LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy gt for rally ???

Has anyone ever done it or heard of someone doing it ? The gentlemen at hotbits suspension says that the rear arms are going to bend frequently and told me not to bother and buy an old impreza , to bad I don't want am old impreza I want something different , any ideas on how I should go about this ? I want to race it , is there anything I can do with the suspension ??

Using an LGT for rally is like trying to tow a mobile home with a SMART car. Ain't gonna happen. And, if it does, it's not gonna end well.

Just... get an Impreza. The legacy platform was not designed with rally usage in mind.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

You can do anything you want. People are just trying to teach you why you don't want to use this chassis for that purpose.

I you do it, I think you know your not going to be the fastest car out there. but you don't need to be. Its more about the fun.

I have worked a couple of Rally's the guy's at the back all say the same thing, "It was a blast". They have big smiles on there faces when I hand them there time slip back.

We kept telling Ken Blocks wife she wasn't driving fast enough, her car was always clean, but she was having fun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've done ice racing with a 99 legacy and finished over all one year 1st over all and last season finished 2nd over all in the same legacy doing 3, 3 hour endurance races each season and never had any problems at all and this was beating out several imprezas.

granted it was a 99 and not a 4th gen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So rather than "can" or "can't" a Legacy go rallying, lets just assume it will be used for rally.

With that in mind, what problems would one look out for? What are the most likely failure points? Are there existing solutions?

For example, if the rear suspension links are fragile, are there beefier links on the market that could handle rally abuse?

• Moderators

Everything might break. If you are just doing rally cross or any rally on a fairly tame / well groomed course you should fine. If you expect to catch air time then expect things to break. Low profile tires will be no good, shocks could blow out, etc. Everything could be fixed with normal effort.

Watch out for your oil pan and rear diff. Impacts to those would have the potential to cost you a ton of money.

Body panels / paint work--well clearly you shouldn't exactly care about those.

Suspension links and stuff might see less load than just on a road course since you won't have the level of grip that you would have on tarmac. Again tho, if you are catching air at all then anything could happen.

Wheels might get torn up / bent.

Good luck, sounds like fun :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Wheels, made me remember how amazed I was when I'd watch the cars drive off, at how many small rocks and how much dirt fell out of the rear wheels.

This was at the Maine Forrest Rally last month.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Everything might break. If you are just doing rally cross or any rally on a fairly tame / well groomed course you should fine. If you expect to catch air time then expect things to break. Low profile tires will be no good, shocks could blow out, etc. Everything could be fixed with normal effort.

Watch out for your oil pan and rear diff. Impacts to those would have the potential to cost you a ton of money.

Body panels / paint work--well clearly you shouldn't exactly care about those.

Suspension links and stuff might see less load than just on a road course since you won't have the level of grip that you would have on tarmac. Again tho, if you are catching air at all then anything could happen.

Wheels might get torn up / bent.

Good luck, sounds like fun :)

Ah yeah good call on the oil pan and rear diff. I went to a rallycross earlier this month and ALL of the cars were bottoming and scraping at parts, especially in rutted or crowned parts of the course.

Same goes for the wheels and tires. They WILL get beaten up, even on short rallycross courses.

Uprated springs and dampers would be worth considering, considering how soft the stock suspension is. I think King and Rallitek make stiffer stock-height and raised springs, and companies like Drummond Motor Sports (DMS) make rally-style coilovers.

Then again if you're not doing jumps the soft springs might not be bad. Especially on really loose surfaces or snow.

I think you're best bet is to rallycross is stock and replace what gets broken or worn out as you go.

Maybe contact Paul Eklund at primitive racing and see what kind of armour he has for our cars.

Are you talking about rallycross or a really serious race car with a full rally cage?

If you are thinking a caged race rally car, be prepared to spend big $$$$.

These should give you some hints of what it takes to be a top rate contender:

http://vtcar.com/projects/

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Yes I am talking full stage rally, cage and all , all my buddies say "just do it" as the car was pretty cheap.

I understand stuff will break , I know the wheel travel is garbage , the shocks/springs will be upgraded , big $$ aren't an issue as long as it's nothing crazy over $30 000 .

So I've decided on just doing it over the past few days , what I'd like from you guys now is input on how to give me more wheel travel , is there and lifts out there ? , is there a race coilover that is made , especially for the rear as hot bits says the won't make one.

I think I've seen skid plates on the Internet somewhere for them. Is there any sites anyone would recommend ? I've been on just about all of them , but may have missed one lol.

Thanks all for your input!

Can you weld ? or dose one of your buddies know how to weld ?

What do you have for a trailer, tow vehicle and tools, air compressor, generator ?

To give an idea, we had a 40ft enclosed trailer and a 3500 Chevy to tow it. We did buy the trailer used, it was $7000. The truck was new in 2007. I still have the 18ft open trailer we started out with in 2005.

Have you thought about the big picture ?

The big picture has been thought about and shouldn't be an issue , right now I'm worried about getting the car prepped, I have contacts at a machine shop for custom fab , and know a couple welders , where I'm from , everybody and their dog is a welder lol

You can save a ton of time and $$$$ by starting with this:

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/phoenix_cars_for_sale/2007_Legacy_GT_caged_shell_001-W100.jpg

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/phoenix_cars_for_sale.php#2007_Legacy_Spec_B_Racecar

The cage would probably need a few mods to pass the rally rules, but you will be months ahead starting here.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Just got this email today, you might be interested if your close enough.

Back in May the New England Region held the first SCCA RallySprint in over a decade. It seems that event at the Team O'Neil Rally School was so successful at getting people (interested) in the sport that we've created a catch-22 as several of the people that volunteered at the first event have jumped to the other side and are competing, leaving us short on the volunteer side for the next one there on September 12. The event is one-day and low key, and is self-contained at the school. Let me know If you are interested and available to help, and please spread the word: No experience necessary - just a desire to learn and get up close to the action.

Thanks!

Matt Kennedy

rallye44@comcast.net

From the database Administrator:

If you want to respond to this email do not hit "reply", but

respond directly to rallye44@comcast.net .

Archived