lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

o really =/ damn how would i kno if i need new struts?

Your ride will bounce like a lowrider and when you hit bumps at speed you will hit the bumpstops with a crash. Happened to me on swifts and stock struts

Your ride will bounce like a lowrider and when you hit bumps at speed you will hit the bumpstops with a crash. Happened to me on swifts and stock struts

How long did your struts last before that started happening? I know it's only a matter of time before I have to replace mine, they're sagging already after just 7-8K miles on Cobb springs and 18K total on the car.

so no matter which springs i get eventually ill have to get new struts?...or should i jus start wit aftermarket struts?

Depending on how old your stock struts are, that may be the smartest decision. Considering you have an 06, that probably is your best course of action. You'll save a lot of money in labor doing them at the same time.

Since Bilsteins were designed for the spec B, coil overs are very expensive and Koni's require modification, Bilsteins seem to be the obvious choice unless money is no object.

My Bilstein/H&R combo takes some bumps a little rough, not certain if its just the harder ride. Bumpstops on the Bilsteins are internal

How long did your struts last before that started happening? I know it's only a matter of time before I have to replace mine, they're sagging already after just 7-8K miles on Cobb springs and 18K total on the car.

I got a year and a half or about 25 k miles before I decided to change out.

so no matter which springs i get eventually ill have to get new struts?...or should i jus start wit aftermarket struts?
I'm starting to sound like a broken record...

Shocks/struts and springs need to be "matched". If you get stiffer (or lower) springs, then you need something better suited to that than the OEM struts, which are not designed for the springs.

My Bilstein/H&R combo takes some bumps a little rough, not certain if its just the harder ride. Bumpstops on the Bilsteins are internal

Have you got a photo of the Bilstein/H&R combo? How much did it drop the car?

but overall tein has the biggest drop than the others?

for the love of god, avoid the tein s-techs; it's going to be terrible on the stock struts

if you really want to get the lowrider thing going, coilovers would probably be your best bet with the adjustable ride height and stiffer dampers, but even so with such limited suspension travel the ride comfort is going to be ass.

Just a quick note, the Koni's are rebuildable so as far as a spring shock combo it may be a better bet.

Are the HDs rebuildable? I'm sure I read the answer somewhere... but I don't recall. :)

Okay, that's what I thought. This goes as far back as we GC Impreza people loving the old Prodrive WR suspension years ago, being Bilstein products, as they were rebuildable, versus the STi KYB struts which were (and are) not.

ok now im still pretty sprung on some tein s techs but now i need some input on wut other ppl think about wut other springs are good for a niice agressive slammed look but also a pretty good comfortable ride. im deciding on either teins ralliteks eibachs or if i can find any cobbs

inputs please!!!

Dude, you need to realize that "comfortable slammed" is an oxymoron. The lower you go, the harder the hits will be, the more abusive road feedback will be, and the faster your struts will wear out. If you have to have the slammed look, you better be prepared to buy new struts and deal with a harsh ride. From my experience the Cobb springs are the closest you can get to the slammed look while retaining an acceptable ride. (assuming you're on 225/45 tires) But as you're well aware, they're no longer produced, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe call Cobb and ask if by some miracle they have a few random sets left in the warehouse? Or pony up and buy some coilovers and really dial in the look you want.

wut does anybody think about H&Rs?...according to their website they have about the same drop as the teins and have a "superb ride"...thoughts???

One of the guys at Fred Beans Subaru told me that the H&R Sport spring kit is somewhat comparable to the Eibach Pro Kit (and, thus, the MSI spring kit).

If that's what you're referring to, anyway.

One of the guys at Fred Beans Subaru told me that the H&R Sport spring kit is somewhat comparable to the Eibach Pro Kit (and, thus, the MSI spring kit).

If that's what you're referring to, anyway.

o ok but do they still have a nice aggressive look and a pretty good ride?

Everyone looking for cobb springs, do a google search "cobb springs legacy 05". There are multiple companies that appear to still have sets of the springs in stock, ready for shipping.

Here is a link: http://www.google.com/products?q=cobb+springs+legacy+05&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=uimyS86aL4KC8gar_LnPCw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CBoQrQQwAg