LegacyGT.com

What would you do and what does your Legacy GT cost to maintain?

zdw1116

Hows it goin folks I am brand new to the forum and looking for some info and opinions. Straight to the point, I just graduated college, I have debt, I have little money, but I own a $10000 Wrangler. With that being said, I'm aware all cars cost money to maintain and keep running well. So in my position I am deeply considering selling my Jeep for its street value because I won't have any money to fix it if/when it breaks. With the money I sell the Jeep for I plan to buy an automatic 98 Legacy GT wagon from my buddy in town who is a mechanic.

Specs on the GT:

145k on the odo

Some rust driver rear quarter

2.5 Engine came from a donor GT with rear body damage and has:

-Head Gaskets replaced

-Timing belt changed

-New water pump

I drove it today and noticed shuddering under braking. He looked around and said he'd probably do the pads and rotors front and rear.

So, I am not a mechanic or anywhere near but I've done my research and it seems that the HG, timing belt, and water pump are the must-fixes on these cars. So, does it seem like a solid deal/idea for $2500? With the cash i have left over from the Jeep sale, I pretty much expect to be able to keep this Legacy going for a LONG time. Am i right or are my assumptions based in ignorance?

Sorry this is a bit of a scrambled post but any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Zach

Zach, you're buying a Suby from a friend who is also a mechanic but you're asking questions here which, imho, he ought to be able answer you right where you're at, no?

Anyway, 145k on the body and donor engine with how many miles? Critical elements have been changed and brakes about to be as well, right? How is the tranny?

If you don't trust your friend, take the car do a Subaru shop and have them take a look see......

Thanks for the reply. The donor engine has 145k as well, sorry should have noted that. I've never owned an automatic car before but it felt okay as I drove it. No clunking or noises from it but I could feel the shift from 1st to 2nd gear a bit, I don't know if that's common in automatic cars or not.

It's not that I don't trust my friend, but he has done the work to the car (installing donor engine) and is letting his brother use it in the mean time before he sells it, so if anything is wrong with the car other than the brakes he may be ignorant to that. I'm looking for info on what I can expect to have to repair (i know no one can predict the future). I just want a car that will last, with minimal repairs along the way. I'll have money available to pay for the repairs if they do occur, but I'd rather they not.

Thanks

I had a 99 with 175,000 miles on it and all I ever replaced was a starter coil spring and wear items like brakes and tires. It met it demise because I never did a timing belt, my buddy bought it from me and also didn't do the timing belt and it killed the motor at 200k miles. If your strapped for cash you will be happy when you don't have to fill your tank as often and tires won't cost 120dollars a piece.

I went from a blazer to a 1999 legacy and I was happy enough that I am now on my third Subaru.

Archived