LegacyGT.com

Changed the tranny n diff fluid...

About a week and a half ago, I swapped the tranny and diff fluids out. I used non-syn Valvoline 75W/90 for the rear diff and Redline 75W/90NS for the tranny.

WOW, what a difference the Redline oil makes! Buttery smooth now. Good cold weather action too. Feels great-especially with a short shifter. I DO think I overfilled it (ooops), but I think it'll be OK.

Definitely consider Redline for your next change.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What redline did you use?

+1

Used Redline for the tranny and the diff about 7,000 miles ago and still working great. Changing both out was a lot easier than I thought it might be too. A highly recommended "mod" for even the most reluctant shade-tree mechanic.

Chris

75w90ns for the tranny and 75w90 for the rear diff...both Redline.

Chris

I am about to do the same. Are you saying not to use NS in the rear diff?

I ordered Royal Purple and was told to use it in both locations.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

I am about to do the same. Are you saying not to use NS in the rear diff?

I ordered Royal Purple and was told to use it in both locations.

This is what I gathered from others' posts here. 75w90 in the rear diff and 75w90ns in the tranny. I believe that the important part was to make sure that you used the ns in the tranny. You can probably find much more detail (and knowledable posters) on this with a quick search on "75w90ns". HTH

Chris

This is what I gathered from others' posts here. 75w90 in the rear diff and 75w90ns in the tranny. I believe that the important part was to make sure that you used the ns in the tranny. You can probably find much more detail (and knowledable posters) on this with a quick search on "75w90ns". HTH

Chris

NS in the tranny...NON NS in the diff. <----That is the correct method. Change it, and you'll certainly have issues.

NS in the tranny...NON NS in the diff. <----That is the correct method. Change it, and you'll certainly have issues.

Not to deny you, but the owner's manual for my Legacy does not specify. It reads only 75w90 for both.

Also,

is it ever too early to change the drivetrain fluids? I have 5k miles, no issues shifting, turboback w/ Cobb stg 2 and have already gone to Mobil 1 at 3k. I don't ABUSE my car but definitely drive spirited. What's best?

Thanks.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

Not to deny you, but the owner's manual for my Legacy does not specify. It reads only 75w90 for both.

Also,

is it ever too early to change the drivetrain fluids? I have 5k miles, no issues shifting, turboback w/ Cobb stg 2 and have already gone to Mobil 1 at 3k. I don't ABUSE my car but definitely drive spirited. What's best?

Thanks.

Scoobydrew, this applies to Redline SYNTHETIC tranny oil only. I have no experience with other oils. "NS" is a Redline thing.

I was thinkin' of changin' mine, but wasn't sure If I should on auto?

Careful, the 5eat has its own fluid spec. I believe it is ATF Type J. Either use the oem stuff, or you can contact Specialty formulations Inc, they can make a fluid spec'ed to what Subaru calls for.

Actually I thought I heard this was also used on Nissan FM chassis's, so there maybe something available ots...

Archived