LegacyGT.com

Wrong gas

The real issue with E85 is, it's not friendly to traditional paper fuel filters and fuel lines. Alcohol traps moisture and moisture is not friendly on the paper fuel filter in the trunk. It also can cause rust in the tank and in the hardline fuel lines.

Next issue is the tune, E85's stoichiometric ratio (9.8:1 AFR) is much lower then regular fuel (14.7:1 AFR), thus your stock tune will try to run it 5 points leaner, which means the motor wont be happy and will bog while cruising (same as trying to run 19.7:1 AFR's on gas). While E85 has better knock threshold due to better octane rating, it still will be very lean at full throttle, which is not good either.

Honestly your best bet is to get under the car and fine the gas tank, there should be two drain holes for each section of the tank (it's split into two to allow for the rear driveshaft to fit). Then you really should consider replacing the fuel filter, it's around $80. On the bright side, your car probably has enough miles to need a new fuel filter anyway.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

How do you accidentally put E85 into your car? Isn't it hard to find and more expensive then normal pump gas?

Depending on where OP lives, it might have been the cheapest option, and/or dad thought it was the 'sporty' gas.

Whenever folks borrow my car, I leave explicit instructions with DOs and DON'Ts. Puts a stop to people borrowing your car pretty quickly. :lol:

Depending on where OP lives, it might have been the cheapest option, and/or dad thought it was the 'sporty' gas.

Whenever folks borrow my car, I leave explicit instructions with DOs and DON'Ts. Puts a stop to people borrowing your car pretty quickly. :lol:

I do the same, I tell them just let me fill it up and pay for the gas. But if you must, you must use Shell 93 only, must let the pump punch out twice only, must write down miles driven, and reset the trip odometer.

That's with my turbo Nissans, Sadly I don't feel comfortable lending my Subaru's. Because then I had to add, make sure you check the oil week/100 miles, make sure not to floor it too much... :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm in Denver. E85 is like regular gas here. The highest octane we have is 91. I think it's due to the dry climate and elevation.

...what? E85 is still pretty rare in denver. My friends that run e85 have to calculate trips carefully so they never run out of fuel

Archived