LegacyGT.com

Feeler...thinking about selling my 06 and not sure what it's worth / best way to sell

Let me preface this by saying I have never sold a car before... The last two I had I just gave to my siblings when I got something new.

Just had a baby and my wife wants more space. We are looking at replacing it with a Toyota Highlander. I was thinking of tossing it up on Craigslist for $6k or so and hoping for close to that, but wanted to get an idea what these are actually selling for before I do. Also...I'm not sure what I need to do to protect myself. Draft up a bill of sale that says it is being sold as-is with no written or implied warranty? Only accept cash or a bank check?

Here are some details on the car:

2006 Legacy GT Limited

Black on black, heated leather, climate control, etc.

100% stock

150k miles

Turbo replaced by dealer at 90k miles

Timing belt/WP replaced by dealer at 100k miles

Clutch and transmission case replaced by dealer at ~115k miles

In the last 15k miles or so, I've had both o2 sensors, MAF and center diff bearings replaced.

We bought this car in 2011 with 90k miles on it. My wife has used it as a commuter since we bought it. It has not been beat on in the time we have owned it (it was in good shape when we got it but turbo was bad so who knows how the PO treated it).

Has some minor dings and scratches (mainly on bumpers) from life in Boston with on street parking, but is overall in good shape. Interior is clean.

Let me preface this by saying I have never sold a car before... The last two I had I just gave to my siblings when I got something new.

Just had a baby and my wife wants more space. We are looking at replacing it with a Toyota Highlander. I was thinking of tossing it up on Craigslist for $6k or so and hoping for close to that, but wanted to get an idea what these are actually selling for before I do. Also...I'm not sure what I need to do to protect myself. Draft up a bill of sale that says it is being sold as-is with no written or implied warranty? Only accept cash or a bank check?

Here are some details on the car:

2006 Legacy GT Limited

Black on black, heated leather, climate control, etc.

100% stock

150k miles

Turbo replaced by dealer at 90k miles

Timing belt/WP replaced by dealer at 100k miles

Clutch and transmission case replaced by dealer at ~115k miles

In the last 15k miles or so, I've had both o2 sensors, MAF and center diff bearings replaced.

We bought this car in 2011 with 90k miles on it. My wife has used it as a commuter since we bought it. It has not been beat on in the time we have owned it (it was in good shape when we got it but turbo was bad so who knows how the PO treated it).

Has some minor dings and scratches (mainly on bumpers) from life in Boston with on street parking, but is overall in good shape. Interior is clean.

Make a FS ad in the Cars For Sale section here. But, keep in mind, it's got 150k on it. You can tell yourself (and us, if you like) that it's "not been beat on" and has new this and that, but, the fact to the matter is, it's been on the stock tune, and been through at least two turbos during that 150k, which means you're right to get rid of it before it becomes a very expensive grenade, but, any buyer has no recourse against you, as all used cars are sold as-is.

$6k is a fair price. I'd go with that.

Definitely write up a bill of sale and state it is being sold "as-is". Given the age, mileage, and the fact you're a private party seller should be all that's necessary but explicitly stating as much is a good idea.

As for payment...take cash. Meet at the bank if you have to. I'd also recommend avoiding any certified funds (money order, cashiers checks, etc). Why? Because they could be stolen. Cash works best. Do not, I repeat, do NOT finance the car for anyone. Especially friends and family (you may not even wish to sell to them at all). If they can't obtain the funds to pay you in full it's unlikely they'll be able to do so over time. You're selling a car, you are not a bank.

Archived