LegacyGT.com

Catastrophic Turbo Failure - Long Post, Skim-Friendly

TL;DR version: Turbo went boom.

Eight days ago, when I was almost home in my Outback, I had almost no power, and my engine wouldn't rev above 3,000 RPM. When I got home, I pulled my codes with LearningView. I forget the number... maybe P0011... but it was the code for cam over-advance.

So, in a -45º F Windchill, and not in a garage, I pulled my OCVs. I cleaned 'em and put 'em back in. I've been meaning to do this anyway, so great. Just a really cold day is all. I drive in circles by my driveway to test the car. The engine runs slightly better, but still with no power or high revs. The car stalls if I let the engine drop to idle speeds. I then noticed a weird smell, so I pulled back into the driveway and popped the hood. My oil dipstick had been ejected, and oil had spewed a bit. I immediately thought, "Too much oil pressure." Then the proverbial light went on. I had installed a non-Subaru oil filter near the end of the summer. I know, I know. I've brought this upon myself.

I installed a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L35936]Royal Purple 10-2876[/ame] because it's supposed to filter even better and last even longer. I had done thorough research, and this filter seemed pretty legitimate. Here's the catch: either the oil filter bypass operates at a different pressure than OEM, or it was clogged beyond operation.

I had somehow misremembered, thinking that the RP filter didn't have a bypass, so I figured I just needed to change the oil and filter. So the next day, in -60º F Windchill, I changed my oil and filter. The used RP oil filter was considerably heavier than any used OEM filter, despite being smaller. "Must be clogged as I suspected," I thought. I figured that I had solved my problem.

I buttoned everything back up, and reset the ECU to get rid of bad timing learned from too much oil pressure and sticky OCVs. I start the car. Still no power. Now I'm getting a bunch of smoke from the exhaust, and the car doesn't run at all, even with a little gas pedal action. More codes. Misfires in cylinders one, two, and three (not four! ha!). At this point, I got out of my car feeling pretty defeated.

The next day, in -40º F windchill, I pulled my intercooler off. There was oily sludge in the intercooler, so my new theory of a blown turbo oil seal is looking pretty good.

Yesterday, I pulled the turbo. It was oily, there's shaft play, and the turbines look pretty bad. This turbo was supposedly new from Subaru, installed by the Volvo dealership I bought the car from at 97K miles three years ago. I think I'm at nearly 130K miles now. The bearing in the factory-original turbo failed during my test-drive. When I removed the turbo, I noticed some things that made me sad. The turbo inlet hose had been ripped. The oil feed line was bent to remove the turbo, presumably because the flare nut joint (what's it called?) was stuck. I couldn't open that either, so I, too, had to bend the oil feed line to remove the turbo. The oil return hose wasn't even clamped on the bottom side. One of the bolts holding my down pipe to the turbo was never reinstalled. I could see on the down pipe gasket where there was some exhaust blow-by.

Thankfully, I've been able to borrow a vehicle to get to work, etc. My plan for now is to file my taxes and use the expected return to buy an old Saturn SL2 or something, then fix the Subaru as time and money allows. This would allow me a nice time buffer to fix things the right way.

Edit: I added a few more pictures.

Edit 2: LearningView

133446820_CompressorClose.thumb.jpg.d3596c3628c096b3ef519be004a28a9d.jpg

1474831061_CompressorWide.thumb.jpg.b1060081b25d290d4958b5b5f6290d1b.jpg

162454151_TurbineClose.thumb.jpg.38247ea32c3acc7daefd24785e946e94.jpg

375092823_TurbineWide.thumb.jpg.9987dedbb0116bf79859f54d610ed5f9.jpg

1074519379_photo1.JPG.2726d185ae718352ae7b8a88bff5a784.JPG

837570538_photo2.JPG.6a633d3a04f8eb0dce111772fb27c355.JPG

629654717_photo3.JPG.20b0bab6ce666d091ec1f600b3001c92.JPG

223819743_photo4.JPG.6eae41dd2d84fa2f463422fd55e8d6d6.JPG

363888296_ScreenShot1.thumb.jpg.a47a2e011330e3894a8d99d1fc4bf865.jpg

1419262696_ScreenShot3.thumb.jpg.4e9d6d3ae9116e6b4be249ef04f26b7d.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subaru plans:

• Up- and down-pipe
  • Clean PCV, grease starter, replace turbo inlet hose, maybe replace knock sensor
  • Attempt to rebuild my VF-40

I can get a new VF-40 cartridge for about $250 right now from eBay. The cartridge is the important part, right? As long as that's new, this should work well enough, right?

