LegacyGT.com

Long term results from SPT Intake?

2.5SLGT

• 2 months later...

I'm curious about this as well. I just installed one on my wife's Spec.B and it sounds great and seems to have smoothed out the power curve in the mid range, but I'm curious as to long-term experience from others.

This car is seldom driven hard, so I'm not too worried about it. We also do not intend on modifying farther than perhaps a catback down the road.

Everyone took theirs off because the testing of the intake proved it was unsafe on an untuned vehicle, and very hard to tune. Moreover, you lose power with it on...

Searching the forums I've found many threads of people stating this. However, I'm having a hard time finding a thread that contains the test results (not words, but actual numbers). These would (hopefully) include dyno charts of the loss of power, as well.

Because it is covered under the Subaru warranty, our vehicle is brand new with most of its MFG warranty left on it, and we don't drive it hard, I'll volunteer to be the unofficial long-term SPT Intake test guinea pig. :redface:

Searching the forums I've found many threads of people stating this. However, I'm having a hard time finding a thread that contains the test results (not words, but actual numbers). These would (hopefully) include dyno charts of the loss of power, as well.

x2 I ordered mine from the dealership with the heat shield and will be here wednesday. It seemed worth a shot since the discount is generous :rolleyes: I could try and log some data if it would help some other people.

From the looks of it the Cobb and SPT intake look pretty identical and Cobb tested the SPT intake without the heatshield (which even our parts guy said that it's meant to be used with). So for the price of a used K&N typhoon intake I'm getting the whole package and am interested in how this works out.

Searching the forums I've found many threads of people stating this. However, I'm having a hard time finding a thread that contains the test results (not words, but actual numbers).

Cobb posted a PDF on their site. They've since removed it, but there was quite a bit of discussion about it at Nasioc, and that's still up.

I used an SPT intake/heatshield for a year, and just swapped it out for the Cobb SF/box. The SPT sounds amazing, but there's no question I'm making more power with the Cobb. I was probably making more power with the K&N panel I had first, but the short ram sound is addictive. The SPT is a fun piece if you like the noise, and can be found pretty cheap used. FWIW, I never had a problem leaning out with the SPT, even before tuning for it.

i've had it on for about 35,000 miles with no problem. although i don't have any numbers, i felt a very slight increase in power when coupled with the heat shield and SPT exhaust, but it sounds great!

From the looks of it the Cobb and SPT intake look pretty identical

Lol, then you need to look a lot closer my friend, specifically where the MAF sensor is located . . . in the piping bend where there's a ton of fluctuating air turbulence (SPT) vs the Cobb which is located just after the filter in the straight pipe before the bends. The power difference also has a lot more to do with the fact that the SPT's metal piping gets INSANELY hot after only a short drive where as the Cobb intake's silicon tubing only gets warm. My intake temps were 10-20 degrees higher when I ran the SPT intake+airbox vs the Cobb SF intake + airbox (used the SPT heat shield with both) . . . right there's where your power loss comes from.

My intake temps were 10-20 degrees higher when I ran the SPT intake+airbox vs the Cobb SF intake + airbox

just curious but how did you keep track of your intake temperatures?

i had one, got rid of it. i got sick of the screaming after a few months. i cant really say how it impacted performance, i never drove the car with the stock airbox (came with the SPT on it). at times it felt sluggish when getting on the highway, but this was before i ever went stage 1 or anything so it could have just been the car, or the sound of rushing air made me think i should have been going faster than i was.

i moved to an AEM (with a stage 1 tune, at the time...now past that....) and still can hear the nice sounds of an intake but at a much more enjoyable volume level.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine has been on the car (06 LGT, MT) along with the heat shield for almost 60K. My car is currently at 90K. I haven't noticed any loss in power. I didn't notice a 1mpg increase in fuel economy over stock and the studder seemed to have almost disappeared.

To slacks et al: just buy the SPT intake and forget what others who have been on these forums and actually ran the SPT with bad results and data logs/AP real time #'s etc. have said. I believe everthing that's written on an advertisement especially by the company that makes/writes it. Hmmm.. I wonder why there are so many good deals on 'em these days? Meh, go get one!!:)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Previous owner installed SPT on mine 05 LGTW and since I did not get original intake with the car I just kept it. I had Infamous1 to rescale MAF though. (along with stage 1 tune :)

I can't comment on the difference of SPT and others but I see no problems so far. Here is my tq and hp before and after tuning. I have Borla exhaust and everything else is stock. The values are based on power to the wheels, I have no idea how much is it to the fly wheel.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/tobyloby/SugawiLGTStg1SPTBorlaCBE.jpg

• 8 months later...
Just out of curiosity. Has anyone had the spt intake on for a long time and had any problems? any problems what so ever.

I don't know if it was caused by the SPT Intake, but I had a lot of problems when I had my '05 Legacy GT. I had a bunch of engine problems, and one time so bad my car was off the road at a dealership for repairs for nearly a whole summer. I strongly advise not to **** with it. Buyer beware.

btw... The only mod I had was the SPT Intake. Also be warned, it's obnoxiously loud.

Archived