LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'd look into a vinyl. There are overlays and a vendor who sells just the reverse cut out overlays here on lgt

Or just buy used '05 headlights... they came stock blacked out.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 3 weeks later...
What paint would be good for blacking out the middle plastic section of the lights? I was considering using glossy black duplicolor engine enamel for its high heat resistance, but I'm not sure how well it will bond to the chrome painted plastic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Black plasti-dip?

• 1 month later...
has anyone tried doing this with TYC lights? they're terrible, the plastic keeps breaking every time i try to pry it apart..

I second this call! I had my OEMs replaced with TYCs and now have the passenger side VERY fogged up! Normally I would just leave it but it is almost enough liquid to start pooling in the bottom of the housing.

Think I know my project for tomorrow...Since these housings are weak, might it be a better idea to bake these so all parts are soft?

I second this call! I had my OEMs replaced with TYCs and now have the passenger side VERY fogged up! Normally I would just leave it but it is almost enough liquid to start pooling in the bottom of the housing.

Think I know my project for tomorrow...Since these housings are weak, might it be a better idea to bake these so all parts are soft?

I tried that. The housing itself when it's heated up and soft literally just bends. It's so hard to actually get the headlight pried apart because every time you try to get leverage on it the plastic just bends. These tyc headlights absolutely suck. I've had them for about 4 months. Mine also have little pools of water in them. I got so frustrated I decided to just deal with it, then save up for some better lights. TYC = garbage from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by khurlburt

• 4 weeks later...

Did mine today. Holy crap I'm amazed at how much better it looks. Pictures just don't do it justice.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/upabesyh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...
has anyone had problems getting the amber reflector off? seems I had to bend off the metal bracket behind it. I got it off but now trying to install piece that goes infront of the signal light is loose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I did this with mine the other night.. But, how many others have done this, too? Anyone smoked the little strip yet?

Does nightshades keep the shiny bits shiny? I really wouldn't mind trying to black out the whole housing, as long as it was shiny enough to reflect light on the corners. Whatcha think?

1723604785_20140507_200751(600x450).jpg.e68631d6832186c52af136ed9aec437c.jpg

Where abouts could I get the clear bulb that blinks amber?

This might not help you... but "Outback" in Auburn keeps them in stock. Maybe they could ship them to you...

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Where abouts could I get the clear bulb that blinks amber?

Here....

Completed mine in only 2 hrs with a heat gun. Great write up.

For those looking for the silver bulbs that blink amber and w/out paying over $10 bucks go to this site:

http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm

I just purchased 2 of them today. 3157 Silver Vision $3.49 each, everything out the door was $9.48.

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/3156sv.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

Here's a few pics of my progress and a mockup of what it'll look like when I'm done.

As for the squirrel finders -- How does one delete those? Is it the flappy deal on the metal piece behind the projector lense?

I'm this far in, lol. Anyone wanna sell me some RX330 lenses? At this point, I'd just retrofit the stockers into the highbeams and swap in the 330s and call it a day. Meanwhile, I'm HID retrofitting, and want/need to delete the "squirrel finders", which I'm not entirely clear on what they are. While I'm at it, where do y'all mount your ballasts and anti-flicker caps? I'm not seeing a whole lot of wide-open space. . .

20140513_195817.thumb.jpg.2fdd3d44d687ec0e12d7cccdc3e66bfd.jpg

20140513_195905.thumb.jpg.ef31238758c0ef59c54edbe4882108ec.jpg

20140513_195913.thumb.jpg.cb68e879b3d56c23bde18365cd3a3a7d.jpg

20140513_195931.thumb.jpg.e00308fc65f604b9f669c63ac43c1775.jpg

20140513_200540.thumb.jpg.0f908b3307a6f7a36d593f2a55cb6f05.jpg

20140513_200544.thumb.jpg.0b77f14b2d882b952977f1fa4298e93f.jpg

^Man you lost me at "squirrel finders".

Check this out and see if it helps:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/29458-hid-project-write-up-detail-pics.html

Edited by SATSFYD
added information...

OK, so, what I got outta that was that the "Squirrel Finder(s)" (WTF came up with that name, anyway? Squirrels aren't in the middle of the road at the top of your beam at night. Unless they're like, Mexican Jumping Squirrels. In which case, kill!) is that smaller rectangle with the flap on the metal plate. From what I gather, I think I'm gonna break off the flap and then tape over the smaller hole with metal tape. .

Good Job.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=182623&d=1400129972

I even showed my gf, mom and grandma how projector headlamps and HIDs work, based on what I learned while reading all about it!

I bent the back flap completely downward (see previous posts) and then covered the front side with that metal/reflective tape. I didn't really bother to check the temp rating on that shit, though, so, it better be legit.

20140514_194817.thumb.jpg.9cee9ef0069cb784747a6d2030294a09.jpg

Edited by MrTris