LegacyGT.com

Headers......Worth It????

NuWiz

Was looking at purchasing some ELH for my '05 legacy and was wondering if they are worth the money. I have read in different forums mixed reviews regarding them. The ones I am looking at are GT Spec, Tomei, and then Perrin. My current setup is 5EAT, AVO Topmount, Crucial Upipe, Downpipe, Midpipe, and Magnaflow cat-back. Also at the time of header install a new fuel pump and mbc will be going on. Thanks in advance Mike.

***And yes I searched

IMO - considering the price for a nice set of ELH, I think they are worth it on a more heavily modded car (stage 3+) where you can squeeze the last bit of performance.

If you had a manual tranny, I would suggest adding injectors and a larger turbo, more bang for the buck. But considering you are 5EAT - a header may make more sense since a larger turbo/injectors would probably require some tranny serious upgrades.

Yes, there are some gains to be made with ELH headers. You lose the sound of inefficiency (eg-boxer rumblez), but if you want to squeeze the most out of things...it's the way to go. I loved my APS ELH when I had it on my car.

I was looking at getting gtspec but they were sold out so i got tomiokas (same exact thin with a different badge on it. From what i can tell it made a differnce but i did headers a gs ebc and a new ej257 block. Once i find a local dyno ill see how much of a differnce it made but also im going to the track this wednesday to see any improvements

GTSPEC > Perrin

If you are going to get headers you pretty much have to wrap 'em or whats the point. Wrap voids perrins "5yr" warranty. GTPEC is 2yr wrapped.

GTSpec/Tomei also has a nice 3 flange up with a sexy velocity stack.

IF ON OEM TURBO, why bother with headers that give power up top?

If I am only looking for maybe 10-15hp would PNP exhaust manifold and crossover pipe be the right route? The only reason being I don't want to spend $1,500 + for turbo and supporting mods at this time, maybe down the road.

I don't see much in the way of gains from headers on WRX models with stock TD04 turbos. On STi models you do much better because the turbo hotside may not be the biggest restriction in the exhaust path. On my WRX with a BNR TD05H-E16G (7.5cm2 housing) I picked up about 22whp and 20wtq from adding a Tomei EL header (same as GTSpec), with no loss of spool or low-end torque.

I'd recommend you put this on hold until you go to an upgraded turbo. Forget about porting the stock manifolds or adding a bigger COP. Poor return on investment of time and money.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The oem turbo only moves so much air. By the time the motor is at enough rpm to start taking advantage of the header, the oem turbo is already falling on its face.

This. You may be able to run a little more timing after fitting a header because it will even out the EGTs on all 4 cylinders. That won't however get you much power, certainly not 10 or 15whp.

OTOH you will probably lose some spool and low-end torque.

Start saving for a modest turbo upgrade, as no other power mods make financial sense. At stg2 you already have everything the stock turbo can offer.

Or, start into suspension and brake mods to make your car quicker through corners.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^Why bother on any turbo vs why bother on oem turbo.

LOL. Well said!

Want to see where equal length headers are worth it? MY turbo defines high boost, high rpm powa. Im betting headers make more than 20hp in my car.

But headers alone:lol:;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived