LegacyGT.com

Searched ( a lot) - Electrical Issue

I replaced my clutch last Wednesday, drove the car to work & back Thursday, Friday, all was fine. Went to the store Friday night & she wouldn't start to go home. When I turned the key the dash lights all dimmed & went out, then kinda flickered dimly. So I think a loose battery connecton or bad starter ground. Check starter ground, clean, dry, tight, remove battery terminals & replace & same behavior, but after a few turns of the key she cranks. Cranked it twice & engine fired (battery was strong). Drove it all weekend, went to start today & same thing. After a minute of sitting she cranks normally. This time the headlights would dim over bumps then come back normally. :confused:

I remember disconnecting the main multi-connector, two connectors on top of the transmission, & both battery cables during the clutch installation. The main connector & two on top of the trans snapped together nicely. Going to check the two ground connectors on the driver's side of the engine tonight, maybe I bumped then putting the starter back on & that's all I can think of. Did I miss something else?

I have the same problem. Had a local shop replace my clutch 1 month ago. CEL came on a few days ago and I reset the ECU by pulling a batery terminal (pulled code and it was my intake). After that i had the same symptoms, turn the key and the dash lights flicker, lights go off, and car won't start. I thought the battery was loose or corroded. I cleaned the battery terminals tonight and retighted the connectors. Car wouldn't start twice today. Will see how it goes tomorrow. Probably take the car in this weekend if it persits. I'll keep you posted.

How do you guy's know your batteries are good ? have you replace them in the past year ? both carsare near the end of the OEM battery life.

Did you clean the battery terminals ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the replies guys. I have manually pressed in the clutch switch, that's not it.

I cut off the old negavite battery terminal & put on a new one last night, hopefully that will fix it. Lights stayed constant this morning. I had replaced the positive termional about a year ago. Subaru OEM terminals are not very robust.:spin:

The two ground connections to the drivers side engine bracket were super tight already.

The lights dimming sounds like a bad ground... on old motorcycles I constantly chase bad grounds for lighting... a lot of times I'll use a little sandpaper on the ground connectors to make sure they contact well...

Doing the clutch that ground on the starter is an obvious one, as is the main connector, you could look for bent/pushed in/corroded pins there as well. I forget, does the starter ground connect on one of the bell housing bolts or is it separate? If it's the former are the transmission and engine tight together and the bolt tight (not flexing while driving?).

Archived