modulator. Mine is going to be that one and also one that goes from the FM Modulator to Radio/Receiver antenna input.

"In answer to the question if it allows a FM Transmitter to connect to tap into the antenna line" - Yes but not a Wireless Transmitter, only an FM Modulator.

I don't know ift he aerial connection is different on the USDM car compared to ROW cars but I would venture to say that it is the same.

So right now I have the following on the list:

1.) eelan

2.) jp928

Only 128 or so to go.

I have one of the antenna adapters that Mike made and here is some feedback:

I received the LGT antenna adapters that mvigneau shipped me. The finished product looked professional and worked great! I used the antenna adapters to connect my Delphi XM FM Direct adapter. It disables my exterior FM antenna when the XM is in use. End result is a lot cleaner sound with no interferance.

Thanks Mike!

Just an FYI, I am working with mvigneau to see if we can get the required parts at a discount from another possible source. This is no guarantee, but it might make things cheaper for everyone if it does indeed work out.

I will keep everyone updated as I get more information.

FYI,

I was checking online for more information on available FM adapter cables from Metra and noticed the model for '99 and up Volvo's. I tried looking at the photo's at several retailers (Circuit City, Crutchfield, Tweeters). The connectors look frustratingly similar to the Suby's Hirose connector, but the gender might be reversed. I thought I'd check at Circuit City tomorrow to see if they are compatible, but since there is such a great need for these adapter cables I thought someone may already have ruled out these Metra cables.

Another path I've gone down was to visit Hirose's web site and cross reference their catalog (mvigneau many thanks for providing the part numbers) for the terminals and connectors. I noticed they had a link to request sample parts, so I was re-directed to a web-site needasample.com. I registered and then submitted a request that was forwarded to a distributor near me. I haven't been contacted yet so maybe its a dead end. Did anyone else have success requesting samples? Wouldn't it be great if a bunch of us could request samples to build up the needed parts supply.

If both of my attempts above don't pan out then I'm very interested to purchase cables also.

Needasample.com is where I received my initial quantity. It took a month to receive the parts, but it was very easy. I only wish I had ordered more than qty:10.

If people want to receive samples of like 20+ items and ship them out to me, I will make the cables for people at the $30 price. This may be a better idea and then I wouldn't have to order 3000 parts as required for a Minimum Order Quantity from Hirose.

As to the Volvo connector, it is mentioned somewhere else that this is not the same connector. I haven't actually tried/seen it, but that is what others have said.

Good news sort of,

I just got back from Circuit City. I picked up the Volvo FM adapter cables (40VL20 and 40VL10). The connector is made by Hirose but it's a GT5 series not GT13 like in the Legacy. The good news is that C.C.'s database shows that Metra is planning a cables for our Legacy. The part numbers will be 40SB10 and 40SB20. The salesguy called Metra to confirm, but they haven't gone into production just yet. I picked up the Volvo cables anyhow to check if the terminals are close enough to allow me to pull off the adapter cable connectors and plug the bare terminals to the vehicle/radio harness, but I will need to figure a way to make sure the bare terminals won't pull loose. I'm way too impatient to wait for Metra to ship the new cables.

Archived