LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

I don't know what you mean by logging through the serial cable. In my case the tuner connected my o2 sensor to his innovate equip, bypassing the rest of mine and Afr's are solid. So I know my tune is good ans my o2 sensor is calibrated and good. The rest of mine doesn t work properly and I don't know if it is the LC1 le the dig display that are the issue.

I've used the innovate programming software probably 90 times, both the current version and I even downloaded a prior version to no avail.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated

If the tuner is bypassing your LC-1, then we don't know if it's calibrated correctly.

Can you find a laptop with a serial port (or a serial-to-USB adapter) and hook it up to your LC-1 to check?

I know mine is calibrated at least semi-correctly, because I'm getting 13-16 AFR on my laptop when I'm pressing the gas, and 22 when I'm coasting. I don't know whether I'm actually running lean (quite possible that I am) or whether the calibration is still slightly off.

let me speak slowly............. I've used the programming software probably 90 times to calibrate the LC1. Nothing changes.

Innovate tech support tells me to do ANOTHER free air calibration of the 02 sensor. So, I pull the heatshield and pull the o2 sensor out of the dp and start calibration from scratch.

I said, i know my o2 sensor is calibrated, has been out of the dp a total of 4 times to re-do the free air calibration.

Does that make sense to you?

Then, I've tapped in to the LC1 with my laptop a gazillion times to calibrate so my readout is proper. Nothing changes. Mechanic that did the install says to pull the unit and ask Innovate for a RMA.

Edited by doccrowley

please detail, step by step, what you want me to do with my laptop.

Yes, I've purchased the serial to usb adapter.

Once my laptop is connected, please detail what you want me to test or do.

Please tell me it is not another calibration using the LM programmer software.

If you've got help so i can use my gtboostgauge display accurately, I'd love the help!

• I Donated

No, it's not another calibration. It's a sanity check. Is the problem with your VBG1, or with the LC-1 (either calibration or a faulty unit)? I believe you that you've calibrated multiple times, both free-air and setting the analog outputs with LM Programmer, but that doesn't mean that it calibrated itself correctly, and since the calibration process is automatic, there's not much diagnosis you can do during the actual process.

So what you need to do is log. RomRaider can do this. Hook up the LC-1, make sure the correct COM port is selected in the Innovate wideband plugin in RomRaider, and get out on the road and log a few pulls (also log some coasting -- coasting should be 22.xx AFR because the ECU cuts fuel when you coast). Logging AFR in RomRaider will only work if you log other parameters from the ECU, so break out that VAG-COM or Tactrix cable. Probably the most useful parameters if you're just testing the LC-1 are Engine Speed (RPM), Manifold Relative Pressure, Throttle Opening Angle, and maybe Airflow (g/s) and Injector Duty Cycle.

I will warn you that I had a little trouble getting the readout in RomRaider to work at first. If you're not getting a rapidly changing value at idle, something is wrong and you need to do some troubleshooting. I kinda goofed around with it until it started working. Sorry that isn't more helpful. :lol:

Edited by thefultonhow

Also to help trouble shooting the vbg1 readout - Supposedly you can force the analog output of the LC-1:

...you can program the analog outputs temporarily to output a flat line voltage by entering

the same voltage in both fields for the two analog out programming points. This way the analog output voltage will be fixed, independent of current AFR ...

Page 17 of http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

No, it's not another calibration. It's a sanity check. Is the problem with your VBG1, or with the LC-1 (either calibration or a faulty unit)? I believe you that you've calibrated multiple times, both free-air and setting the analog outputs with LM Programmer, but that doesn't mean that it calibrated itself correctly, and since the calibration process is automatic, there's not much diagnosis you can do during the actual process.

So what you need to do is log. RomRaider can do this. Hook up the LC-1, make sure the correct COM port is selected in the Innovate wideband plugin in RomRaider, and get out on the road and log a few pulls (also log some coasting -- coasting should be 22.xx AFR because the ECU cuts fuel when you coast). Logging AFR in RomRaider will only work if you log other parameters from the ECU, so break out that VAG-COM or Tactrix cable. Probably the most useful parameters if you're just testing the LC-1 are Engine Speed (RPM), Manifold Relative Pressure, Throttle Opening Angle, and maybe Airflow (g/s) and Injector Duty Cycle.

I will warn you that I had a little trouble getting the readout in RomRaider to work at first. If you're not getting a rapidly changing value at idle, something is wrong and you need to do some troubleshooting. I kinda goofed around with it until it started working. Sorry that isn't more helpful. :lol:

I assume you are talking about Romraider Logger?

