LegacyGT.com

4th gen second thoughts.

silvaman61

Hey guys. As you can see by my join date I've wanted a legacy gt for years now. I'm ready to make the jump now and began reading here again. I know people come to the forum when they are having problems so the issues would appear more prevalent than in actuality, but this whole grenade for a turbo thing is giving me second thoughts. For the record I'll be looking for an 07-09 5MT GT and I'll have about 14000 to spend.

So my question is basicly if I pick one up with say 80-100k miles is it already on borrowed time?

I do plan to get a pre or post purchase inspection as I know this will vary depending on the car. I do want a turbo AWD vehicle, I know it will have problems and I am prepared to deal with that, just not an INANSB in the first months before I can swap the turbo.

Thanks

Hey guys. As you can see by my join date I've wanted a legacy gt for years now. I'm ready to make the jump now and began reading here again. I know people come to the forum when they are having problems so the issues would appear more prevalent than in actuality, but this whole grenade for a turbo thing is giving me second thoughts. For the record I'll be looking for an 07-09 5MT GT and I'll have about 14000 to spend.

So my question is basicly if I pick one up with say 80-100k miles is it already on borrowed time?

I do plan to get a pre or post purchase inspection as I know this will vary depending on the car. I do want a turbo AWD vehicle, I know it will have problems and I am prepared to deal with that, just not an INANSB in the first months before I can swap the turbo.

Thanks

Well, coming from your position, I actually kind of took a risk when I bought mine last year in June. She's an 05, which has the vf40 in her. I believe they went to the vf46 in 07. How is the vf46 to the vf40: no clue, but i would do a search to see how much problems people had with the vf46, whether modded or stock. When it warms up, I will be going stage 2, and will probably buy a turbo (used most likely) just in case if my turbo is shot while going to stage 2. Also, check the turbo before you replace it. Sometimes they're good, other times, they're bad. Don't replace unless you know the turbo is bad. Signs include noises, a lot of play in the turbo shaft, and of course, damage to the turbo's core. The thing is, most lgt's have a decent amount of mileage. This means that you need maintenance done to her, such as a timing belt and water pump, which btw, it needs to be done soon or before you buy the car with the mileage you stated. There are also a bunch of factors that go along with this as well. The point I'm trying to make is, get a compression and leak down test done before you even consider buying the car. Have someone who knows turbo'd subies perform this. But even then, there is always a possibility of the block going kaboom, the clutch burring up, and a whole bunch of stuff in between. Also, you want a good amount saved up for the just in case. Like I'm not taking about a grand or two, I'm actually talking about a few grand. Can they last? As long as you take of the car, yes. Do they a lot of problems that can cost more than the car is valued at? Yes. Would it be worth it? That is for you to decide. Now, if your looking a car with great reliability, then don't look at a lgt, let alone any turbo'd car. Now, Mr.Tris, along with a few other members, know how much of a pain these cars are, so if they respond, ask them about it to your hearts content, while ill be doing this :hide:. But seriously, if you truly want an lgt, then be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Now take my advice, and do whatever you want from it. However, in the end, if you're really set on buying this particular car, don't look for the greatest deal in terms of price, but rather the greatest deal in terms of how it was cared for and the condition it is currently in. And now the final part of this long post (sorry about that :redface:) is that IMHO, I would say no to buying one…may not be the best opinion, especially since I own one :lol::rolleyes:, but still, don't buy one unless your willing to pay to play.

Thanks

To have 14k to spend, I'd suggest you find a nice 5th Gen instead. Great fit and finish, nice, new interior with bluetooth and ipod connectivity -- throw down on one of those.

Otherwise, it's a neverending "needs" this and "needs" that, and if you haven't replaced a shortblock, wondering just when it'll blow up on you. Nice use of my hashtag, btw.

Anything over 100k is closer to death than a longer life, even with the best of maintenance history.

I heavily researched 4th Gen LGT back in 2012 and initially was targeting either 08/09 LGT/Spec.b/OBXT or 05 LGT Wagon. I read the how is your 4th holding up thread while traveling for work and regularly read the forum for my research (~6 months).