I could go with BNR 16G, but then I need a new oil feed line, which means pulling the intake manifold I think. I don't want to take that off. It also far more costly. I could go with a rebuilt (new cartridge) VF-46. What do you think?

123024533_eBayListing.thumb.png.df4388a48a573672802e9666a5e6a05f.png

As long as you compressor housing is in good shape the ebay part should work.

You will remove the banjo filter, right ?

You will pull the oil pan and check for metal, right ?

If you find metal, you will replace the oil cooler, right ?

you will get a new oil return hose.

I like to bolt the turbo on the up pipe, use the bolts from the up pipe bracket to the block, the dealer has them. Makes lining up the inlet hose, oil return line and turbo to up pipe much easier.

My oil feed AN fitting is frozen too, just bend the pipe carefully.

Also that missing nut on the DP is common. You'll understand why when you put it back together.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You will remove the banjo filter, right?

You will pull the oil pan and check for metal, right?

If you find metal, you will replace the oil cooler, right?

That was the plan. EDIT: Except I was originally thinking that I'd replace the banjo filter with a new one. Perhaps not though.

You will get a new oil return hose.

Now I will, thanks! Thanks for the install tips, too.

After my wagon had the P0011 and P0021 codes the banjo filter was removed. the oil flushed and changed. I got another 100 miles out of my turbo, I got lucky, the turbo whinned when in boost, then the day it whistled when leaving for work and stopped driving and ordered a vf52 that morning had it the next day. www.AZPinstalls.com got it for me.

If you blades contacted the compressor housing...you have metal in the oil. Looking at your pictures...they hit the housing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Would a non Subaru oil filter REALLY do that damage? I've been running STP filters on my FXT (before I found out that Subaru's are fairly picky on filters), and as far as I can tell the car has been doing just fine.

How are your turbo banjo filters, pull the one behind the turbo out and see if it's dirty. My FXT's filters were spotless, but LGT had a very dirty banjo filters. LGT Turbo was already replaced once by previous owner, but new damage could still be there because they didn't replace/remove the filters.

http://images.rvsmods.com/var/albums/Cars/LGT/Engine/Banjo-Filters/CIMG0674.JPG?m=1383856302

http://images.rvsmods.com/var/albums/Cars/LGT/Engine/Banjo-Filters/CIMG0678.JPG?m=1383856302

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I use Fram filters for most of the wagons first 154,000 miles and cheap dino oil from Walmart, Mobil 5000, Shell, Exxon, whatever 5-30 was on sale.

Sometimes Rotella 15-40 in the summer.

Would a non Subaru oil filter REALLY do that damage? I've been running STP filters on my FXT (before I found out that Subaru's are fairly picky on filters), and as far as I can tell the car has been doing just fine.

How are your turbo banjo filters, pull the one behind the turbo out and see if it's dirty. My FXT's filters were spotless, but LGT had a very dirty banjo filters. LGT Turbo was already replaced once by previous owner, but new damage could still be there because they didn't replace/remove the filters.

http://images.rvsmods.com/var/albums/Cars/LGT/Engine/Banjo-Filters/CIMG0674.JPG?m=1383856302

http://images.rvsmods.com/var/albums/Cars/LGT/Engine/Banjo-Filters/CIMG0678.JPG?m=1383856302

No the filter choice itself wouldn't case any problems. I run an oversized filter because I'm odd.

Subaru plans:

• Up- and down-pipe
  • Clean PCV, grease starter, replace turbo inlet hose, maybe replace knock sensor
  • Attempt to rebuild my VF-40

I can get a new VF-40 cartridge for about $250 right now from eBay. The cartridge is the important part, right? As long as that's new, this should work well enough, right?

I could go with BNR 16G, but then I need a new oil feed line, which means pulling the intake manifold I think. I don't want to take that off. It also far more costly. I could go with a rebuilt (new cartridge) VF-46. What do you think?

PM JmP6889928. He is rebuilding the OEM turbos to fix their internal oiling issues. he has several in stock and ready to ship. So much better quality than ebay stuff.

PM JmP6889928. He is rebuilding the OEM turbos to fix their internal oiling issues. he has several in stock and ready to ship. So much better quality than ebay stuff.

There you go, someone we trust has them for you.

After my wagon had the P0011 and P0021 codes the banjo filter was removed. the oil flushed and changed. I got another 100 miles out of my turbo, I got lucky, the turbo whinned when in boost, then the day it whistled when leaving for work and stopped driving and ordered a vf52 that morning had it the next day. www.AZPinstalls.com got it for me.

If you blades contacted the compressor housing...you have metal in the oil. Looking at your pictures...they hit the housing.

D:

I never heard any weird whining noises. The first turbo I definitely heard when it failed. That was pretty distinct. I'll have to further assess the damage, but I think, er... I hope the damage will be minimal.

Would a non Subaru oil filter REALLY do that damage?

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that the turbo ruined the filter instead of the filter ruined the turbo. Hmmm. Maybe the better filter even helped a little. =[

AVCS bolts looked like they had no filter, but I'm thinking maybe they just dropped out, like yours did. Turbo bolt looked pretty dirty. I couldn't get the filter out, but I didn't try very hard, either. The banjo bolt filter was supposedly replaced with a brand new one three years ago.

I like your build thread, by the way. I was a little surprised you didn't just put an FM Modulator in your car. The OEM head unit sounds pretty good to me. I like the iSimple. One cable to charge my iPhone and play music, too.

:(

Man. This whole situation just makes me sad, especially because of how perfect of a vehicle the Outback XT is for me.

Wonderful versatility. Lots of room in the back to store supplies for helping other folks out of bind such as a flat tire. Ground clearance that mocks MN roads. AWD that laughs at MN snow. Starts every time, even in -25º F actual temperatures with my factory-original battery. Enough power for some fun driving. My first car. Enough problems to teach me that I can, in fact, work on cars- I learned I'm not just the computer guy.

Wow. It almost feels like I'm losing a good, long-time friend. It seems silly to like a car so much, but the silliness doesn't make it untrue.

I think I'd be happy with a LGT brake swap (OBXT is single piston up front).

That oil line looks good though.

Thanks

I think I'd be happy with a LGT brake swap (OBXT is single piston up front).

That oil line looks good though.

Thanks

check on the brakes forum section. has all the info you need on swapping the brakes. if all else fails, PM BarManBean. he has swapped stuff onto his Outback(s) enough times to know what works.

AVCS bolts looked like they had no filter, but I'm thinking maybe they just dropped out, like yours did. Turbo bolt looked pretty dirty. I couldn't get the filter out, but I didn't try very hard, either. The banjo bolt filter was supposedly replaced with a brand new one three years ago.

I like your build thread, by the way. I was a little surprised you didn't just put an FM Modulator in your car. The OEM head unit sounds pretty good to me. I like the iSimple. One cable to charge my iPhone and play music, too.

My 05 LGT didn't have AVCS filters, while my 04 FXT did. Rumor has it that 05 FXT didn't have AVCS filters, thus 05 LGT probably never had them too.

I used a dentist like pick to get the filter out, they come out fairly easily if you don't mind killing the useless filter.

Thanks, I hope the thread is helping you a long, I'm tempted to do my parking brake shoes next... As for radio, I used an FM modulator with USB support for a bit, but crappy sound quality plus poor file browser made me hate it.

I don't use MP3 players anymore, 16GB USB stick that always stays in the car, doesn't need charging, and is browsable through the head unit FTW.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

My 05 LGT didn't have AVCS filters, while my 04 FXT did. Rumor has it that 05 FXT didn't have AVCS filters, thus 05 LGT probably never had them too.

I used a dentist like pick to get the filter out, they come out fairly easily if you don't mind killing the useless filter.

Thanks, I hope the thread is helping you a long, I'm tempted to do my parking brake shoes next... As for radio, I used an FM modulator with USB support for a bit, but crappy sound quality plus poor file browser made me hate it.

I don't use MP3 players anymore, 16GB USB stick that always stays in the car, doesn't need charging, and is browsable through the head unit FTW.

Oh, that's fair. I like the interface of the iPhone's music player, plus I have it mounted high (in front of the cubby) so that my eyes always have some periphery on the road. iPhone + Spotify = all the music I need. :-). This also serves as my nav system.

Archived