What specific steps do I take so that my LC1 will talk to Logger? I need to know how to set up the log. I have the tactrix cable. In the logs my tuner has me run the afr/s stay blank because I haven't known how to connect my LC1 to my computer at the same time my tactrix is connected.

Yes I have the serial to usb adapter in place to use and multiple usb ports available on my laptop.

Please excuse my computer ignorance. I am very good at what I do for a living, computers are not part of that process :)

• I Donated
I assume you are talking about Romraider Logger?

Yes.

What specific steps do I take so that my LC1 will talk to Logger? I need to know how to set up the log. I have the tactrix cable. In the logs my tuner has me run the afr/s stay blank because I haven't known how to connect my LC1 to my computer at the same time my tactrix is connected.

Yes I have the serial to usb adapter in place to use and multiple usb ports available on my laptop.

Okay, so I'm not entirely sure if Tactrix cables use serial emulation. If they do, there should be two serial ports to select from, one for the Tactrix and one for the serial-USB adapter for the LC-1. If they don't, the serial-USB COM port should be the only one. You need to select the COM port for the serial-USB adapter in the plugin settings, which, appropriately, is in the "plugins" menu in RomRaider (not the "plugins" tab). There are two Innovate plugins; I believe the one I finally got to work was the one that specifically mentions the LC1 or LM-1. Once that is set to the correct COM port, you should be able to select it for logging in the "plugins" tab (not the "plugins" menu this time).

Sorry I can't give more exact instructions; my tuning laptop is out in my car, which is parked in a parking lot relatively far away from my office. :cool: Also, I have a VAG-COM cable and a laptop with an actual built in serial port, so your experience is probably pretty different from mine.

Ive been having a few odd issues/different experiences lately with my VBG1. I am running the latest and greatest software.

1. Once in a great while ill be driving down the road and I hear a beep and the top touch sensor light is lit up and the VBG1 is frozen. I have to reboot by shutting the car off and then back on to reset.

2. Seems my AFR with the LC-1 is reading about .3-.5 low vs Access Port vs Targets in mapping. I am going to check the grounding and recalibrate and report back.

May try the flatline voltage check

3. If the VBG1 goes to sleep and you want to wake it by pressing the top button it goes to the next display item in line instead of waking up where you were. For Ex. if I am monitoring AFR and it goes to sleep, when I wake it with the button it goes to peak, or voltage or whatever is next in line. So if I want to go back to what it was monitoring previously I have to hit the button 4 times.

Its seems that in previous software if you woke it up it would be where it was previously.

Am I wrong on that???

1. Once in a great while ill be driving down the road and I hear a beep and the top touch sensor light is lit up and the VBG1 is frozen. I have to reboot by shutting the car off and then back on to reset.

There is a known issues with touch sensor re-calibration occasionally causing a button press on the upper right button. However, this clears after 20 seconds or less. This should not require a re-start. You are running ver 1.05b6?

2. Seems my AFR with the LC-1 is reading about .3-.5 low vs Access Port vs Targets in mapping. I am going to check the grounding and recalibrate and report back.

May try the flatline voltage check

Check option 14 (Data Display Filtering) of the config menu, make sure this is set to low for the fastest AFR updates.

3. If the VBG1 goes to sleep and you want to wake it by pressing the top button it goes to the next display item in line instead of waking up where you were. For Ex. if I am monitoring AFR and it goes to sleep, when I wake it with the button it goes to peak, or voltage or whatever is next in line. So if I want to go back to what it was monitoring previously I have to hit the button 4 times.

Its seems that in previous software if you woke it up it would be where it was previously.

Am I wrong on that???

Hmm, I will check on that.

There is a known issues with touch sensor re-calibration occasionally causing a button press on the upper right button. However, this clears after 20 seconds or less. This should not require a re-start. You are running ver 1.05b6?

Check option 14 (Data Display Filtering) of the config menu, make sure this is set to low for the fastest AFR updates.

Hmm, I will check on that.

Yep running latest version, Ill check filtering.

Last one not a big deal but thought it was different in last version.

Thanks Lossol

2.4 Volts should give you 14.7 AFR if your getting 13.7 the input at the VBG1 should read somthing real close to 1.9V at the input to the VBG1.

Well my LC-1 output to the VBG1 has been reading about .3-.4 low on AFR as compared to the front O2 sensor.

I checked the voltage again today and it is putting out approx 2.2v which would translate to about 14.3-14.4 AFR if 2.4 is 14.7

I went ahead and pulled the O2 sensor and calibrated it to air and it did not change.

Is there anything I can do to get the output up on the LC-1?

I guess I should call them......

This is def. NOT a VBG1 problem

The grounds are tied together and when I check the resistance from the bat terminal to the ground stud on the shock tower its .3-.4 ohms. My meter leads are .2 so the ground seems good.

