LegacyGT.com

The End of The Subaru Chase Mastercard

SLegacy99

Just got the notice that my Subaru MasterCard will be discontinued at the end of this month. I guess that the rumors were true. The letter indicated that cardholders will get a new Visa card from Chase and a certificate for any accumulated points.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone heard about the rewards program being continues with another bankcard? This did happen in the past although the continuation of a program would never be publicized by the bank leaving the relationship. I will call SOA Monday to see what they say. Sure will miss that funny money for purchase of parts or a vehicle and for service I'd rather not do.

No need to wait for Monday. I called the SOA Customer Service line and they say no points will be earned after the end of September and there are no plans to work with another bank to restart the program at this time. SOA says they have lots of feedback and comments regarding continuation of this benefit will be passed along for consideration. Your Subiebucks coupons will remain valid until the expiration date printed on the face.

I think I'll drop the card next month. I can do better than 1% cash back.

That is a shame. I already have a Freedom Visa card they are issuing as a replacement. I only use it for purchases in the 5% cash back category; aside from that I don't see the benefit of it.

How do you get notice about what's in the 5% category and how often does it change? 5% isn't bad, but if it's obscure nonsense that no one would buy it's useless.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped using my Subaru card when they jacked up the APR from ~8% to ~13% for no apparent reason. Never missed or had a late payment.

Now I use my Capital One card for small purchases like gas & groceries. 1.5% cash back isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Definitely bummed out and will miss the deal. I used it for large expenses and work travel ... get reimbursed the same month, pay off the card ... and get Subie Bucks to boot!!! What a sweet reward!!!

I stopped using my Subaru card when they jacked up the APR from ~8% to ~13% for no apparent reason. Never missed or had a late payment.

Now I use my Capital One card for small purchases like gas & groceries. 1.5% cash back isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

SAMS Club is 5% for gas plus $500 bonus over the year using the card at SAMS and Walmart for buying products. So if you shop at these store I. Would recommend using their Master Card.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

yeap, same here. We have 2 cards in fact and it was nice to have extra grand a year for parts/service. Sure will be missed.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

We used to use the Subaru card for the first 15k of spending then switch to the Chase Freedom for the rest of the year. Rewards are average at best there.

Looking at the JetBlue card at this point. $49/year, but It may be worth it. Have to crunch some numbers.

We used to use the Subaru card for the first 15k of spending then switch to the Chase Freedom for the rest of the year. Rewards are average at best there.

Looking at the JetBlue card at this point. $49/year, but It may be worth it. Have to crunch some numbers.

Wasn't your SO in data field? Ask her to build you some models :)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

The service writer at one of the dealerships told me that few people use the Subaru Dollars coupons and that they were a hassle to process. If that is the opinion of most dealerships, there won't be any motivation to restart the program with another bank.

I don't use Subaru dealerships for service unless I have Subie Dollars to apply, because I know of two area shops that do good work on Subarus for less money. When my remaining $1,100 of Subaru coupons are used up, the dealerships won't see much of me anymore.

That was a nice rewards program and I will miss it. :(

The service writer at one of the dealerships told me that few people use the Subaru Dollars coupons and that they were a hassle to process. If that is the opinion of most dealerships, there won't be any motivation to restart the program with another bank.

I don't use Subaru dealerships for service unless I have Subie Dollars to apply, because I know of two area shops that do good work on Subarus for less money. When my remaining $1,100 of Subaru coupons are used up, the dealerships won't see much of me anymore.

That was a nice rewards program and I will miss it. :(

I know two dealers pretty well, and they were fine with them. Where they become a hassle, is when people buy $45 in service/parts, and want the other $55 in some kind of credit. Their system doesn't allow for this, and it ends up being all long hand crap, via notes on the receipts, etc. Most of the time, they wont allow a 'balance' on subie bucks anyways.

I used by subie bucks for scheduled maintenance things for my wife's 05 leggie (before we sold it), scheduled maintenance on my spec.b, and some odds and end repairs here and there. I would also use them for parts if I was going to do the repair myself.

OH, and I had the dealer replace my oil return line from the turbo. Cost me 1k subie bucks (book cost/time), but I didn't have to lift a finger or pay a penny out of pocket. We would also use them for tires. I'd have the dealer order whatever I wanted, and pay in subie bucks.

Either way, if the dealer consensus was that the program sucked, a new bank could totally revamp it. There's a credit card for virtually all manufacturers out there, so im sure that this void has been noted by the big banks. If they do replace it, im hoping it doesn't turn into a lame benefit card like the GM card. That card blows.

Ya think?

We get $25 gc every month or every other month at the latest interval. Sometimes more.

You can redeem them for gift cards from a several different retailers, restaurants, etc... or use them for statement credit.

Archived