LegacyGT.com

What parts to replace when changing suspension?

ripcurl

I'll be removing the OEM springs and struts very shortly and replacing them with KYB shocks and Epic springs. I don't track the car and I use it as my DD. My car has 158,000km (98,000 miles) on it.

What parts do you recommend I replace while swapping the suspension? Any bushings or other wear and tear items? I was told the tophats should be replaced but I'm having a hard time finding OEM tophats.

I imagine your LCA bushings need replacing at that mileage if they haven't been - mine have large chunks missing at 73.5K. If you've already got the suspension apart for springs/struts might as well, (save on alignment rather than doing twice). I opted for the roll center/bump steer kit too that will replace the ball joints, as well as keep geometry in tact when lowering the car. Endlinks should probably be inspected as well. I went with Whiteline for all my bushings, but have heard AVO makes good stuff too, and those new GTSpec forged bits for the RC/BS kit look great! If I didn't already have all my WL stuff I'd probably try out the GTSpec kit.

I'm sure more experienced members can chime in as well.

Another chime-in for Whiteline front + rear LCA bushings and steering rack bushings while you're at it. Since he doesn't track the car, I think the Whiteline roll-center & bump steer kit will suffice. I agree on everything else Catalyst mentioned.

You may also want to pick up a pair of reinforcement brackets for the RSB stock or not.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Before committing yourself, you should check with the experts here about matching epics with a KYB stock-like strut/shock. They may not offer enough dampening depending on the spring rates. I am not an expert.

I also like the AVO and whiteline bushing suggestions made above. Might also be good to have one or more saggy butt shims for the rear in case your springs give and undisireable amount of drop in the rear. It's usually not a problem unless you are doing coilovers and springs together.

I just did KYB's all the way around (73k) and kept my stock springs. Stock springs so no drop. You want to keep the car "raked" properly is all I'm saying. May not apply in your case. I replaced my upper mounts and bumpers. I don't think the stock suspension uses bumpers in the rear, but I put them on anyway. Came in the box with the rear shocks. I reused the stock top hats. They looked new. Car is DD, not tracked. I would however replace my tophats on any car when doing a second strut change or if they had 120k or more miles. I do not drive the car very hard, but noticed fluid on the left rear shock at about 68k. The shock worked, but it was loosing dampening ability fast. Then I saw the same greenish fuild starting on the front right strut... she was ready to blow!

Call Ryan at FBP. He'll make sure you have everything else you might need.

Archived