I did some more testig of my LC-1 with the VBG1 today.

I forced the output of the LC-1 to 5V as per the instructions.

The output I measure with a volt meter at the VBG1 connector is 4.903V

On the VBG1 display I get 19.7 AFR

This is exactly what I was reporting before. I never get the VBG1 to go to 20 AFR when letting off the throttle.

That .3 its off is exactly what it is off at 14.7 AFR I read 14.3-14.4

Any suggestions.....

What I did to fix this is put .25v instead of 0.00 at the 10 AFR, and 5v at the 20 AFR.

I guess the reference to ground is a bit off so by doing this my AFR is now spot on with the AP and my output is basically 2.4 at 14.7

Seems like the LC-1 has a voltage offset which equates to about a .3AFR offset in the VBG1.

What about trying setting the LC-1 as follows.

0 Volt at AFR: 10.3

5 Volt at AFR: 20.3

In theory if the offset is linear, this should shift up the output of the LC-1 by .3AFR.

To test at a fixed voltage/afr:

This all assumes that there is nothing critically wrong with the LC-1 hardware. It's worth a try.

Oh - you may have got it!

Edited by lossol
Just - missed your post - oops

lossol just fyi, the interesting thing is you dont need to necessarily use the fixed voltage to test max ouput.

The way you have the heating circuit set up to 5v also, the gauge goes to max AFR during the heating cycle so you can check what the voltage output is then.

Whether I put the fixed output to 5v and looked at it or looked at the heating time the voltage was the same at 4.9v

Im still not sure why the VBG1 only reads 19.7 max at 4.9v/5.0v during off throttle or when it sees 5v.

I dont know if its possible but I would like to see a change in the software to have a 25 AFR max selection then we can see the full range of the wideband.

We may have to change the output of the lc1 to read higher than 20 then as well.

Most WB at off throttle, including the front O2 sensor will read around 20.5-22.

Edited by Scooby2.5

I dont know if its possible but I would like to see a change in the software to have a 25 AFR max selection then we can see the full range of the wideband.

We may have to change the output of the lc1 to read higher than 20 then as well.

This is not a bad idea, maybe just open the range up a tad. Here is a blurb about the LC-1 Default, I may go with that. "The second output is programmed to output between 0 V for an AFR of 7.35 (gasoline) and 5.0V for an AFR of 22.39." If others have opinions I would like to hear them before I make a change in the next rev.

Also, I'm toying with the idea of adding some OBD CANBus support to the VBG1. Not sure how useful it would be. (feedback please) It would require a second box to establish a connection to the CANBUS. And a Serial connection to the VBG1 sending unit. (Because the VBG1 only has one serial connection, you would not be able to use PLX serial connection and CANbus connection at the same time). Some of the info you can read from OBD Can BUs connection would be:

"Engine rpm", "Speed km/h", "Throttle %", "Engine Load %",

"Coolant C", "Intake Air C", "Env. Temp C", "MAF Flow kpa",

"Abs. Load %", "Fuel press", "Intake press", "Barometer press",

"Timing Adv. ", "Fuel Level %", "Run Time"

I would have it designed so you can always leave the can bus interface installed, I don't want to have to worry about un-plugin it to prevent drain on the battery. Also, the interface box doubles as a torque interface adapter when you unplug the serial connection. (CAN BUS only)(http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page) (Bluetooth)

Let me know what you guys think of the idea, useful? or Forget about it...

Please let me know when you get them back in stock for the 4th gen LGT.

FYI - Few more VBG1s are in stock

Also, I'm toying with the idea of adding some OBD CANBus support to the VBG1. Not sure how useful it would be...Let me know what you guys think of the idea, useful? or Forget about it...

I think it's sexy. I've been subscribing to this thread for an eventual/possible purchase. While I personally don't have any CANBus-type parameters that I would NEED displayed, it would be a cool option to have.

EDIT: I don't know if this is of value to anyone else, but maintaining a reset-able run time clock might be cool. I'm not suggesting writing a run time to the ECU, but simply having a "lap" function where the meter can be set to 0 at any time and increment from there.

Edited by DeltaNu1142
Tits mcgee

Hi,

that sounds very good idea with the CAN bus. Perhaps it is also possible to read out the trouble code memory and erase. That would be perfect. Perhaps it is also advantageous to distribute it to two displays. One in the left air vent and one in the left, middle air vent.

Because I really wanted to buy your previous version, I'm willing to wait a bit and then take the version with CAN bus. Would also like to test for the beta. Since I'm Subaru mechanic that could perhaps be an advantage.

greeting

Marcel