LegacyGT.com

Front Half Axle Questions

Metal2You

Question 1 :

My front left half axle has some rotational play where it connects to the transmission. IE, I can twist the half axle around its axis on the right/passenger side where it connects to the transmission/differential with my bare hand and there is some play where the axle rotates but the diff doesn't. On the other side (left/driver) there is no such play.

What could cause this rotational play? I'm assuming it is not normal and I believe it is probably the source of a vibrating or clunking sound I sometimes hear. Does this indicate that the axle is bad or that it is not properly installed onto the transmission? Maybe a set screw is not properly set?

Question 2 :

Do the front axle shafts for an NA 06 Legacy fit an 06 Legacy GT? Will these axle assemblies fit my 2006 LGT?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/subaru/legacy/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/axle_assembly.html

Background Info :

I had a local shop replace my clutch. When they had it all apart they noticed that the CV boot on the passenger side was torn, which I had noticed before also. I didn't notice any grinding or clicking from the CV so I had just let it be.

I decided to have them replace both CV joints since they already had the axles off and it would save me time or labor costs down the line. After they replaced both front half axles I noticed an occasional vibration or clunking from under the car on the passenger side when reversing up hill.

I found there was a leak of transmission fluid from the seal on the passenger side where the half axle mates to the transmission so I brought it back to the shop. They replaced the seal (again) for free.

Since then I've found that the passenger side CV boot has torn and thrown grease everywhere. The rattling/clunking sound from the passenger side has gotten a bit worse and sometimes it happens when driving forward also.

I'm probably going to take it back to the same shop again so they can replace the CV again. I'm pretty sure they would do it for free, I certainly won't pay them anything for it, but I'm not sure I want these guys touching my car again.

I'm considering paying the $75 to buy a new half axle and replace it myself. I know that would fix the CV joint, and I'm assuming it would fix the clunking/rattling sound too.

What do you all think? Thanks for any input or insight you can share.

After they replaced both front half axles I noticed an occasional vibration or clunking from under the car on the passenger side when reversing up hill.

That's a sign off a bad axle or CV.

IMO go to your local auto parts store, get a 100% new axle for about $80.00, have that installed along with a new axle seal on the tranny.

My $80. axle is doing fine over two years later.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived