LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy wierd noise

hello i have gt 08 and i have some wierd noise come out from i belive transmition, when i press the clutch it stop and when i release it, its like this tin cat noise. anybody knows what is it????

Got it too, no idea what it is, and yes it's very annoying. My wife and I noticed it the first night we had the car. Well both cars to be precise, the engine went in my first car, and now I'm enjoying my second car (15000 KM and still good!). The replacement car also has the noise, so I assume it's normal. Although how a noise like that can be normal is beyond me....

I haven't brought it back to the stealership to have it looked at, because I don't like my dealership, and don't go there anymore. It's a bit harder to notice now with my turboback exhaust anyway :lol:

But seriously if you find take it in, let me know what they say

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Doubt it's the throw out bearing, because this is happening, in my case anyway, with 2 brand new (0 mi) cars, so unless it's coming from the factory defective, then it must be something else

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Is this the noise that you get while decelerating in gear?

Yes, that is the noise I'm talking about (OP too I think). A continuous grinding/thrashing noise coming from under the hood when decelerating in gear (manual tranny). Most noticeable at lower speeds/lower gears. Clutch in and it goes away, tapping the gas also makes it go away. Also occurs during (cold) startup.

Does that sound familiar??

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

OK just found this interesting read especially about point #5

Maybe this is what we are hearing??

Subaru WRX Transmission - Gear Attack

Gear set solutions

By Scott Wills

The Subaru WRX has established its superiority with an affordable price tag and unforgettable all-around performance.

The WRX in stock trim can be a competitor almost anywhere it goes, whether it is rally or road racing; out of the box, this car disappoints many adversaries.

The five-speed transmission, however, is the topic of conversation for many enthusiasts on the street and many competitors at the track. The majority of the complaint list goes as follows:

Gear Set Symptoms

1) Hard launches break first gear

2) The car will not go back into first gear unless you come to a complete stop

3) Fifth gear is absolutely useless at the track

4) Constantly stuck between the top of first and the power in second

5) Transmission makes noise during decceleration

These aren't reflective of the opinions of the average WRX owner, but instead from those who push their WRXs to the very edge. Of course, as always, preventative maintenance is the name of the game for the WRX and its not-so-loved transmission.

Most of our testing was done with a few rally-prepped WRXs. Rallying is the ultimate test bed for any product because of its extreme conditions. A rule of thumb is, if it can stand up to rallying, it will stand up pretty much anywhere.

1) Hard launches break first gear

Most complaints come from those who have admitted to revving pretty high before dumping the clutch. The AWD cars are great for getting power to the ground, offering astounding amounts of traction.

When you modify the 2.0 turbo engine, it's easy to find a lot of torque and horsepower quickly, but remember the rest of the car needs to be addressed to handle the power gains.

The number one suggestion is to be aware of potential weaknesses and don't side step the clutch. It is very possible to launch hard with a little clutch finesse; however, be prepared to regularly maintain the clutch linings.

The other option is going with an after market gear set. Most of the aftermarket gear sets are way stronger than stock, but hard launches can destroy way more than just first gear...trust us.

2) The car will not go back into first gear unless you come to a complete stop

It always starts with a little synchro scratching going back to first gear. A new car is usually able to find first gear from 20 to 0 mph. Eventually, that speed lessens until all you get is an excruciating grinding noise unless you are at almost a complete stop.

This noise is very frustrating at the track, especially when the track has a lot of hairpins or very tight corners where first gear would be effective. First gear becomes useless as soon as you shift out of it until you come to a complete stop. The first thing to try is upgrading the transmission oil. The factory Subaru oil is not bad, but there are some very advanced lubricants on the market that can help with this problem.

We stumbled into the ultimate Subaru tranny oil info. We all know the basis for R&D on the WRX is rallying, so what does the World Rally Championship Subaru team run in their cars? Neo Synthetic lubricants, which are manufactured and distributed here in the United States.

We tried some Neo gear oil and eliminated a lot of the issues with the synchros going into first and fourth. The car was once again able to find first gear at around 20 mph. If you have been experiencing grinding issues, there's a chance that nothing short of replacing parts can remedy the problems.

3) Fifth gear is absolutely useless at the track

A WRX with stock tires will do a little more than 120 mph in fourth gear. As best as we can tell, fifth gear is just for highway cruising and fuel economy. There aren't many venues for club racing that warrant or have the track for speeds of more than 120 mph.

Best option here is an aftermarket gear set that has ratios more inclined to keep the WRX in its powerband throughout every gear. A close ratio system is ideal.

4) Constantly stuck between the top of first and the power in second

The thing on every WRX owner's mind is the six-speed STi transmission. Yes, this is definitely the best option for some in-between ratios; however, the expense of the transplant is not cost-effective for some of the grassroots racers, nor will it be legal under some series' rules, which require a standard transmission setup.

Changing the gear ratio in the factory box is a very effective way to go about it. There are gear sets available that help to make first gear usable by making it just a little taller, and second gear a little shorter.

5) Transmission makes noise during deceleration

This is a common problem, but technically not a problem at all. It's just a matter of inconsistent factory backlash in the ring-and-pinion gear. Some models do it more than others.

The Subaru dealership can fix the problem, but not with performance in mind. The dealership will replace the 27 -pound flywheel with a heavier model to keep the gearbox loaded, thus eliminating a decelerating noise.

Going the opposite direction with the flywheel weight will not get rid of the noise, nor will it increase it. The lighter flywheel will be noticeable in how quickly the car finds its powerband. Suggestion: Get over the noise. It's not a big deal, and certainly not worth compromising power.

In our research we have come up with a gear set that can take care of most of the rally and road racers complaints. Gimmie Gears & Accessories offers a "Sport" ratio that is most effective across the board.