I was also very concerned about the engine failures. It seemed like to me their was 2 failure categories the engine fail into. Tune related detonation and turbo failures with the VF40's.

Tune related detonation with modify engines seems to be common 'problem' with many turbo Subaru's. I put 'problem' in quotes, I thinks its more of tune® problem especially if the owner thinks all mods are plugin and play. The tune is the most important part of modifying a motor.

Personally If I bought a 05-06 LGT, my plan was to remove the banjo filter immediately and I was planning on replacing the turbo and oil lines in the 100k range. I disagree with replacing the turbo only if checks out. The problem is that if the turbo is bad and isn't immediately noticed it often ruins the motor. Even if you catch the turbo failure before it does damage, its an immediate repair that needs to be done before that engine is driven another mile. Your stuck without a car, perhaps inconvenient time, place or weather. My rationalization if the car has over 100k is that eventually its going to need a replacement turbo, if you buy a a new turbo/lines, it should last another 100k miles trouble free miles and you don't risk having to replace the engine due to a failed turbo. I haven't been following the 4th Gen so I have no idea on how the later turbo are holding up now that they have more miles on them.

Anyways, I was going to risk buying one but I was going to pass on any LGT with hint of a red flag. If you are really worried about buying someone elses problem, you may want to look at '15 WRX's. They are similiar size. You buy them new and not have to worry about what the previous owner did.

My rationalization if the car has over 100k is that eventually its going to need a replacement turbo, if you buy a a new turbo/lines, it should last another 100k miles trouble free miles and you don't risk having to replace the engine due to a failed turbo.

Wrong. These aren't 200k mile motors.

If you've got some cash to throw around, I suggest you follow my Shopping List and rebuild plan. Shit, it's not too hard to find an LGT with a blown motor these days, and it shouldn't be too much harder to find one that's got a good, straight body and a nice interior, too. After the motor work and a good Stage2 tune, all that's left is suspension, which, unlike motor work, can be pieced along over as long of a period as you can afford -

Wrong. These aren't 200k mile motors.

Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't buy an used LGT. I was expecting to get at least 100-125k miles out of a LGT. ie if I bought 50k mile example I was expecting to get at least 150k-175k without a major engine repair.

Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't buy an used LGT. I was expecting to get at least 100-125k miles out of a LGT. ie if I bought 50k mile example I was expecting to get at least 150k-175k without a major engine repair.

Not likely.

Well, first you'll have to find a ten-year-old used car with 50k or less. That, in and of itself is a scavenger hunt rarely completed.

If'n you want (or need) 150-175k out of a motor, you're best off with an NA Subaru. All the traction, and reliability you can shake a stick at. If you want want fun, it doesn't last that long-- really 120k is about the time you want to start thinking about #ynansb; sooner if it's spent the majority of those miles on the stock tune and owned by people who didn't give it a proper diet.

When i buy my next 09 LGT or OBXT ill budget in for a new SB, head and systems clean up. I like the idea of having a known engine health baseline, when I buy again (late '15 or early '16) that will be impossible. However the car prices will be such that i will still come out not burned and have a decent car. My 06 Camry is holding up well however.

Well, first you'll have to find a ten-year-old used car with 50k or less. That, in and of itself is a scavenger hunt rarely completed.

If'n you want (or need) 150-175k out of a motor, you're best off with an NA Subaru.

I was just using my situation 3 years ago when I was considering a used LGT. I wasn't clear about where I came up with 50k miles.

My rational is that car will have 75k miles on it once I am done paying it off (5 year loan). The practical side of me wants to get another 25-50k of payment free miles (and hopefully minimal repairs.) I don't neccesarily need to get 150 or 200k miles out of a car, but my expecatation was if I spent 20-25k on a used car I wanted to get some more miles out of it once I paid it off.

And you can get 150-175K miles out of a well maintained EJ255 hell there were a few Spec.Bs that sold on here north of 160K miles and one for sale right now with 200K+ miles so its possible just very dependent on the owner and luck :)

Archived