LegacyGT.com

Right rpm to shift

APPLE HUMMER

hello guys,

i have a subaru legacy gt 99 model with an ej20 2.5l twin turbo engine. And it has a triptonic tansmission. i was wondering what could be the best rpm to shift up when racing which will not harm the engine but will give me a fast pick up on speed. I will really appreciate your help

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my legacy 6500 is right next to the limiter. I always shift there. The engines were pushed much further than that during development so 6500 isn't maxing the engine's capability, but staying in the safe zone. That's why there is a limiter. I wouldn't suggest staying at 65000 over long periods of time, but I wouldn't think it would hurt that much.

In my legacy 6500 is right next to the limiter. I always shift there. The engines were pushed much further than that during development so 6500 isn't maxing the engine's capability, but staying in the safe zone. That's why there is a limiter. I wouldn't suggest staying at 65000 over long periods of time, but I wouldn't think it would hurt that much.

I revved my engine to 65000. Once. Definitely didn't keep it up there for too long.

• Mega Users
The right rpm for racing is 6738. If you go over, you'll damage your engine. Under, and you're starting the next gear with less power. I'd recommend getting a digital tach so you can ensure you hit this number.

To add on what seabass07 said, the most effective way at launching an awd car is to side-step the clutch on the upsweep (as the revs are approaching redline).

Oh, sorry, you have an automatic. In that case do the same while in N and drop it in D.

The right rpm for racing is 6738. If you go over, you'll damage your engine. Under, and you're starting the next gear with less power. I'd recommend getting a digital tach so you can ensure you hit this number.

Call me crazy, but i had my tuner tune me for 6740!!

6738 RPM is good if you're using conventional oil. For best results, you really should be putting the same ultra low viscosity oil you use in your engine in your trans as well. The resistance in the fluids being different viscosity (the way it comes from the factory) is really going to slow the process down. One needs to overcome the resistance of the other and when you go to match revs while shifting, it restarts the process.

If you upgrade the oil, I found Spec-B oil to be the best, then you'd actually be ok with going up to around 7348RPMs.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Subaru no have tiptronic AFAIK

in a subie, its sportshift

stop being stupid. The OP said tiptronic...so lets stay on topic and discuss tiptronic.

Sportshift, steptronic, manu-matic, quick-stick, dual-gate are all different

stop being stupid. The OP said tiptronic...so lets stay on topic and discuss tiptronic.

true.

i love porsche

Quick-stick? Sounds like a tranny operation, in a hurry.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

thanks alot guys, really appreciate, i will try sticking to 6000rpm, it seems thats the safest and i have a tachmeter but the mechanic told me i need to order some kind of plug for it to work but as at right now, its only the light for the pointer and scale that switches on, the pointer dosnt move and Jesseh, my scooby is triptonic and has sport shift on the steering wheel

To add on what seabass07 said, the most effective way at launching an awd car is to side-step the clutch on the upsweep (as the revs are approaching redline).

Oh, sorry, you have an automatic. In that case do the same while in N and drop it in D.

This. Make sure to get it up as high as possible for the most power.

Archived