LegacyGT.com

Smoking coming from passenger side of the engine in a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo that was converted into a 5 Speed. For the past couple of months I have had smoke come from what appears to be the passenger side of the engine. I brought it in to a shop and they told me the smoking was happening because my turbo was damaged. They replaced the Turbo, Banjo Bolts and washers along with the intercooler. They also did an oil change. 2 days later, it started smoking really badly. I got it towed to the same shop and they told me the coolant hose from the reservoir to the turbo was cracked. They went ahead and fixed that as well. 6 weeks later, the smoking started up again, smoke was still coming from the same place. I brought it back to the same shop and they had told me they had to replace the dual stage fly wheel and pilot bearing, the clutch, the clutch save cylinder, and the turbo oil return hose and clamps. So I got that fixed. Yesterday, I had been driving for 10 minutes when I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I pulled over, saw the smoke coming from the SAME place. I noticed I was a little low on steering fluid so I put some in and drove to work. It did not smoke on my 20 minute drive home, but today it was smoking when I drove it. I am so clueless to what the problem is and very skeptical with this automotive repair shop. Any help would be appreciated before I spend any more money on this car. Thanks!

Hey, not for nothing but I just very recently went through this very same problem. Long story short I had a dealer perdmform services to the tune of 1600 to rid my car of a leak. After 3 failed attempts. I dug into it myself and found my power steering pump was leaking and running down to the block on the passanger side just in front of the Turbo. I replaced this and have yet to see smoking, much to the same symptoms you have described. Car is a 05 lgt 5eat.

• I Donated Too
Yes. Check behind the Power Steering pump. You should be able to eyeball this with a flashlight and the engine cover removed. If you see oil sitting behind the pump, even if it's a little wet that will be your culprit. Power Steering fluid is ATF so it's very thin and a little goes a long way - it likes to pool behind the pump and then make it's way down behind the timing belt covers and drips onto the exhaust. You can clean this all up with brake clean, spray behind the pump and then underneath (again you will have to remove the bottom engine tray/cover) and then if the smoking stops for a while then you will know this is your culprit. You can change the seals yourself or get a new pump... OEM pumps are ridiculously expensive and refurb ones about $120 plus your core and tend to leak too. I am on my third refurb and the last one went 18 months before leaking again.

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Turbo that was converted into a 5 Speed. For the past couple of months I have had smoke come from what appears to be the passenger side of the engine. I brought it in to a shop and they told me the smoking was happening because my turbo was damaged. They replaced the Turbo, Banjo Bolts and washers along with the intercooler. They also did an oil change. 2 days later, it started smoking really badly. I got it towed to the same shop and they told me the coolant hose from the reservoir to the turbo was cracked. They went ahead and fixed that as well. 6 weeks later, the smoking started up again, smoke was still coming from the same place. I brought it back to the same shop and they had told me they had to replace the dual stage fly wheel and pilot bearing, the clutch, the clutch save cylinder, and the turbo oil return hose and clamps. So I got that fixed. Yesterday, I had been driving for 10 minutes when I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I pulled over, saw the smoke coming from the SAME place. I noticed I was a little low on steering fluid so I put some in and drove to work. It did not smoke on my 20 minute drive home, but today it was smoking when I drove it. I am so clueless to what the problem is and very skeptical with this automotive repair shop. Any help would be appreciated before I spend any more money on this car. Thanks!

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same problem. Thought it.was cam covers bc they were leaking in both sides. Changed them. My.cv boot was torn. Replaced that. I pulled the front of the motor apart and found a trail of oil leading to the ps pump The ps pump was coated in oil. Got ine from napa and the pump was a dud. Got another one today and got ps back after a long bleeding process.. hoping I finally fixed this stupid problem. Its very hard to see with everything in the way.

well it didnt fix it. now im very annoyed. simple problem is becoming a big headache.. smoked out of the hood driving to work today. im exhausted of this problem.

Are you still losing steering pump fluid??? If not,then how about Coolant ?

What does it smell like? Look at the left side of the motor,in front of the turbo towards the front of the motor. I'll see if I can take a pic.But when the motor is cold,there is a possibility of a leak in that area.Look carefully,you can tell by the evaporated crud around a metal hose connection.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

when I come across unknowing leaking issues from engine bay and not most obvious where it comes from, if possible I just pressure wash the crap out of it so i can find the leak much easier. Some people might disagree on this method.

Disagree, only because pressure washing the engine bay can cause other problems, which can make it harder to track/diagnose your current problem. However, yes, by having things clean, it's easier to track oil leaks.

Instead of power washing, go crazy with a case of Brakekleen and shoprags -- all the clean with none of the risk.

well today I had some time and threw it on my lift. looks like the cam seals are smoked on the passenger side. Im going to pull it apart tonight and see if im right. guess ill be doing a timing belt, water pump and tensioner while its apart. I should at this point just reseal the entire motor.

well today I had some time and threw it on my lift. looks like the cam seals are smoked on the passenger side. Im going to pull it apart tonight and see if im right. guess ill be doing a timing belt, water pump and tensioner while its apart. I should at this point just reseal the entire motor.

Be sure to send your heads out for service -- See my rebuild thread for JmP's list on what your machine shop/head servicer should be doing.

Involves taking the heads off.

Hello Everyone,

So this happened to my 08 spec b, I thought the smoke was coming from the infamous oil line at the block, when I pulled the turbo and realized that wasn't it at all I looked at the turbo and saw a drip line from the inlet down the front of the turbo. I cleaned out the inlet and made sure the boot was on properly when I snugged it up to the turbo and haven't had a smokey episode since.

I'm moving to Greeley in a Month. if you need help still.

Archived