LegacyGT.com

I have a ej253 and my buddy just went el in his wrx (ej205) and will give me his stock uel headers, how much modification is needed for these to fit? Between the 2 of us I would say we have adequate experience in metal/welding work, I need the rumble in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want more sound, remove the mufflers and start the car. See how loud it is. My 09 Spec B has not had mufflers for 2 years now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wait. I think he's on to something here!!!

I haz custom cat-back exhaust system that doesn't make any noise.

I don't want to pay $700 for cheap custom headers

I have a free set of OEM headers from a WRX

I want to modify free headers to work on my slow car to make more noise and I don't care about performance.

You're right. OP is on to something. He should use WRX headers to lake pipes and sell the custom catback exhaust. He'll have more noise. And OP+buddy can do the welding to make lake pipes.

Yeah, no, close thread.

• 5 months later...
I have a custom cat-back system, I just want the rumble and can't justify $700 for aftermarket ones, my car is slow and can't get much worse so I really don't care

Did you end up making the swap? I'm planning to do the same to mine, as you did, for the boxer rumble. Just wondering if you had any advice or workarounds to make it simple as possible

I got a set of obx headers from a 02-07 impreza rs and tsudo midpipe also form a 02-07 impreza for like $150 and it bolt right up. Only thing is that I had to relocate my my. O2. Sensors to the back of the bay so that the drop where a downpipe should be

headers don't make your car louder. Its the mufflers making it quieter. Check our nameless performance if you want loud. An STI clocked 125db on their catback system.

If you change to a 3inch exhaust system all the way back, you'll get more flow and more noise. if you use a megaphone exhaust you'll get more.

These are not hawnduhs, the problems are not with the intake or header, its from the DP back.

^And that's an ok explanation. However, volume is not my issue. The tone/overall note is where I am looking to improve. Hence why I'm using a UEL manifold from an 04 WRX. I'm not a fan of the EL tone on the NA motors.

headers are running thru the turbo. All the EL & UEL do is change the pulse configuration thru the turbo. The sound/volume/tone/growl/etc is all set after the turbo. In most cases the mid-pipe has the most effect on tone, especially the buzziness/drone.

If you have a non-turbo car, that's a different story.

headers are running thru the turbo. All the EL & UEL do is change the pulse configuration thru the turbo. The sound/volume/tone/growl/etc is all set after the turbo. In most cases the mid-pipe has the most effect on tone, especially the buzziness/drone.

If you have a non-turbo car, that's a different story.

I thing both these guys are n/a trying to achieve boxer rumble. Whatever happens the the one SWP leggy with 2 tone trunk and se badge? He had some kind of up/downpipe setup sans turbo setup. I'll try and see if I saved any of his YouTube videos from years ago.

*edit* found 1 video but not his.

Archived