LegacyGT.com

95 Legacy gas gauge problem ? ? ?

Vmax540

Hello I have a 95 Legacy Sdn. that the gas gauge only goes to the 3/4 mark on fill up and then within 150 miles goes to empty, altough there is still plenty of gas left in tank any ideas where to start looking ? I bought a new 1982 Hatchback and haven't owned a Subaru until last fall when I bought the used 95 Legacy which we fell in love with this winter and last week we bought a 04 Legacy 35th ! Thanks for any help Chuck Schettler 814 226-1595 7-3 eastern

• 2 weeks later...
I don't now about a 95, but my 93 AWD (only) has two fuel senders and when I fill mine it shows full, but after 185 miles it shows nearly empty, though I have 6 gals left. The FWD versions have but one fuel sender. I opened the access panels in back and disconnected each of the senders to determine the culprit.

• 1 month later...
The sensors go bad after time. You can attempt to clean them, but its best just to get new sensors from the dealer, you do have to take them out of the tank and put the new ones in, and this can be kinda messy. Make sure to take off the gas cap so the pressure of the tank is released.

Just did this in my wagon. $53 and 15 minutes. There's a connector and two screws that attach the sender to the fuel pump assembly. On the wagon the hatch is under the carpet, but I think you may have to remove the back seat in the sedan. Just make sure your nosy neighbor with the cigarette hanging out of his face stays back. Steve

No removal of the back seat is needed. There are 2 humps in the trunk near the back seat. You are gona need to unscrew the cover that is an oval shape, then unscrew the top screws, and then you might have to loosen the lines to get the assembly out. You should be able to get it from there. And dont have the seat backs down, make sure they are up or your car will smell like gas for a while.

Archived