LegacyGT.com

Yes another catless DP thread

tjbev21

well heres another catless DP thread for the records lol. (sorry guys)

Ive read just about every catted vs catless DP thread on this site and id say if there was a poll 60% hated catless and 40% said others are just complaining too much, and its not as bad as described (noise, and smell wise)

going through these threads i saw a lot of the negative responses were some very very low post count members. i know that really dosent make a difference but id rather take advice from someone that lives on this site like i do, and has some legit knowledge lol..

so if you have a catless DP give me a honest to god review, because im really beside myself on selling my ERZ catted DP and going for the catless version down the road,the noise wont bother me i really dont want i unbearble smell though.

i will be running a cxl CBE (x02) ive heard both reving vids of that cbe with a catted and catless DP and really cant tell that much of a sound difference..

help me with my desision, since the catless will help me reach my coilover funding sooner im all for it lol

I can help! I have a Megan cattless DP and an X02 CBE, not to mention a stubby sts. We're pretty much like brothers.

I bought both a Megan UP and DP brand new from a member for $200 and I did the install myself. I had no prior experience working on exhaust systems and it took me about six hours with a friend.

I've been cattless since the beginning of this past summer and have 0 complaints. Sometimes when I dog it with the windows down I'll get a little gas smell, but it's not terrible and disipates quickly.

I could not justifying spending 2-3 times as much on a pipe with a cat.

Stage 2 really woke up my car and I did it for $200. Cattless FTW.

You will really only smell it when idling, in traffic, etc. Its those behind you who will always smell it. It is louder, but you said you don't care. It offers a few more HP, maybe 2-3. It saves you about $150, give or take. Don't know emission law in IL, so I can't comment there. But Al Gore will hate you for it, lol.

It smells, and you'll smell it. The more sensitive your sense of smell, the worse it'll be.

Driving catless you begin to get in-tune with the wind direction. Stopped at a light, if I'm tail to the wind, I'll switch over to recirc.

Cruising at low speed with the windows open also gets annoying. You'd think you wouldn't pull in exhaust, but the slight vacuum caused by the windows, and the trunk vents, pull enough in to be noticeable. On the other hand, if you always keep the hvac on recirc/ac, and never open the windows, you might never notice it.

The sound difference between catted and catless is minuscule compared to the smell difference.

Went catless on my old bugeye, gave up and welded in a cat. Went catless on my LGT, now I'm thinking of welding in a cat (or going ERZ). I guess I never learn.

lol yea ive decided im just going to keep my catted ERZ since ill be going to school in SC soon, that 14-15 hour drive between here and chicago, im sure the drone/smell would piss me off lol

I'd say you made the wise choice.

For those of you who think that it doesn't smell, try setting aside the clothes that you wore after driving your car for a while. Then, take a whiff a day after not driving the car.

I've got a catless garage queen and will never go catless for a daily driver. Hell, I just might slap the cat back on that car too if I ever start driving it regularly again.

lol i just did a log for infamous, and from time to time when i get on the gas i always get a funny smell in the cabin like exhaust or kinda like burnt clutch its hard to tell.. but im like wtf? the clutch isnt slipping at all..

so im like well i never pay attention but being a smoker my driver window is usually always cracked, so im like huh maybe i just smell it when the window is cracked because of the vaccumm effect..

so i bust a u turn and go down my log road again =) lol put all the windows up and WOT 2nd and 3rd gear, didnt smell a thing... i have stock DP, UP, and CBE just a muffler delete.. so im guessing thosee damn trunk vents are to blame lol phew i though i might be needing a new clutch soon

I ran catless on my 98 grand prix gtp for over 5 years, smell wasnt too bad. sound was amazing, slight rasp if you call it that. catless was worth it for my set up. for my LGT now i plan on getting the catted ERZ 5eat pipe when released. new technology in high flow cats really doesnt effect flow and maybe a 2-3 horse difference.

Is it just me, or is there a whole slew of ERZ downpipes being used all the sudden? Seems like just a few months ago I fit their "WRX" downpipe on my SpecB (wait.. it was, lol).

Now, I too am anxiously awaiting their release of the 5EAT Catted DP (2 months I hear). For the price of an ERZ catted DP, it really makes sense to go catted.

• 2 months later...
I'm going to try stuffing a towel down the side where the vents are in order to "filter" the air coming in. I can even see all the dust buildup under the trunk lining. I think a towel in each side would work unless I cover the damn things in plastic. I have seen those vents in other cars and they vent out but not in and ours go back and forth. it really is a poor design!

Archived