LegacyGT.com

Need advice to find odd fueling problem

...at least I THINK its fueling...

No CEL, just a real stumble when going from off-throttle to on-throttle below 3k rpm, but most prominent in the 1.5 to 2k range, typical traffic-jam driving.

I did a little analysis with Torque app, and I see the short term fuel trim go from 0 off-idle to nearly -10 as the throttle opens. This is where the stumble seems to be. Then, the trim swings to + 5 ish and everything seems ok.

So I am suspecting the forward O2 sensor, but I don't know how to troubleshoot the sensor to try to confirm or dispel my theory. So questions are:

1 - Do you think I am looking in the right direction? If anyone has a suggestion on alternatives please let me know.

2 - Does anyone have suggestions on how to see if my O2 sensor needs replacement?

Thanks

Front O2 Sensor-change it with either a known good used unit or Subaru OE only. I would be about 90% that it will cure the problem. They go bad and do a lot of weird things and don't generally set CEL AND they really screw up STFT when they start to go bad.

Good luck.

Front O2 Sensor-change it with either a known good used unit or Subaru OE only. I would be about 90% that it will cure the problem. They go bad and do a lot of weird things and don't generally set CEL AND they really screw up STFT when they start to go bad.

Good luck.

I figured the sensor was bad, but I was hoping to figure some way to test the theory instead of guessing. Thanks for the advice and I'll look for a replacement. Do you think an OEM is better than a Bosch? ....and I realize that the question is only for your opinion.

Archived