The taller first gear of the sport ratio tends to fill the first to second void, and when you shift through the rest of the gears, you have a slightly shorter than stock rpm drop (approximately 750 rpm per gear), keeping the WRX in its desired powerband. The gear set has fewer, yet bigger and stronger teeth, offering the necessary strength for even heavily modified WRXs.

We contacted GT Motorsports, in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., about handling the gear install for us. Follow along as we see exactly what it takes to do a performance upgrade inside the 2002 WRX five-speed gearbox.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Yes, that is the noise I'm talking about (OP too I think). A continuous grinding/thrashing noise coming from under the hood when decelerating in gear (manual tranny). Most noticeable at lower speeds/lower gears. Clutch in and it goes away, tapping the gas also makes it go away. Also occurs during (cold) startup.

Does that sound familiar??

Yep, my car does that every time regardless of whether it's cold or warmed up. The info you posted up is quite interesting though... I guess it's just something that I'll have to live with even though it's pretty embarrassing in parking lots as I'm the noise is detectable from outside the car (as far as I can tell) :mad:

Yes I know what you mean, my neighbors often turn and look when I'm slowly driving down my street.... but now my exhaust is louder and I/they hear that more than the thrashing, but it is still very upsetting.....but what do you do about it?.....it's even worse with an aftermarket clutch too. This sort of unrefinement will likely mean this is my first and last Subaru

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Or you could be optimistic and pretend they're only looking at you while you drive down the street because your car is nice... not because of the thrashing sound :lol:

On another note, I'm actually kind of tempted to try the Neo Synthetic oils... I wonder if it's any better than the Redline stuff?

I've been using Q horsepower (Quaker State full synthetic) since my first oil change, mostly for the extra horsepower it gives me, lol. I was thinking about trying Royal Purple or Motul too. Motul is pretty pricey stuff though, more than RP?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Motul oils through my local Subie tuner is pretty cheap by the case. Comes out a bit cheaper than Mobile 1 synthetics by the bottle. I run regular Valvoline 5w30 in the engine because I bought a LOT of it cheap from the local autoparts store. I run OEM filters, which are the only ones that I know of that have the required high pressure for the bypass valve.

Since all of the posts after the OP have been from SpecB owners- I have always understood (incorrectly, possibly) that the 6-speed had quite a bit of noise associated with it on deceleration due to the straighter-cut gears. I've heard the above noise since I drove it off the lot with 29mi on it....also, after 30K, haven't had a problem putting it in 1st or any other gear...Lucky?

Also, the above list of issues seems to be talking about the 5-speed that came with the 2.0L (02-04) WRX, which had well documented problems.....Way different than our super-trannys :)

In addition to the thrashing noise, do any of you other Spec.B owners get a clattering sound if you push in the clutch too quickly? Say you're trying to park on a hill and you need to balance the throttle and clutch, and you're slipping the clutch but then quickly depress the clutch... does it make a noise? I can't tell if it's normal or not but it's been bothering me for a while.

In addition to the thrashing noise, do any of you other Spec.B owners get a clattering sound if you push in the clutch too quickly? Say you're trying to park on a hill and you need to balance the throttle and clutch, and you're slipping the clutch but then quickly depress the clutch... does it make a noise? I can't tell if it's normal or not but it's been bothering me for a while.

I've noticed that as well, especially in the lower gears. I have several turns and stops to make going out of my complex and have to keep the speeds down. I hear kind of a grinding noise when I'm coasting in 2nd gear, and a click if i engage the clutch too quickly. really annoying and kind of disturbing.

I've noticed that as well, especially in the lower gears. I have several turns and stops to make going out of my complex and have to keep the speeds down. I hear kind of a grinding noise when I'm coasting in 2nd gear, and a click if i engage the clutch too quickly. really annoying and kind of disturbing.
The only other odd noise I hear from the tranny occurs when I inadvertently leave my hand on the gear shift lever with too much force while turning. I hear a clicking noise from the gearbox when this happens - too much backward force (holding the lever down when it's in 2nd gear etc), and only in the midst of a turn.

I've had to learn to keep my hand off the thing while turning, or at least don't use it as an armrest...

Not sure if that could be what you're talking about, but that's the only other sound I can think (from under the hood at least....squeaks and rattles are another story...:))

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

• 6 months later...

Well just an update I suppose. I took it into the dealer the other day (Timmons Subaru in Long Beach,CA) to get a few things taken care of and when one of the techs drove it around he suggested that it may be clutch chatter... I have no idea if that could explain the problem but yeah.

Also, if you guys seem to get a squealing noise from a wheel (my car squealed from the left front wheel), take it to the dealership and ask to get your wheel bearings checked out. I realize it has nothing to do with the weird gnashing noise but it was something that bothered me for over 20k miles and it's finally been taken care of.

When I got my spec.b I was talking to my dad about that noise as he's owned many more cars than me. His advice was "that's what you get with a manual, learn to live with it!". I don't have a problem going into 1st but going down the nearly 30% grade on my street means either a racket from the tranny or leaving it in neutral and riding the brakes. I usually use both and don't let it bother me.

There's gotta be a better way! i have had many manuals in my day (this is admittingly my first turbo though), and i have never had this noise before... I plan to change to extra-s soon. From what i have heard, that quiets up this tranny a bit. We shall see. I also do want the dealer to look at this, as it still has plenty of 36/3 or powertrain left on it.

when i do that, i will report back. guessing in the next month or two.

And hey Elib - how's the infamous tuning on your stage 2 spec b...? i just went from a slightly modified cobb mapp to infamous last night and can already note a decent difference before the first map revision! Lovin' it

anyways, i digress... damn tranny noise.

Archived