LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContacts Keep Failing!

Stock 17" wheels on my 05 GT wagon

With the winter potholes so bad this year in Northeast, I've flatted FOUR of these tires! I would blame it on bad luck, but I flatted two of them prior to this winter.

Has anyone else had bad luck with these? Can anyone offer a better replacement? These things aren't cheap either.

I was thinking of going up to a 215/50/17...Would it help? Could I go even taller?

Could I put Outback struts and springs on it and go even bigger? This is driving me batty:spin:

I know it might be too late.. But Continental does offer a road hazard warranty for the first year or 2/32" of treadwear. After skimming through their warranty documentation, I think it should cover damage from pot holes, but I'm not positive.

What psi are you using?

I bought a set of '08 WRX wheels with Conti DWS (225/45 17) on them back in October and haven't had any problems yet. I run at 40/38psi. I need new front wheel bearings, but that's not the fault of the tires.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I was running at 32 until my fourth flat. Then I went to 45. Been fine for a month. I just noticed a serious bubble in my left rear yesterday. Is that considered Warranty?

I'm not sure, I would call continental directly and ask 1-800-847-3349

45? Wow! I run 37/35 and never had a tire blow out or had a flat ever, just a couple of nails but that's it.

Minnesota has pot holes everywhere, worse I've seen. All you can do is Slow down or find an alternate route that has better roads.

I was running at 32 until my fourth flat.

That's part of the problem right there. Recommended psi is 35/33 F/R. Many people on here recommend at least 3psi extra to help firm up the sidewalls. Though if a pothole is bad enough, it's not gonna matter if you're using 32 or 42psi. I think the max pressure is 50psi.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Max PSI is 51. I've decided to try it and see what happens next time i slam one of these things I don't see coming.

HOWEVER! I had a eureka moment yesterday when I took my bubbled tire in to get checked out and (sigh) replaced again...

BELGIAN BLOCK!

My very short driveway tapers from the two car garage to the entrance. It's lined with Belgian Block. Going in and out of the driveway, hitting the Belgian Block every now and then is inevidable. I've been parking my LGT and my Highlander in the driveway together. Highlander, no problem. LGT...deadly.

When I was inspecting the tire, I realized it was shredded at three points on the sidewall (one being where it bubbled). I'm parking it on the street from now on. I think this has been the cause of half my replacements. Other half are still just these f'ing potholes and bad luck....

Archived